Darth Nyriss vs Darth Traya

LadyKulvax

I realize that, but how does it list their powers? Bios and the like for the characters are canon, but stats and so forth wouldn't be.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_Campaign_Guide

Is what you refer to yes?

Yes that is what I refer to.

What I mean was, the real canon characters don't appear in the stats section at all nor do they have stats, they have their own biographies in an entirely different section of the book.

What I mean was, the real canon characters don't appear in the stats section at all nor do they have stats, they have their own biographies in an entirely different section of the book.

So then their powers are listed within their bios? Apologies, I just find it rather irking that characters are stated to have powers from games when they never used them outside of in-game and no cutscene. So the gripe I am having with this is Traya knowing Force Lighting, when she never displayed such outside of in-game mechanics.

So then their powers are listed within their bios? Apologies, I just find it rather irking that characters are stated to have powers from games when they never used them outside of in-game and no cutscene. So the gripe I am having with this is Traya knowing Force Lighting, when she never displayed such outside of in-game mechanics.

She may full well have known Force Lightning, so did Exar Kun, but he didn't use it one single time, he always favoured Force Blast, Traya probably had her own pet favourite combat techniques and decided to forego Force Lightning, especially considering the possible dangers when such an ability is successfully defended against and even redirected at times.

She may full well have known Force Lightning, so did Exar Kun, but he didn't use it one single time, he always favoured Force Blast, Traya probably had her own pet favourite combat techniques and decided to forego Force Lightning, especially considering the possible dangers when such an ability is successfully defended against and even redirected at times.

But see this is where speculation comes in...though where does it say Kun knows it? But alright fine....though I still prefer actual evidence rather then it just be listed.

Darth Traya and the other real canon characters most certainly do have stats, her own are found on page 158- although unfortunately I see little reference to her powers in the bio on the same page, merely a brief recounting of her history up to her demise at the hands of the exile. Are you looking elsewhere? It has been a long time since I've read these books (until today), and I may be missing something; although pretty sure the listed page is the only page dedicated to Darth Traya, it could be that info on her is scattered throughout the other sections.

Fun system Saga, unfortunately scarcely played and the one good PbP site I knew died.

Edited by MyDarkSunshine

Darth Traya and the other real canon characters most certainly do have stats, her own are found on page 158- although unfortunately I see little reference to her powers in the bio on the same page, merely a brief recounting of her history up to her demise at the hands of the exile. Are you looking elsewhere? It has been a long time since I've read these books (until today), and I may be missing something; although pretty sure the listed page is the only page dedicated to Darth Traya, it could be that info on her is scattered throughout the other sections.

Fun system Saga, unfortunately scarcely played and the one good PbP site I knew died.

There are three versions of the same campaign guide, there was the smaller version which was the most common, there was the collector's limited edition hardback with 70 extra pages(I have both of these two) and there was the re-released version in a bundle pack, which unfortunately I've never seen or read to see the difference.

And yes I am highly disappointed that the game, at least the KotOR version, died out so fast, was a brilliant game in of itself.

I still own and play Kotor 2. I choose Kraia/Darth Traya as Darth Nyriss is simply no match. Not once has it ever been mentioned that her power/skill was gained/increased via some forgotten Sith rituals. Which begs the question that if she had resorted to such things it would only have made her that much more greater than Darth Nyriss when she already was.

Powers and abilities

"I use it as I would use a poison, and in the hopes of understanding it, I will learn the way to kill it. But perhaps these are the excuses of an old woman who has grown to rely on a thing she despises."

―Darth Traya on the Force.

A Jedi Consular and Sith Lord,[3] of prodigious skill and power Kreia used a wide variety of Force abilities, including Force horror, Force speed, Force Crush, Force cloak, energy resistance, Force scream, Force lightning, Force Choke and the mind trick.[2] She also was capable of using the Force to control beasts, a power that she would teach Meetra Surik during her travels on Dxun. She was known to have used an advanced Force technique known as Force Channel.[3] Traya was also a master of Dark Healing,[2] which she used to kill dozens of Sith Assassins instantaneously and simultaneously on Malachor V. She obliterated the last three members of the reconvened Jedi Council, by showing them the Force "through the eyes of the Exile", consuming their connection to the Force in a way similar to that of Darth Nihilus, denying them the means to become one with the Force. Surik would later behold them as "worse than lifeless, like an absence in the Force".

