Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Advice for upgrading GPU please?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Advice for upgrading GPU please?

Dropadeuce
11.25.2013 , 01:30 PM | #31
Turn off bloom. Turn off shadows. And turn off class symbols under nameplates. Turn down grass and tree quality. Then install the direct x 9 update at http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...010_redist.exe . Make sure you have the latest AMD driver installed.

Ventonix
11.25.2013 , 03:21 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by DKNS View Post
GTX760 costs more than the AMD R9 280X while giving less performance.

OP

For CPU monitoring, use Core Temp (be careful while installing, it does have some bloatware)
For GPU monitoring, use GPU Temp

Now run SWTOR in Windowed mode while leaving space at the bottom only enough to see your GPU and CPU usage. Just decrease the resolution slightly to get the gap, reducing it too much will decrease the load on your CPU & GPU.
Haha ok thanks I'll get GPU Temp, but I won't need to do all that because I have two monitors
Valkyrev Level 55 Commando
The Bastion

Ventonix
11.25.2013 , 03:26 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Dropadeuce View Post
Turn off bloom. Turn off shadows. And turn off class symbols under nameplates. Turn down grass and tree quality. Then install the direct x 9 update at http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...010_redist.exe . Make sure you have the latest AMD driver installed.
Yes I have done all that. I've seen improvements but I'm still getting bad fps in warzones :\
The Bastion

psikofunkster
11.25.2013 , 03:53 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by dakisback View Post
This game is pretty poorly optimized any upgrades you get aren't going to do much for your FPS.

I have an i7 3770k and a GTX 680 4GB I run at 2560x1440 and sometimes even my framerate drops into the 30's in warzones.
^ This.

Ventonix
11.25.2013 , 04:02 PM | #35
Ok I played a few warzones with GPU Temp and Windows Task Manager open to see the usage percentages.

Oddly, the GPU core load never went over 50% and the temperature stayed around 67 degrees Celsius. The CPU usage never went over 30 percent but my fps in the warzone was 30 - 50.

Remember I have an i5 2500 @ 3.30GHZ and a AMD HD Radeon 6850 1 GB

I don't know what to make of this. Shouldn't the GPU be used a lot more than it is in game? Now I'm confused
The Bastion

spectreclees
11.25.2013 , 04:54 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Ventonix View Post
Ok I played a few warzones with GPU Temp and Windows Task Manager open to see the usage percentages.

Oddly, the GPU core load never went over 50% and the temperature stayed around 67 degrees Celsius. The CPU usage never went over 30 percent but my fps in the warzone was 30 - 50.

Remember I have an i5 2500 @ 3.30GHZ and a AMD HD Radeon 6850 1 GB

I don't know what to make of this. Shouldn't the GPU be used a lot more than it is in game? Now I'm confused
Aye, this happens to me too. In pretty intensive situations like PvP my GPU load never goes above 50. But when I'm in an area where nothing is going on my GPU will sometimes skyrocket to 80%, like up in the VIP area for example. It's bad coding on the games part, it doesn't utilize your hardware correctly.

GoldenHornet
11.25.2013 , 05:39 PM | #37
Just a quick indicator as to the nature of your framerate bottleneck, pop up the fps display in SWTOR (ctrl+shift+f) and look at the colour of the reading.

From this post - http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...97&postcount=8 - the explaination is as follows:

Quote:
So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card
Green = Simulation bound/CPU
Yellow = Mix of both
Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so)
Hope that points you in the right direction.

spectreclees
11.25.2013 , 06:17 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldenHornet View Post
Just a quick indicator as to the nature of your framerate bottleneck, pop up the fps display in SWTOR (ctrl+shift+f) and look at the colour of the reading.

From this post - http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...97&postcount=8 - the explaination is as follows:

Hope that points you in the right direction.
As a side note to this, I am quite certain if you run with V-sync the meter will be a constant green. Don't know if the OP said he is running v-sync or not. It's because your GPU is being throttled down to conserve energy and limit the frames it can produce to give a smoother experience.

Ventonix
11.25.2013 , 06:54 PM | #39
I turned off V-Sync and didn't really notice a difference other than there not being an FPS cap and it sometimes going up to 110 for no reason. It was still 30 - 50 FPS in warzones. I have never seen my GPU load go over 50 percent while playing this game...so that's concerning as well.

More importantly though, now that I know what the colors mean for the fps in game reading, it is always red. So I guess this means its my GPU that sn't rendering up to par with my CPU.
The Bastion

TominatorBriss
11.25.2013 , 07:31 PM | #40
My Laptop

Lenovo G710

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4000M CPU @ 2.40GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 2.4 GHz
Number of Cores 4

Video Card 1 Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Chipset Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
Dedicated Memory 16 MB
Manufacturer Intel
Total Memory 1.8 GB

Video Card 2 NVIDIA GeForce GT 720M
Chipset GeForce GT 720M
Dedicated Memory 1.0 GB
Total Graphics Memory 3.8 GB

Memory 6.0 GB
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit

Taken From System Requirements lab

I can run game on Highest graphics with no lag at all not even on the fleet, 16m ops or warzones so try to find a desktop version of parts matching those specs or higher also try this link: http://www.covenantofthephoenix.com/...ing-framerate/

Helped me run this game on a modded dell 1545 ati graphics edition laptop and that is older than your pc.
Also remember that you can have the best Graphics card in the world but if the game dont support it in performance then what good is it. ( from someone who has been building and modding pc and laptops for 6 years)