Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Worst P2W I've seen.


Caelrie's Avatar


Caelrie
09.01.2013 , 04:34 PM | #81
You can't buy any gear with credits that equals the best stuff in the game, so knock it off.

GalenMourne's Avatar


GalenMourne
09.01.2013 , 05:57 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
There is no need to change your opinion. You have it and you have a right to it. Just remember that that standard applies to others as well, and I expect your argument has not met the requirements to sway opinions either.

If this thread is any indication you hold the minority opinion.
Yes he is entitled to his opinion. So are people who think the earth is flat, people who think Jesus is speaking to them, people who think heavy metal music comes from the devil, etc, etc .Doesn't mean they aren't delusional.
"You know spies, a bunch of *****y little girls!"

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
09.01.2013 , 05:59 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by GalenMourne View Post
people who think heavy metal music comes from the devil, etc, etc .
but... but... it does
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
09.01.2013 , 05:59 PM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by GalenMourne View Post
Yes he is entitled to his opinion. So are people who think the earth is flat, people who think Jesus is speaking to them, people who think heavy metal music comes from the devil, etc, etc .Doesn't mean they aren't delusional.
I don't disagree...but a rock has a right to be a rock, even if others think it should be a tin can.

If delusion was not a standard for belief systems both religion and politics would be in trouble.

Beaunidle's Avatar


Beaunidle
09.01.2013 , 06:15 PM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Buggs View Post
Yep exactly, however I'm thinking beyond this.

Anyway I realised I cba with the point as it'll be opposed by those with the credits and they would claim to have none anyway.
I have quite a large amount of credits, 20x + more than most of the players I know, all made from crafting, yet I've never bought a single Cartel Coin, it's clear than you have no idea what Pay To Win (P2W) means.

Pay To Win is where you spend RL cash and gain competitive gameplay advantages over other players who don't spend any or the same amount as you.
As it is with credits made from selling Cartel Purchased items you can't buy the best PvE gear or the best PvP gear, so you have no advantage over someone with a small credit balance.
While the developers of this game have veered close to P2W at times with some of the set gears for levelling, people level so fast it's irrelevant and certainly never been in danger at the end game where it can "matter".

The items from the Cartel Market are purely cosmetic (a promise which I didn't expect the Devs to stick to, but they have) they make no material difference to the gameplay of subscribers at all. True F2P players can obtain various items via authorisations from the Cartel, but that doesn't give them any advantage over a subscriber.

Ayelinna's Avatar


Ayelinna
09.01.2013 , 06:35 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
However, truth to the majority of MMO players as to what P2W means =/= your truth.
Can I have a source on that please? How do you know its the majority?

Or is that in your own personal opinion?

Thanks have a nice day

Spatology's Avatar


Spatology
09.01.2013 , 06:54 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by GalenMourne View Post
Yes he is entitled to his opinion. So are people who think the earth is flat, people who think Jesus is speaking to them, people who think heavy metal music comes from the devil, etc, etc .Doesn't mean they aren't delusional.
At least I support mine with reasons I'm willing to share with others and defend.

It still stands that EA is trying to make profits the same way a Facebook game would while also charging a subscription for basic functionality.

And I'm the crazy one? Astounding.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
09.01.2013 , 07:30 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
Can I have a source on that please? How do you know its the majority?

Or is that in your own personal opinion?

Thanks have a nice day
I am of the opinion that it is all over the net. Major studios define it in press releases and studies, editorials define it, game review companies, Wikipedia, general chat on the subject on dozens of message boards...the common theme is that if you can purchase something that makes you better than someone else, and no method exists to acquire that item in game by other means that is considered P2W.

All other definitions, some more popular than others, tend to fall in under anything a person wishes to criticize. It is the new "anarchist" label for a game or feature that one does not care for.

The problem, naturally, is folks today do not take opinions for face value...so those splintered definitions do not take hold.

Just my slant.

Inflicktion's Avatar


Inflicktion
09.01.2013 , 07:45 PM | #89
For the reasons mentioned in the OP this is my favorite F2P model; you can buy everything from the CM with in-game credits. But P2W? Hardly. No more so than the reduced XP imo.

Show me one person that is topping NiM ops with gear obtained solely through the mentioned process and you might have an argument (still probably not though).

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
09.02.2013 , 02:59 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Buggs View Post
This one I will respond to as it's well-considered.

However 1 tier below the best still has a big drag on all the tiers below and the cartel items that can be bought for cash and sold for in-game currency (be that credits or gold-quality tradables like mass manips or others that hold their value well) therefore have a significant effect on the difficulty of the game.

Simply adding more difficulty settings doesn't help either as those without the "pay" resources others have don't have the chance to buy the gear needed for the higher levels meaning less cash denies some of the population content easily accessible to those with cash.

So it might not be the simplistic P2W mentioned above but it's certainly an extended version of it.
It's not that big an issue, really. By the time you reach level 55, you have all sorts of credits, and items, but the fun is in earning the highest tier, you grind for the various comms, this is the fun. You can buy off Cartel or GTN, but you miss the fun, and if you do this, well the only person you are cheating is yourself.

And yes I have level 55 character, a Sage, also have level 53 Marauder, level 51 Commando, and level 50 Operative. Building up my other characters, but the fun is in the playing, Cartel coins is mostly about cosmetics in my honest opinion, you go after a certain look, the crystals are a bit of a cheat, but don't really make a huge difference, and the rest is fluff, ocassionaly fun but still fluff.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.