Kreia also possessed the rare ability to perceive shatterpoints which she described as "fractures".[15] Traya was also incredibly skilled at predicting the future and was able to foresee[3] the death of Mandalorian bounty hunter Jango Fett at the hands of Jedi Master Mace Windu approximately 4,000 years later, in a prophecy relating to the fate of the Mandalorians.[13] She was also skilled in telepathy, being able to communicate with others over immensely large distances. She demonstrated this when she telepathically spoke to Meetra Surik on Korriban even though she was in the Ebon Hawk. She telepathically informed Atris of Brianna's betrayal despite the her being several light years away from Telos, while she was on the Ebon Hawk.

Traya knew the ability of breath control, which made her immune to most poisons. She taught it to the Exile when she was in danger of dying from the toxic fumes of the Jekk'Jekk Tarr cantina during a meeting with local Exchange boss Visquis on Nar Shaddaa. Traya would also use her healing powers to revive the Wookiee Hanharr, after he was left for dead by Mira. On Onderon she revived Colonel Tobin after he was killed by a drexl larva. Traya was rather proficient at using the Force to hide her presence from whomever she chose. Her skill with this ability was demonstrated on the Ebon Hawk as she whispered to Mical, making him believe he was hearing things. Traya also used a variation of this ability that enabled her to be seen but remain entirely unnoticed, to cloud the memory of others so they would forget her presence or even her existence. When Surik asked Traya why none of the Jedi Masters they encountered mentioned her, she lied to Surik, claiming that they perhaps did not remember or care. She described her ability as making herself "very small", a talent she claimed not to use on Surik, and that was even more effective on the worlds where they traveled, where sensing Force-users was difficult. On Dantooine, Jedi Master Vrook Lamar told Surik about the Sith threat, and told her of their ability to mask their presence, but he did not believe that mere Force-cloaking techniques alone would be sufficient to hide the one responsible for what had befallen the Jedi. Eventually, Surik would learn more about this; when Traya was revealed as one of the Lords of the Sith, Atris explained that much of the reason she succeeded in hiding her dark persona lay actually in the fact that the Force had been stripped from her.[3] She had extreme power over the workings of the mind and while she was a naturally talented manipulator, could use the Force to confuse others, or reach into their minds and find their darkest secrets.

Traya was skilled at telekinetic lightsaber combat, which allowed her to wield at least three lightsabers in combat, holding each of them aloft with the Force and having them fight with a will of their own. She was also skilled at physically wielding a lightsaber, using the combat forms Shii-Cho, Makashi, and Soresu.[3] She was also known to have used a rare lightsaber technique known as Tràkata.[2] When the Exile would ask Traya about each different form of lightsaber combat, the Dark Lord knew enough about each form to give Surik an accurate description. Traya had once been a Jedi historian, and on her way through the path of knowledge the Jedi Code became unfit for her idea of teaching and learning the ways of the Force. She came to realize that the Force defied the tenets of the Order, that one who was to truly understand would need the contrast, not adherence to a single idea. During this time she would search and gather relics of the Force.[2] On Korriban, Traya indulged Surik in a tour of the tombs and excavation sites in the Valley of the Dark Lords while showing her a profound knowledge of their history, a contempt for ignorance, and a care for truth that survived to her last days. In her journey with Surik, Traya spoke of healing during a lesson related to skills as something about which she was knowledgeable. When asked about her eyes, she claimed to be able to heal her own damaged eyes—which were atrophied from disuse—yet she refused to do so, as she had the ability to see through the Force, and regarded her natural sight as a distraction. She could use the Force enter a hibernation trance that would slow down her biological functions and make her appear dead. She used this ability on the Ebon Hawk when the Harbinger tractor beamed the freighter, and again when the Republic warship fired on it.[3]

But could we please get the most knowledgeable Traya fans, namely Beni and Sel in on this and make this an actual debate?
I have been summoned!

Anyway, I was actually expecting this to come up in the BattleZone as such have given it some thought. Which I shall share with you all now - on the assumption that Nyriss' confrontation with Surik was one of exceptional circumstance:

Now what we have is your cookie cutter Sith 'Sorcerer' vs a far more esoteric and varied master of the dark side. And as you might expect the more diverse of the combatants comes out on top.

