Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just how "Massive" is SWTOR really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Just how "Massive" is SWTOR really?

jeffersson
10.26.2013 , 05:16 AM | #1
Dear Sirs!

I understand that you label SWTOR as an MMORPG. For those new to the label; it stands for "Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game".

The first and the last point is tightly connected because if you just make a MOG, a Multiplayer Online Game, then bundling up say 40-50 people together is well enough for most games.
When it comes to Roleplaying though, it tends to gather more.

I've been on marvellous RPG events for two weeks now, with the Eclipse, Light of Alderaan, The Lost Praxeum and I belive there were some more RP-guilds along that I fail to remember the names of, during a well plan and expertly executed storyline called "Shadow of Glory". It was really great.

Only problem was that you could never be sure to "get in" on any night unless you were among the first to get there. As soon at the event came close to start the instance of the planet used (Corellia) was full.
A few extra people could be "squeezed" in by including them in an ops group but after that no one else could enter.

Last night we had major problem getting the last attendants in and the playercount for Corellia stated: 42.
I take it that the number 42 only refered to the number of republic players and I do belive that the number of imperials was greater.
Maybe it was a whole 100 together?

100?
That's not really "massive" is it?
Or how do you at Bioware belive that "Massive MORPG" should be defined?

I'd like to know.

CarpeSangrea
10.26.2013 , 05:18 AM | #2
It's worth noting that number only shows those in the same shard as you. When you open your map, see if there's a number next to the location in the lower right corner.

Ayelinna
10.26.2013 , 05:19 AM | #3
The size of SWTOR is

Subs at launch - 80% of subs - subs who got bored of the game + free to play + cartel market

Tsillah
10.26.2013 , 05:35 AM | #4
The number you see is the instance of the republic that you are in. There could be multiple instances.

What you see on Correllia is just for Correllia and for that particular instance of your faction. There are people playing on all planets at the same time often in multiple instances per faction. Correllia is also not a real favourite as far as I know, so people like myself just do the main story quests and get out of there asap.

But if you add all instances of your faction of all planets, including the fleet instances and the flash points and operations and warzones together, you end up with thousands of players easily just on one faction.

People just tend to be spread out over different areas and different activities and some planets are just less popular.
Because we do think in language. And so the quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

darkov
10.26.2013 , 06:14 AM | #5
This massive:

[---------------------------------------]

Roughly

jorill
10.26.2013 , 06:33 AM | #6
correlia is probably the worst planet/zone to use to say this game has a low population. Its the least popular planet and have known people to skip it entirely or just finish the class story and then leave. I for one also think its the worst planet in the game

LordExozone
10.26.2013 , 07:01 AM | #7
You can thank the crappy early version of the engine that can't handle many characters. So they put very restrictive caps on zones to ensure performance is okey. It's almost insulting to see that Elder Scrolls Online manages to handle 200 players on screen in a fight (and there can be multiple of such fights in a single zone at the same time) atm in beta.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

PlacidDragon
10.26.2013 , 07:07 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by jeffersson View Post
Last night we had major problem getting the last attendants in and the playercount for Corellia stated: 42.
Well of course it did, we all know that 42 is the answer to everything
CE & DDE

Nemmar
10.26.2013 , 07:12 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
The size of SWTOR is

Subs at launch - 80% of subs - subs who got bored of the game + free to play + cartel market
So, where exactly did you pull the 80% number from.

I kind of know, but i want to see you try to get out of that one.

WestXv
10.26.2013 , 07:17 AM | #10
I think it was more of 65%-75% and that group would also include the ones who got bored.
Once upon a time in a galaxy far far away....