Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part I

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Galactic Starfighter Development, Introduction: Part I
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
10.18.2013 , 02:34 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Happy Friday!

Lead Designer Michael Backus has written the first of many Developer Diaries centered around Galactic Starfighter! We start with some of the history behind the development of the upcoming Digital Expansion here.
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Iwipe
10.18.2013 , 02:51 PM | #2
Thanks for the background, great read! Where did the SSSp term came from? Was it from the guild summit back in April 2012 or from something pre-launch?

Still holding out for capital ship though!

ZETA_SCORPII
10.18.2013 , 03:01 PM | #3
Counting down the days.......

Thoop
10.18.2013 , 03:03 PM | #4
any guess as to when this might show up on test?

also any news on controller support?
Quote: Originally Posted by JeramieCrowe View Post
I've been waiting for you, Thoop. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the poster; now *I* am the troll!

CourtneyWoods
10.18.2013 , 03:03 PM | #5 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Iwipe View Post
Thanks for the background, great read! Where did the SSSp term came from? Was it from the guild summit back in April 2012 or from something pre-launch?

Still holding out for capital ship though!
I believe it was from the Guild Summit! That's my first memory of the term anyways.
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

JacenHallis
10.18.2013 , 03:16 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Michael Backus
Greetings Starfighters,
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Kodan Armada.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

iiNoSkillzii
10.18.2013 , 03:17 PM | #7
Joysticks?! You can map them to the ground game already so I assume they will be in GS but will there be any special attention paid to them?

Also: discussion question: Are joysticks an unfair advantage?
_______The Harbinger_______
Vonbroom [55 Op-Heal] | Dang'ck [55 BH-Tank]
Squadron 11-11-11 *Never Forget*
_______Pre-Ordered 12/02/11_______

Costello
10.18.2013 , 03:17 PM | #8
You have been listening and what you got from that was to ignore all the current Space combat and add free flight for pvp players only? Not to add any story is that not what was to bring players to SWTOR?

All the things you decided against introducing such as capital ships and smuggling and bounties and instead you focus on only adding something for the space flight PvP crowd? Was that what was being asked for on the forums was that really what people were demanding for the SSSP. I thought that what people were hoping for was a JTL experience.

As expansions go JTL brought story, new progression, customisation of ship parts and interiors, 2 new species and new crafting. Galactic Starfighter expansion brings a PvP Space mini game and some paint jobs. Is PvP that big a focus for the dev team cause open world faction PvP seems to have been all but forgotten with the only moves to PvP is to make it a mini game fight club? Was Space PvP what the PvP players most wanted?

I find it hard to see how Space PvP mini game was what players wanted or where hoping for in the SSSP. I don't know where this view was arrived at from the Dev team 2 years ago when this was first started.

iiNoSkillzii
10.18.2013 , 03:19 PM | #9
SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy.
_______The Harbinger_______
Vonbroom [55 Op-Heal] | Dang'ck [55 BH-Tank]
Squadron 11-11-11 *Never Forget*
_______Pre-Ordered 12/02/11_______

Soul_of_Flames
10.18.2013 , 03:32 PM | #10
Would be awesome if they make specific keybinding options just for starfighter combat. Cause then joysticks could easily be implemented into the game without screwing up other controls.