Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I want my name restored NOW.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
I want my name restored NOW.

Terin
11.17.2013 , 05:18 PM | #31
Here's the thing; when we create our characters, there is an expectation we actually get to keep those names. I, and many other players, went to extreme lengths to secure our names at Launch, or even before. We got screwed over.

I don't care how fair or unfair anybody think the situation is, the fact is that things happened and their most loyal players got the shaft. To even suggest that BioWare isn't accountable for that mistake is nonsense, not to mention heinously irresponsible.

This isn't how you run an MMO, and the silence and deflections I've encountered are not how you treat your consumer, either. I'm normally a very easy-going, level-headed person, but this has just reached a boil, and I'm fed up with the whole mindset that "It's their game, they can treat you however they want".

And yes, I do feel entitled; entitled to the name I reserved, back before Launch, that I went out of my way to secure a Collector's Edition for, that I've remained subscribed hoping that something would be done to rectify this. I feel entitled to my own identity, without having to worry that I'll suffer another arbitrary name-change at any moment, "just 'cause".

It's not my fault the game didn't turn out as outrageously popular as the Developers/Publisher expected, and I shouldn't have to pay the price for it.

ivanhedgehog
11.17.2013 , 10:16 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by DMSL View Post
I feel for you original poster.

This is an oversight on Bioware's part. Not only was the merger consolidation a joke, releaseing Legacy names was another. I see people walking around now with the same last name as i have and it annoys the crap out of me. They should've made them unique first come first serve or better yet made them account names. As for character names i still can't understand why they allowed people to use symbols above names.

I had to rename four characters because of this and the players that have the original names are never on. Luckily i still have my main character name, otherwise i would've rage quit this game a long time ago.

I have said it before in other posts and i'll say it again, i want the original names back and my own unique Legacy name.
I was using the name Ming back in the mid 80's. I demand the devs release it for my use and chastise the person hogging it. And I want a pony.

Kantoro
11.17.2013 , 10:32 PM | #33
I Lol'd

Self entitled much? You quit, you lost your name, move along.

I love the demand though, you want your name now or what? You will demand it again?

Some people's priorities, eesh.
Stupid should be painful.
Thorns shall not bar my path, I am the Thornwalker.

Larishet
11.17.2013 , 10:38 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by DMSL View Post
I feel for you original poster.

This is an oversight on Bioware's part. Not only was the merger consolidation a joke, releaseing Legacy names was another. I see people walking around now with the same last name as i have and it annoys the crap out of me. They should've made them unique first come first serve or better yet made them account names. As for character names i still can't understand why they allowed people to use symbols above names.

I had to rename four characters because of this and the players that have the original names are never on. Luckily i still have my main character name, otherwise i would've rage quit this game a long time ago.

I have said it before in other posts and i'll say it again, i want the original names back and my own unique Legacy name.
Wow yea. Unique legacy name for sure.

How many other people actually have the same last name. I mean, it couldn't really be that common could it???

Laiov
11.18.2013 , 12:04 AM | #35
Terin
n.
1. A small yellow singing bird, with an ash-colored head; the European siskin. Called also tarin.
2. as a girl's name is a variant of Erin (Gaelic), and the meaning of Terin is "Ireland".

Always sucks to lose a name - I lost all but one of my prerelease names in a server merge - but you have to expect this to happen when you select for a name some term already in common use in your target language. This is sort of like demanding the name "eagle" be released to you.
Main: 55 Sorcerer @ The Shadowlands
Origin: 50 Sniper @ Thana Vesh

PaladinSoul
11.18.2013 , 12:20 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Terin View Post
I pre-ordered the CE purely for early-access so that I could reserve my name, "Terin". It was a name I cherished, until several MANDATORY server-merges rendered me unable to keep the name.

Quite frankly, I'm tired of asking. I want my name back.

I play on the Jedi Covenant server, and unless you can verify that the person who currently holds the name "Terin" also pre-ordered the CE, for the extra early-access time, and has also been using the name Terin since launch, then I see no reason I should have to "get used" to having a crappy, placeholder name.

My Legacy-Name is "Gigaslash", because as a kid, "Terin Gigaslash" was the I came up with for my made-up Star Wars character. It may sound like a stupid name, but as an adult, it means something to me, as I've had it (and been teased about its stupidity) for years now. People know me as "Terin", and even on the SWTOR, as you can plainly see, I am known as Terin.

I'm sorry if I come across as snappy, but this is an issue that is very close to my heart, and being forced out of my name has hindered my entire experience with the game. The circumstances that lead to me losing the name were neither fair, nor reasonable (and I'm not entirely sure legal). All I want is to have the name that I reserved the game for, that I've used for years, ever since I was a child.

Please; make this right.
I completely agree with you.

This is my experience:

1) Servers got merged. I merged a little later than everyone else.
2) I was named "Thundersoul".
3) I had this one guild that really hated me because they were bad in PvP; I was taking charge unknowing they had something going, so instead of approaching me politely or working together they decided to flame me. No matter.
4) I got to the new server; my name was taken. I had to rename.
5) I asked support "***?".
6) Support said there's a newly created level 1 character named ThunderSoul.
7) It's possible someone from that guild purposely named their character that way so they can make me change my name.
8) 1.5 years later: that names seems to have been released since I was just very recently able to get my name back through the free name change feature (works only once) that SWTOR has on the "My Account" website.

I'm sure you can get your name back! Try using that feature!

ivanhedgehog
11.18.2013 , 12:54 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Darksilence View Post
Spoken like 1 of the many douchenozzles, that got to stay on their original server so never lost their names, or one of the many cornhole munchers that did not PRE-ORDER the game and had their name since early launch but happily has it now after 2 server jumps. Everyone effected knows Bioware held the merger like amateurs. My favorite part is morons like like the quoter above are way so many people quit this game thus going Crap2Play as it is now. and will not be miss when yet another Star Wars game dies because of the likes him.
P.s. you can flame me all you want I don't give a crap, anyone that thinks Bioware did the merger right is a moron.
nobody is on their original server. even if the current server uses the same name, it is NOT the original server. what did they do wrong? they didnt ask you for permission? are you that self absorbed? I am a CE owner also. does my CE trump yours or is your CE special in some way?

Matt_Thompson
11.18.2013 , 01:32 AM | #38
I felt sorry for you about losing your name ... until you started to whinge about how you were entitled to it. you know what ... SUCK IT UP

you lost your name so what ... when Dalborra merged with Harbinger do you know how many of us lost our names? we moved past it. If you want that name back then use alt codes, or put an apostrophe between T and the E ... either that or cancel your subscription, get a real life and go back to WOW.

Kung_Fu_Kai
11.18.2013 , 01:41 AM | #39
It's just a name dude, a name for a fictional character inside of a fictional world.

A video game name, something that is disposable.

If someone stole your identity in real life, as in your real name, sure I'd be as pissed off as you are right now.

But you're getting angry over something as little, as significant in your life as a video game username.

Get over it or get lost.

Your choice.
The Starwalker Legacy
Kai'zane (Sorcerer) - Kai'ton (Juggernaunt) - Kai'bon (Operative) - Kai'hun (Powertech)
Kai'vorn (Commando) - Kai'redion (Gunslinger) - Kai'solus (Sentinel) - Kai'zenu (Shadow)

PaladinSoul
11.18.2013 , 10:14 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by MajikMyst View Post
You are no more entitled to a name than anyone else..
Yes, you're right, I completely agree with you, and that's why he should get his name back right away. BioWare does not have this entitlement you speak of to take his name away and give it to someone else.

Dumb*ss.