Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

quinn (spoilers)

jedimasterjac
06.15.2013 , 06:54 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by oneRedScorpion View Post
Quinn should died on betrayal.. what Bioware did sucks.. no Sith let someone to betray them and live .. did the read any books or saw any movies about Star Wars before doing the game??? My Jugger is a pure blood so anytime I use Quinn or remember that moment it gets punished ....

Any warrior need a new healer period... kill Quinn and gain a new companion.
You could originally kill almost all companions in Beta. (Hell, if I remember right, some could kill themselves if you were so awful to them.) However, too many people complained, and they removed the option.

While I'm sure you all would love to kill Quinn, you have to remember the impact that would leave in the game, and then also the fact that while Sith are dark and evil, they must show some remorse, some mercy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Atticus Finch
“Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It's knowing you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”

Qaoz
06.16.2013 , 05:26 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
While I'm sure you all would love to kill Quinn, you have to remember the impact that would leave in the game, and then also the fact that while Sith are dark and evil, they must show some remorse, some mercy.
First of all, it would have little to no impact on the game - unless you liked Quinn, but then you probably wouldn't kill him in the first place. BioWare could just add a "replacement" character for dead companions. Say you had enough of Vette's cheeky remarks and decide to off her. You get a mission that rewards no XP or credits, that just so happens to put you together with a new ranged DPS companion (with Vette's crew skill bonuses).

They could make a replacement for each companion and make this companion the opposite in terms of alignment and personality. Say you decide to kill Jaesa, like Baras instructed, instead of making her join you. You get a mission that has you travel to the Sith Academy on Korriban where you oversee the training of a new apprentice. This apprentice would also be female, and you'd get to influence her to the Dark or Light Side during the training. There, nothing lost and everything gained for those of us who can't stand Jaesa's VA.

Same could be done for Quinn. You kill Quinn for betraying you and either get a replacement from Imperial Intelligence, or get a mission where you just so happen to stumble across a new healing companion. Preferably one a little less uptight and whiny.

The replacement companion would not be removable, for obvious reasons, but at least you'd have the choice of replacing some of your less desirable companions without it affecting your ability to play the game.

As for stupid people killing their companions without meaning to. That's just too bad. Don't go with the [Kill him/her] option if you don't want to kill him/her.

Really, I'm surprised something like this hasn't been implemented already.

Second, Sith do not show mercy. Ever. You can argue whether all Sith are evil and dark, but Sith do not show mercy. Mercy is a sign of weakness, even among Light Side Sith. That much the Revanite dude on Dromund Kaas taught me.
If only I'd hit spacebar more often...

Mercurial_Harpy
06.16.2013 , 10:54 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Qaoz View Post
As for stupid people killing their companions without meaning to. That's just too bad. Don't go with the [Kill him/her] option if you don't want to kill him/her. Really, I'm surprised something like this hasn't been implemented already.
Oh lordie lord, another Quinn thread.

This topic was pretty thoroughly covered in a thread called "Sith Warrior Story Fail: Malavai Quinn" when people after launch first started finishing the SW story.

Here is a synopsis, along with a few observations from the current state of the game.

1. Since Sith are gonna Sith, most players agree that the option to kill Quinn should have been left in due to the severity of his betrayal. However;
2. The SW would then be left without a healer. 90% of SWs I see running even on Makeb have Quinn out, so having a healer is very important when the SW is doing solo questing.
3. #2 wouldn't be such an issue if Bioware allowed you to re-purpose companions; i.e. Vette, as a Smuggler class, could logically be re-purposed to healing.
4. Unfortunately, Bioware doesn't allow #3, which is a shame since...
5. Most, if not all classes have at least one companion they'd like to blow out the airlock, if not abandon them on some god-forsaken rock and forget about them.
6. Also, killing Quinn means the Female SW loses their romance option, which is kind of sh*tty. However, why a fem warrior can flirt but not pursue a romance with Pierce is odd. That could have fixed the romance issue.
7. As someone already pointed out, you could kill Quinn in Beta. Too many SWs found it too hard to run without him. So the option was removed.
8. 1-6 is just further evidence that the game launch was really really rushed, and arcs were not properly thought out. The whole "companion" idea is awesome, but it wasn't executed very well. Personally, I think there are too many companions, which (as we see now) is hamstringing Bioware with future content. One DPS, one Heals, one Tank would have been sufficient. They have said they are working on fixing the fact that your companions, even spouses, go silent after max affection. This would be easier to fix with less of them. At this point, I'm hoping they at least add further romance dialogue, and maybe one other non-romance companion for each class.

I still have hope for this game; I'm silly like that.

