Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Vote to kick in PVP is not fit for purpose

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Vote to kick in PVP is not fit for purpose

CrazyMcGee
07.07.2013 , 02:51 AM | #1
So, we were in a warzone match the other day and one of our team was deliberately choosing not to play. He stood at one of the objectives getting defensive points, but would not fight (even when the objective was being attacked).

We thought he was AFK, but then another player had already been in other matches with him that day and said he kept doing it. So, we all tried to vote to kick him.

We then got the message "[PLAYER NAME] has initiated combat, all votes to kick have been cancelled." He then mocked everyone in ops chat for giving him "free xp". He was NOT afk, he was NOT lagging, he was just sat there, refusing to play while gaining medals and xp, while we lost the match because we were then a player down. I was in later matches with him too and he did the same thing, so we had to alter our strat to compensate - for example, we needed 2 to guard a node because we knew he wouldn't defend it.

I don't understand why Vote to Kick was cancelled because he engaged combat. That is not how vote to kick works in FPs, where you can get rid of players who are preventing you from completing the FP (e.g. deliberate trolling, aggroing everything, not geared enough, etc).

But apparently in PVP, everyone can behave however they like and the group cannot remove them for their behaviour. Why did BW set it up that way? If a player deliberately and maliciously wants to sabotage their own PVP team, we should be able to kick them.

And worse, of course, is that ignore does not prevent you being in the same PVP group. So we had absolutely no way to get rid of this player or avoid them. Our only choice was to lose every PVP match or just stop playing PVP.

Why is there no mechanism to address this behaviour? Obviously I was angry at the player (and alas, the forum rules prevent me from telling you who it was), but I am also disappointed that the game doesn't allow us to do anything about it.

This wasn't a personal vendetta, I had never seen that player before, and obviously we needed everyone to vote. But why does Vote to Kick only allow you to kick AFK players? I don't understand the logic. I just wanted to be able to PVP and this guy ruined it for me and everyone else, with us powerless to do anything about it.

TheNahash
07.07.2013 , 02:59 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyMcGee View Post
I don't understand why Vote to Kick was cancelled because he engaged combat. That is not how vote to kick works in FPs, where you can get rid of players who are preventing you from completing the FP (e.g. deliberate trolling, aggroing everything, not geared enough, etc).

But apparently in PVP, everyone can behave however they like and the group cannot remove them for their behaviour. Why did BW set it up that way? If a player deliberately and maliciously wants to sabotage their own PVP team, we should be able to kick them.
Vote to kick for PVP was never supposed to be the same as PVE.
It would be much easier to abuse in PVP (people could just votekick anyone they didn't think has the right gear, is not as "pro" as they are, doesn't have the class they think they need to win the match or just simply vote kick hoping they'd get a 5th member of their guild, in the match etc.).
Vote kick for PVP was added so that people who are indeed AFK get kicked out so that the rest of the team won't have to "suffer" because of that.

Obviously, there are still ways that it can be improved, although no matter what BW does, people will just always find new and creative ways to be a***holes. That's what people do.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

Neoforcer
07.07.2013 , 03:01 AM | #3
vote kick in WZ is to stop player from afking all be it he was not playing objectively or fighting he was at his pc and could start to fight to stop vote kick. Is this fair for you no but the devs do not want people kick from warzone if there not afk. so vote kick is just for afkers.

And there is a mechanic to address this behavior it called the report feature because he was bragging that he was allowing you all to do his xp work . Then you can report him with a in game ticket and see what the devs will do with this behavior. If it was me as a dev i would find out how many warzone he been doing this in a remove his XP. Lets see him do that after they do that

Alec_Fortescue
07.07.2013 , 04:03 AM | #4
vote kick in pvp doesn't work at all.
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...=788459&page=2 - Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

Elear
07.07.2013 , 05:36 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Neoforcer View Post
And there is a mechanic to address this behavior it called the report feature because he was bragging that he was allowing you all to do his xp work .
Exactly this. You see someone intentionaly giving up matches, it's griefing, just report him. Bonus points if he actually admits to doing so in chat. Not sure what is 'proper' procedure for this, but in cases with confession I first report him from chat(usually only option is for spam) because it also sends them chat logs, then when reporting player give also number of that ticket.

"Real" votekick can't work in pvp, because it has too much potential for abuse. Someone did not call inc, kick him. Someone shouts too much, kick him. Someone plays wrong class, kick him. We're leading but they are gaining on us, kick people and let warzone shutdown early while we're still in the lead. Nope, too many restrictions needed, and that would just make this not much more usefull than existing one.