Firstly we should consider Nyriss' personality, she is arrogant and when angered has her judgement clouded. These are traits that Traya can easily capitalise on by frustrating her opponent. More specifically by rendering herself invisible and allowing Nyriss to exhaust herself as she conjures Force storms and the like in an effort to snuff her opponent out. Though of course Traya possessing incredible precognitive abilities, reflexes and the ability to augment her speed is more than capable of evading such attacks. All the while Traya will be taunting Nyriss telepathically and probing her for weaknesses via shatterpoint, while Nyriss simply wastes her energies.

This tips the balance in Traya's favour who can attack and overwhelm Nyriss while she is distracted at the opportune moment at her most vulnerable pointt. If this doesn't bring her down, she'll crumble as Traya presses the assault.

And finally as a general point, it should be noted that Nyriss is not immune to Force drain and the Exile is and therefore at a severe disadvantage against an enemy who can siphon her own power and use it against her.

Edited by Beniboybling

Anyway, I was actually expecting this to come up in the Kaggath as such have given it some thought. Which I shall share with you all now - on the assumption that Nyriss' confrontation with Surik was one of exceptional circumstance:

Finally decided to use Traya's entire OP'ness? :p

Edited by Selenial

I think the obvious decider here is Force Drain. Given that Traya is likely more powerful than Nyriss, Force Drain will have a severe impact on Nyriss, who seems to favor her Force abilities.

And if Force Drain doesn't work, there's always telekinetic lightsaber combat, or the myriad of other abilities that Traya has up her sleeve.

Ya know I just thought of something, the whole TK lightsaber combat thing....does Traya even carry lightsabers on her? It seems to me that one instance with the 3 sabers, was more of a prep thing to fight the Exile. It's just rather odd cause Traya seems more like a sorcerer, so why would she bother with lightsabers anyway? It's not like that is her main strength.

If there isn't any prep, I say we just go with the versions of what the characters were and thus Traya didn't have the sabers as that was a one time thing only, because it seemed like she prepared the saber thing as that was her last resort type of thing. It doesn't seem like it is standard for her, and this makes sense seeing as she mostly relies on Force powers than anything else.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Ya know I just thought of something, the whole TK lightsaber combat thing....does Traya even carry lightsabers on her? It seems to me that one instance with the 3 sabers, was more of a prep thing to fight the Exile. It's just rather odd cause Traya seems more like a sorcerer, so why would she bother with lightsabers anyway? It's not like that is her main strength.

If there isn't any prep, I say we just go with the versions of what the characters were and thus Traya didn't have the sabers as that was a one time thing only, because it seemed like she prepared the saber thing as that was her last resort type of thing. It doesn't seem like it is standard for her, and this makes sense seeing as she mostly relies on Force powers than anything else.

If this this is the 'versions of what the characters were' then Traya has four sabers. Because she is depicted as such in her battle with the Exile. The only depiction we have of Traya in combat.

Its pure assumption to assume she didn't carry three lightsabers around with her always. We can't really make that call.

Of course remembering that the very purpose of the additional lightsabers was to aid a Force based attack.

If this this is the 'versions of what the characters were' then Traya has four sabers. Because she is depicted as such in her battle with the Exile. The only depiction we have of Traya in combat.

Its pure assumption to assume she didn't carry three lightsabers around with her always. We can't really make that call.

Of course remembering that the very purpose of the additional lightsabers was to aid a Force based attack.

She only did it once however....what I mean by versions is that we go with what they appeared for the majority of the time. You're right that it would be assuming, but it would also be assuming that she did carry them right?

It just seemed more like a prep thing to me really considering she went to Malachor way before the Exile arrived and all that with Sion and so forth, but w/e I guess.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

She only did it once however....what I mean by versions is that we go with what they appeared for the majority of the time. You're right that it would be assuming, but it would also be assuming that she did carry them right?

It just seemed more like a prep thing to me really considering she went to Malachor way before the Exile arrived and all that with Sion and so forth, but w/e I guess.

But the majority of the time is the sole time we see Darth Traya in combat, against the Exile, with four sabers. Better to assume based on evidence than on speculation.

And we also should remember that in a hypothetical scenario these individuals will have all their weapons at their disposal. They won't be caught off guard or anything of the sort.

But the majority of the time is the sole time we see Darth Traya in combat, against the Exile, with four sabers. Better to assume based on evidence than on speculation.

And we also should remember that in a hypothetical scenario these individuals will have all their weapons at their disposal. They won't be caught off guard or anything of the sort.

I guess.