Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any LGBT guilds on Harbinger?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Any LGBT guilds on Harbinger?

Jiminison
11.21.2013 , 11:06 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Golconda View Post
Just so people know, it isn't about offensive because I can tell you that our guilds can be offensive. The difference is that they don't feel judged for talking about a date that they went on. You have to understand that at least in our guild, many of our members have been friends online for many years and in many cases have visited each other at yearly gatherings that we have.

Community and comfort is the bigger picture here rather than being PC or making people excluded because we don't have a white, straight male guild (which for reference is a large portion of guilds already). The difference is that GLBT have to deal every day sitting at a table with people who do not have the same issues or concerns that they do and having a place to regroup and be comfortable is an oasis.
Who talks about what date they go on when playing starwars. Other than that birds of a feather flock together always have always will and that's ok and can make a guild a more pleasant experience. I just need to find a guild of a bunch of old people who's joints ache all the time.

Jiminison
11.21.2013 , 11:15 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by slafko View Post
I understand what you're saying but I still don't see the point of said guilds. I mean, I understand why people make russian, hungarian, swedish, italian, choose-nationality guilds. What I don't understand is the point and idea of strictly LGBT guilds. They're just gimping themselves for the sake of no benefits at all. No logic baffles me.
Sharing the same ideology should make a Guild stronger and cause a band of brothers effect so I get it and see no prob with it. I would like to ask if there are any guilds with a constitutionalist or tea party ideology?

Jiminison
11.21.2013 , 11:25 AM | #83
This is a question I'd like to throw out there if some calls to make a cis or call it straight guild what will be the response. I think that will answer this debate from both sides it will either show hey see it's ok to have your own group of Ideologues and we are all free to have our own guild Identity with beliefs and chosen life style or "hey only we should have an Identity in this game because of x or Y clearly cracking this egg open either way the truth is known and equality for all established and hopefully we can all get along in this game. If there is truly an militant agenda from either side it will be exposed.

markcymru
11.21.2013 , 11:46 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
This is a question I'd like to throw out there if some calls to make a cis or call it straight guild what will be the response. I think that will answer this debate from both sides it will either show hey see it's ok to have your own group of Ideologues and we are all free to have our own guild Identity with beliefs and chosen life style or "hey only we should have an Identity in this game because of x or Y clearly cracking this egg open either way the truth is known and equality for all established and hopefully we can all get along in this game. If there is truly an militant agenda from either side it will be exposed.
Interesting. I'd point out that being LGBT isn't an 'ideology', or a 'belief' per se (although it may result in us having different beliefs or perspectives than many mainstream people do), or a 'chosen life style' per se (although we do invoke our right to live our lives how we want to). We were born the way we are, just as you were born the way you are. Difficult to see how that's parallel to being a constitutionalist or a Tea Partier. Not being American, I'm blessed in not having to live amongst believers like that!
Maana Mungu aliupenda ulimwengu hivi hata akamtoa Mwana wake wa pekee, ili kila amwaminiye asipotee, bali awe na uzima wa milele

OddballEasyEight
11.21.2013 , 12:21 PM | #85
Who talks about what date they go on when playing starwars. Other than that birds of a feather flock together always have always will and that's ok and can make a guild a more pleasant experience. I just need to find a guild of a bunch of old people who's joints ache all the time.
Well, in my guild, just this last week, people have discussed 1 date, 2 job interviews, 4 nights out and 3 bad days at work.
And those were just the times when I was online to read about it.
People talk about stuff that is not star wars related in guilds you know...
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

OddballEasyEight
11.21.2013 , 12:41 PM | #86
Well, as far as I know there are no LGBT "only" guilds... there are LGBT guilds, but they accept straight people too.
LGBT is not a requirement, it's just a special interest so to speak.
Kinda like a "Heavy Roleplaying" guild or a guild for russians... no different really...

There is no "agenda" here...

However, a "straights only" guild would be excluding people because of their sexual preferences and thus discriminating...
Just like a "whites only" or "fighter pilots only" guild...
And that is against the rules.
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

Klarick
11.21.2013 , 02:51 PM | #87
Is it LGBT or GLBT? Im confused as you people are using both acronyms. I thought it was LGBT. Did it change? Did the G's have a fight with the L's and the G's won? So now it is GBLT.....

Confusion .....

There are so many words we cant use these days to describe certain lifestyle choices, and I want to make sure im using the right one.....so as not to offend of course.
Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

Raina_Que
11.22.2013 , 02:48 PM | #88
To me having a LGBT guild sounds like self imposed segregation which to me is worse then having someone else forcefully segregate you. If you are in a Guild that allows members to make degrading comments about race, nationality, religion, sex, sexuality or anything else that can be hurtful then it is not a Guild worth being in.

As a GM I do my best to be fair about everything. I do not allow political or religious debate in Guild Chat because they are hot topics and someone is bound to take offense. I know we have members of the LBGT community in my Guild and I treat them like everyone else and they can abide by the same rules. If they wish to talk about there significant other they can share if they wish I will not allow judgement from anyone in the Guild because of it. I talk about my husband and son and would not deny them the right to talk about there loved ones.

I had one guy who tried to make commits about there being too many lesbians in the Guild and I booted him as soon as I found out. I would do the same if someone made any form of derogatory commits about anyone in the Guild. My Guild is a happy place and drama is not allowed.

JaydedHunter
11.22.2013 , 05:01 PM | #89
ITT: people need to get thicker skins.

Incidentally it also helps IRL.