To close, yeah as a Light Side or "more" rational Sith, there are plenty of reasons to justify keeping Quinn around, but honestly, one would expect a Sith Lord he betrayed to kill him, and most brutally at that. Mercy is for the Jedi. Game mechanics is really the only reason you can't. I mean, I leveled a SW as my 4th or 5th toon. I knew the betrayal was coming, and it still pissed me off in the moment. So how do I stand looking at him? I picked up a Quinn customization on Ilum with gray hair and cybernetic eyes; because that was the shape he was in after my judgment. And he was thankful for that.
~The Argost Legacy~

~Jedi Covenant~

swtonewbie
06.16.2013 , 03:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
You could originally kill almost all companions in Beta. (Hell, if I remember right, some could kill themselves if you were so awful to them.) However, too many people complained, and they removed the option.

They should still change the story imo.

Instead of Quinn flat out betraying you, he could still be loyal to you but it was somebody else that betrays Quinn. So in the eyes of the SW Quinn just screws up rather then betray him. Sith do also tend to kill people who screw up because you know...sith. But between betrayal and messing up, it is slightly more believable that a SW would still be ok with Quinn after he messed up and unintentionally led them into a trap because he was the one that got betrayed.

It could go something like this:

Complete Voss talk to ship holo get done talking with the emperors hand
Quinn speaks up mentions you need to get transponders to get to Corellia, Pierce says he's never heard of this
Quinn says he has a contact who he trusts that can supply him with the codes
You board the ship, get to the arena fight Quinns contact/friend
After the fight you kill his friend (Dark) or you let him live (Light)

The contact can be an old friend, old military buddy, old boss, old girlfriend who has risen in the ranks whatever. I know that the writers probably wanted you, the player, to experience this betrayal cause it has a larger impact. But the aftermath of how you deal with the betrayal is what sucks the most.

There was a line in Corellia where you, Quinn and Vowrawn are talking and Quinn mentions that he has 'past transgressions' that he has to make up for. Text like this can stay unchanged even if you modify the transponder ship portion to something like what i mentioned above. Quinn can still view the unintentional leading of both of you and him into a trap as his fault, and something that he has to make up for.
I'm not really a noob...

Loseriticus
07.20.2013 , 02:14 PM | #25
I just got to this point in the story with my light sided Warrior, and I wanted to run him through with my lightsaber. I don't want him on my ship at all. That is unforgivable. I wish there was an option to eject him out into space. I will strip him of all his gear. I refuse to use him. The ship's droid is a serviceable healer.

Quote: Originally Posted by MalthazarCeres View Post
i'm surprised he betrayed me, i really am.
when the voss told me somebody was going to betray me, i really tought that my robot would be the traitor >.>
never trusted that machine, too friendly...

Dominoris
07.22.2013 , 03:02 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Connorsan View Post
Question: Why do we even have that droid, besides healing, what else can you use him for?
Crafting. With the right parts it is the only companion with +cybertech crit in the game.
It is also a healer so it can keep Quinn alive while you torture him for months on end.
Clones are people two.

Artanisia
07.22.2013 , 07:47 PM | #27
We have the ship droid and Treek to replace Quinn. I think it is about time to let us kill the bastard again.
Welcome to the Dark Side. The cookies were a lie.
SGRA Thread FAQ SGRA Clarifications Thread

Zarakynal
07.24.2013 , 08:10 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Loseriticus View Post
I just got to this point in the story with my light sided Warrior, and I wanted to run him through with my lightsaber. I don't want him on my ship at all. That is unforgivable. I wish there was an option to eject him out into space. I will strip him of all his gear. I refuse to use him. The ship's droid is a serviceable healer.
That is Exactly what I did. I ran the last few worlds alone or death-grinding with jaesa rather then use the creature who had just attempted to see me dead.

That said I suggest a slightly different approach, instead of just slapping a new skin on him as others have suggested. Why not give us an option to have him sent off for punishment and re-education? Have him come back to us a heavily cyborged healbot with 80% of his personality wiped. His talents are useful and should not be wasted while the corruption of his betrayal can still be cut out

bright_ephemera
07.24.2013 , 08:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Zarakynal View Post
That said I suggest a slightly different approach, instead of just slapping a new skin on him as others have suggested. Why not give us an option to have him sent off for punishment and re-education? Have him come back to us a heavily cyborged healbot with 80% of his personality wiped. His talents are useful and should not be wasted while the corruption of his betrayal can still be cut out
There's a cyborg Quinn with covered (or missing) eyes as a customization, if you want to headcanon in some severe retraining. But his conversations will remain unchanged.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.