Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we please have an authorization button before becoming a referral

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we please have an authorization button before becoming a referral
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

GythralSWTOR
01.03.2014 , 08:24 AM | #11
+1 on the Accept button

But can we also have a "Shred the scum's account" button too, along with an update so that it works correctly for legitimate users of the scheme & not just for the few scammers that get lucky!

Jacen_Starsolo
01.03.2014 , 08:27 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
I'm confused. The referral info page says that the referred person needs to become a subscriber for the referrer to gain any benefits. Is there an exploit whereby this is not actually required and just clicking the link grants the benefits to the referrer? Otherwise I'd see the requirement to create an account or reactivate an existing one as a pretty big "ok button".

The info page also implies that a currently active subscriber cannot gain any benefits by clicking a referral link. Illgot's signature suggests otherwise though. I suppose this can be exploited through creating a new account and mailing the items to the existing one. AFAIK the character transfer is not an item though, so illgot's link is misleading on that part.
Active sub clicking it attaches the one who clicks to the referral.

jkuhl
01.03.2014 , 08:47 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Laurreth View Post
And yet you are running the very same scam in your signature in signal colours without disclosing your gain from the whole thing.

Yes, please add a confirmation step that prominently displays the account name that would receive referral benefits in huge, bold letters.
Not sure how his sig is a scam when it clearly states "referral"

Such a thing needs a confirmation, should never have been automatic in the first place.
Suzetta - Sith Marauder / Avaeris - Jedi Sentinel
Rae'vi - Sith Sorcerer / Esthene - Jedi Shadow
Tim'zahn - Sniper / Amaelya - Scoundrel
Kas'mi - Mercenary / Ismarae - Vanguard

DataBeaver
01.03.2014 , 08:55 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
The info applies, as long as the referred person (the clicker) is NOT already a subscriber.
But won't the clicker at least need to create an account on the site? Otherwise I could just open my own referral link on a bunch of different computers and get thousands of free cartel coins. Even if the account is required but subscription is not, it seems like an easy way to get extra cartel coins by creating some throwaway accounts.

Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
There is however a bug (or a very bad design failure) in the code, which allows current subscribers (us) to click the link and also be treated as a referral... the current subscriber gets the benefits, but the linker also gets their CC. Both of which should not be happening, as EA does not gain anything from it.
So if I'm logged in to the site while clicking such a link, the magic happens? That does sound quite bad. I imagine a lot of people who would click SW:TOR-related links are subscribers.

In theory BW/EA should be able to retroactively track down these bogus referrals and remove the cartel coins. It gets harder if the coins have already been spent though.

MillionsKNives
01.03.2014 , 09:01 AM | #15
Clicking an official link should never change settings or my account status, ever. All changes need to require permission to be enacted, and clicking a link is not giving permission. It's crazy that this ever made it live without any form of confirmation.

Jandi
01.03.2014 , 09:12 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MillionsKNives View Post
Clicking an official link should never change settings or my account status, ever. All changes need to require permission to be enacted, and clicking a link is not giving permission. It's crazy that this ever made it live without any form of confirmation.
It smacks of naivete or inexperience of the people making these things. Maybe BW will learn some day that before making something work, they need to make it exploit proof.

I also agree that referrals acquired with a deceptive link should be removed and the poster perma-banned. There is no room for claiming ignorance, they are knowingly and with intent deceiving others to exploit an obvious mistake on BWs part. Just like knowingly exploiting something in-game warrants a ban. Especially since they get CC for it.

Aries_cz
01.03.2014 , 09:54 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DataBeaver View Post
But won't the clicker at least need to create an account on the site? Otherwise I could just open my own referral link on a bunch of different computers and get thousands of free cartel coins. Even if the account is required but subscription is not, it seems like an easy way to get extra cartel coins by creating some throwaway accounts.

So if I'm logged in to the site while clicking such a link, the magic happens? That does sound quite bad. I imagine a lot of people who would click SW:TOR-related links are subscribers.

In theory BW/EA should be able to retroactively track down these bogus referrals and remove the cartel coins. It gets harder if the coins have already been spent though.
If the system worked as intended, hen yes, the "referred" player would need to create account and become subscriber for the "owner" of the link to get rewards. But, because someone mucked up while coding it, if a logged in subscriber (so pretty much every subscriber who reads forums and uses cookies) clicks it, he gets added as a "referred" player and the "owner" get the reward automatically, which is pretty bad...

And BW is able of locating the "owners" of the links and remove you, if you call them on the support, so they probably could remove the Coins, but I am not sure if they do that...
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Insanator
01.03.2014 , 09:59 AM | #18
when you say linked, in what way?
We have the highest midichloriann count
Which means that you have a lesser amount

My Referral Link

EricMusco
01.03.2014 , 10:01 AM | #19 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by illgot View Post
The referral issue is your fault Bioware. You created a system which allows people to imbed their referral and disguise it as any link, then once clicked it automatically attaches people to the referrer.

You need to implement an authorization in the form of an "Accept" button before it automatically links peoples accounts.

We also need to start permanently banning any account which hides their referral as anything but a referral and wipe all their referrals clean.
It is funny you should mention that illgot, that is our exact plan. We are planning to add a confirmation box when using someone's referral link. This way if someone attempts to trick someone into becoming a referral, they will get a confirmation box before accepting. I have no timeline at this moment but I am hoping it should happen sometime in January.

Also I want to take this time to alert everyone of a forum rule. Due to the possible "trick" nature of using your referral link to trick someone into unintentionally becoming your referral, we are not allowing use of your referral links here on the forums until this issue is resolved. Whether that is being honest about what the link is, or trying to hide it, it will be removed. Any egregious breach of this rule can result in infraction points.

Thanks for understanding as we work to improve this system!

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Aries_cz
01.03.2014 , 10:05 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
It is funny you should mention that illgot, that is our exact plan. We are planning to add a confirmation box when using someone's referral link. This way if someone attempts to trick someone into becoming a referral, they will get a confirmation box before accepting. I have no timeline at this moment but I am hoping it should happen sometime in January.

Also I want to take this time to alert everyone of a forum rule. Due to the possible "trick" nature of using your referral link to trick someone into unintentionally becoming your referral, we are not allowing use of your referral links here on the forums until this issue is resolved. Whether that is being honest about what the link is, or trying to hide it, it will be removed. Any egregious breach of this rule can result in infraction points.

Thanks for understanding as we work to improve this system!

-eric
Thanks Eric, that is a welcome change, although the Support guys are pretty understanding about this problem, once they realize what it is
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link