Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Unofficial Player Created Content

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Unofficial Player Created Content

Hessen
07.06.2013 , 09:51 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Suromir View Post
ooookay. then what is your point? those interested in this already do it....and it's not something that would catch on outside of RP players....

I assumed you meant a mission creator type thing..because...sorry but..this already exists and is kind of a "no duh" thing to bring up that people can do.

honestly I just don't see your point when people who would be interested in this likely already do it..and there is so small an audience for it anyway
But that's the funny thing. There's no reason why people shouldn't want to do it other than laziness and a desire to have content spoonfed to them rather than creating their own fun.

People complain about a lack of content or a lack of sandbox elements a lot (and have done since Beta), yet the possibility is there to create content. It's just not hard coded in to the game with a pop up dialogue box at the end.

It's also a pretty good life skill, setting your own targets and goals to achieve, and then enjoying working towards them and feeling a sense of satisfaction when done.

Hessen
07.07.2013 , 04:33 AM | #22
As per the lego example

OddballEasyEight
07.07.2013 , 05:14 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
Back in the good olds days of paper D&D people were given a basic template and set of rules and used their imagination to create content within that structure.

I don't see why as a community this can't be done within SWTOR without needing an official "mission creator" like has existed in other MMOs.

It's a bit like having to jump and fight your way through hoops to get a reward, and imposing your own limits on what you have to do to get it. Ignore what content Bioware is or isn't releasing, ignore what you agree or don't agree with is on CM and ignore what other players are doing. The power is in your hands to make the game fun and challenging without expecting a skeleton development team to cater to your exact whims.

For example, say you want to unlock having a GTN kiosk on your ship. You could set your own mission objectives that you have to complete to be able to do it. And share that list of objectives with the rest of the community. Find a group of likeminded people and do it together. That way you are being sociable within a sociable environment, enjoying playing a Star Wars themed game, you've got a goal that you want to achieve, there's a carrot waiting for you and you work with other to achieve it and the content is new and tailored towards you.

An example of your own created quest chain could be:

1. Collect 100 of trash item x (from killing certain mobs)
2. Travel to every planet and /salute all of the cantina vendors
3. Kill a world boss with just your fists
4. Achieve legacy level 40 and Valor level 50
5. Complete a level 50 flashpoint killing every single mob

After you've done all these things, meet up at a certain NPC on the fleet and "claim" your reward by purchasing it.

The toolset is there to create our own fun.
If you had played in any of the games of PnP D&D me and my friends played you would not think this was a good idea.
99% of the time either the country we were playing in was destroyed or plunged into civil war, or the entire world was completely destroyed.
The other 1% of the time, the group was completely and utterly killed. Usually whilst still destroying the world/country.

This is not a good idea.
Basically because letting players contruct actual content (and by that i mean missions or storys, not just housing or cities) will inevitably lead to a horde of horribly constructed crap with maby one or two decent things in the middle of it all.
Just look at Neverwinter Nights (the original) where player created content was common. And usually complete and utter crap.

Hessen
07.07.2013 , 05:43 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by OddballEasyEight View Post
If you had played in any of the games of PnP D&D me and my friends played you would not think this was a good idea.
99% of the time either the country we were playing in was destroyed or plunged into civil war, or the entire world was completely destroyed.
The other 1% of the time, the group was completely and utterly killed. Usually whilst still destroying the world/country.

This is not a good idea.
Basically because letting players contruct actual content (and by that i mean missions or storys, not just housing or cities) will inevitably lead to a horde of horribly constructed crap with maby one or two decent things in the middle of it all.
Just look at Neverwinter Nights (the original) where player created content was common. And usually complete and utter crap.
I'm not talking about creating tangible content.