Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Jedi Order vs. Legacy of the Force

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
New Jedi Order vs. Legacy of the Force

Bayrat
03.25.2014 , 02:44 PM | #1
Hello Everyone!

I Was wanting to start reading some of the Star Wars novels that take place after ROTJ. Ive read some Clone War stuff a couple years ago but that's really the extent of my Star Wars novel Reading. And I'm having a hard time choosing between the New Jedi Order Series and Legacy of the Force. Now I know NJO chronologically comes before LOTF, But I'm still conflicted and before I start this undertaking, on account of how many books are in each series, I wanted peoples thoughts. From what research I've done, with out spoilers, NJO's main enemy is an Alien race that comes to the galaxy and causes all sorts of trouble. And on the Other hand, I hear LOTF is more classic Star Wars, Jed vs. Sith. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks, Bayrat

SammyGStatus
03.25.2014 , 03:30 PM | #2
LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEDDDD LOTF. The entire storyline is amazing. I was overseas playing soccer in Europe a few years back when I started reading betrayal, and I was often almost late to the pitch for being unable to put the book down. The entire series is fantastic, and offers a lot of unique insights into the perspective of someone like Jacen. NJO is definitely worth reading too, and chronologically it does come first, so it's really up to you - I personally enjoyed the LOTF series more
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

DarthDymond
03.25.2014 , 03:48 PM | #3
Heir to the Empire Trilogy -> Jedi Academy Trilogy -> Young Jedi Knights Series (if you can stomach YA books, at least the first six books which can probably be read in a weekend and were compiled in Rise of the Shadow Academy) -> Hand of Thrawn Duology -> New Jedi Order Series -> Legacy of the Force Series.
Fill in the gaps (the rest of the Bantam era novels, the Marvel and Dark Horse comics, and the Dark Nest Trilogy) with recaps/synopses in the Essential Readers Companion or on Wookieepedia.

If you're set on starting with either NJO or LotF, do it in chronological order, with New Jedi Order first. Legacy of the Force just does not have anywhere near the same punch if you haven't had the setup with the Solo kids, Mara Jade, Pellaeon, Jagged Fel, Tahiri, etc. that's established by their appearances and adventures in earlier books such as NJO.

But seriously, the Heir to the Empire Trilogy is the place to start for the post-RotJ era if you haven't already read them. They're some of the best written Star Wars novels overall, and they introduce a lot of characters who will be almost as important as the movie characters for the rest of the EU - just ignore a few timeline issues with the Clone Wars since it was written before the Prequels came out.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

YoshiRaphElan
03.25.2014 , 05:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEDDDD LOTF. The entire storyline is amazing. I was overseas playing soccer in Europe a few years back when I started reading betrayal, and I was often almost late to the pitch for being unable to put the book down. The entire series is fantastic, and offers a lot of unique insights into the perspective of someone like Jacen. NJO is definitely worth reading too, and chronologically it does come first, so it's really up to you - I personally enjoyed the LOTF series more

How can you post something like this? How?

Spoiler

So, to the OP, definitely read NJO first. And if you want to read LOTF afterwards, do so, but just remember it spits in the eye of everything that happens during NJO.

SammyGStatus
03.26.2014 , 07:53 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by YoshiRaphElan View Post

How can you post something like this? How?

Spoiler

So, to the OP, definitely read NJO first. And if you want to read LOTF afterwards, do so, but just remember it spits in the eye of everything that happens during NJO.
LOL!!! I completely agree with
Spoiler
Renegade-One / Leggogurl / Aimbot / Even'ess / Status

YoshiRaphElan
03.26.2014 , 10:07 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by SammyGStatus View Post
LOL!!! I completely agree with
Spoiler
Beg to differ.

Spoiler

DarthDymond
03.26.2014 , 11:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by YoshiRaphElan View Post
Beg to differ.

Spoiler
That's the thing though:
Spoiler
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate, and thus defy the tyrannous stars. ~Kain

Refer A Friend Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/2gNj3d to get the free stuff detailed here

YoshiRaphElan
03.26.2014 , 12:22 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
That's the thing though:
Spoiler
Well, we'll just have to disagree. The fact of the matter is

Spoiler

Jedi_Knight_Jess
03.31.2014 , 01:43 AM | #9
Do NOT like LOTF. At all!

I began with the Junior Jedi Knight < Young Jedi Knight< New Jedi Order.......I may stop there.... I didn't even bother reading the Fate books

MrGoldsilver
04.16.2014 , 08:41 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthDymond View Post
But seriously, the Heir to the Empire Trilogy is the place to start for the post-RotJ era if you haven't already read them. They're some of the best written Star Wars novels overall, and they introduce a lot of characters who will be almost as important as the movie characters for the rest of the EU - just ignore a few timeline issues with the Clone Wars since it was written before the Prequels came out.
Don't forget the awesome X-Wing series (Yub Yub Commander, RIP Aaron Allston), if you want to know more about the Starfighter pilots (plus certain NJO books contain characters from the X-wing series, and it might be confusing as to who they are)
If war is peace, but peace is a lie, does that make war a lie also?

Who cares who my toons are... Just look for that guy playing all the stupid specs
Also, nerf operatives