Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help with some of the jargon

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Help with some of the jargon

JeepWithGuy
11.16.2013 , 11:24 AM | #11
Mezzes are abilities that make you lose control of your character. For example, when an assassin mezzes you in a warzone. You can't move or do anything until it wears off (unless you use your CC breaker).
Constant Warfare: MMO helpsite. You just have to ask.
Pylan Traitine of <Damage Overcharge>

AlrikFassbauer
11.16.2013 , 11:27 AM | #12
What was once "DD" = "damage dealer" has now become "DPS" in common forum discussions, I have no idea, why.

Besides, does anyone know where the word "mezz" originally comes from ? I haven't the slightest clue ...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

JediCounsular
11.16.2013 , 02:34 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
What was once "DD" = "damage dealer" has now become "DPS" in common forum discussions, I have no idea, why.

Besides, does anyone know where the word "mezz" originally comes from ? I haven't the slightest clue ...
So many acronyms...so little time to teach you, my young grasshoppers...

" MEZZ" is short for mesmerize. It is a C.C. ( crowd control ) ability. In SWTOR, jedi shadows use "mezz" to incapacitate an NPC ( Non Playable Character) or a PC ( Playable Character) for 60 seconds, rendering them useless to fight you, unless they use a C.C. breaker or someone uses an AOE (Area Of Effect) around them that breaks the C.C. and lets them loose. For some more understanding or more terms, you can go HERE .

Hope that helps. May the Force Be With You !!!
THE COVENANT OF TYTHON ~ THE SOVEREIGN ELITE
The Ebon Hawk server, our roleplay home since March.22, 2011.

xxxquarkxxx
11.16.2013 , 02:40 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kensel View Post
The link below has a pretty good list of common acronyms for mmos. The site is an eso fansite, but the acronyms fit for the most part.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/glos...-and-acronyms/
Thank you so much! I had forgotten 'nerf', which I had seen many times but never understood.

Thanks again.

Rygho
11.16.2013 , 03:01 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by EranofArcadia View Post
While we are at it, what exactly are "mezzes" and "procs"?
Proc is short for procedural effect. In typical parlance it refers to actions, buffs/debuffs, and other combat effects that have a chance to occur or require an ability or sequence of actions to occur. Some abilities only become available once the prerequisite buff has "proc'd" (occurred). Some procedural effects eliminate or shorten cooldowns, some increase damage or healing on specific abilities. Many of the relics you can equip are "proc" relics that have a chance to fire off a buff when the requirements are met.

Zunayson
11.16.2013 , 03:04 PM | #16
It is important to know that technically speaking, mezzes break on damage (like blinds and sleeps), while "stuns" do not break on damage. Some definitions call them CCs (Crowd Controls), some definitions only call mezzes CCs.

Snares or slows refer to effects under which a player or mob's movement speed is reduced. A root is a x0 multiplier (immobilization).

Proc, short for "procedure" from what i've been told a long time ago, refers to a probabilistic action; so tracer missile has a chance to finish the cooldown on unload and make the next unload free. Technically, Tracer Missile's 100% chance to give Tracer Lock is a proc.

A buff, aka "positive effect" is a small icon by default on the left side of your character pane above your portrait. 99% of these can be removed manually by right-clicking them. On the other hand, a debuff, aka "negative effect" is a small icon be default on the right side of the portrait. These can never be removed manually.

A clense, according to official SWTOR vocabulary is defined by SWTOR to be an ability that removes a specific number of negative effects from the target. Some examples of clenses is Tox Screen by the operative or Purge (will be renamed Expunge), the sorcerer's clense. On the other hand, a purge, according to official SWTOR vocabulary is defined by SWTOR to be an ability that removes all "removable negative effects." The only two in the game are Evasion and Force Shroud.
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao
Next time you hear about someone getting raped ask them if it was like PvP in an MMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

JacksonMo
11.16.2013 , 07:34 PM | #17

efylinx
11.17.2013 , 11:25 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post

Everquest 1, the crowd control class was the Enchanter whose main control spell was called "Mesmerize", which naturally evolved into "mezz that target!!" :-)

DisturbedMalak
11.17.2013 , 11:31 PM | #19
mezzes are things like the agents "flashbang" and other classes have similiar abilities that do such things, basically a prolonged stun that lasts for more than 4 seconds. Can also be used in combat or not in combat, whereas the 4 second stun only hits one target. Its basic function is crowd control.

Also the mmo terms link above is best for you to go to.

Fidelicatessen
11.18.2013 , 01:21 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DisturbedMalak View Post
mezzes are things like the agents "flashbang" and other classes have similiar abilities that do such things, basically a prolonged stun that lasts for more than 4 seconds. Can also be used in combat or not in combat, whereas the 4 second stun only hits one target. Its basic function is crowd control.

Also the mmo terms link above is best for you to go to.
Again, it's important to remember that, in general, when someone refers to a MEZZ, they are referring to a 60-second lockdown that is broken by any damage; and when they refer to a STUN they are referring to a shorter-duration lockdown that is NOT broken by damage.

These are good questions and important things to know (so you don't inadvertently break somebody's mez)!