Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EverSteam
06.28.2013 , 07:11 AM | #3401
A belated welcome, Lady-Jean
Everyone else, I sincerely enjoyed all the pieces in the past week.

Prompt: NotLP - Mea Culpa, As Time Goes By, Canned Responce
Class: Smuggler (Audra)
Words: 1000ish
No spoilers. Let's say it takes place on Belsavis though and is after Audra has healed again.
Spoiler

Prompt: NotLP - Anniversaries
Words: 1000ish
No spoilers. Set on Voss shortly after landing.
Spoiler

And now, the actual prompt of the week! (I rushed a little so I could make it on time XD )
Prompt: Animal Kingdom
Words: Almost 5000 (longish I know)
No spoilers really. Set on Voss in the Nightmare lands.
I'll put a mild warning on this of just general adult themes eg. sexual references, violence and disturbing themes. Only mild though
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
06.28.2013 , 07:17 AM | #3402
So much to read! I'll have to catch up this evening...

Week of 6/28/2013
Gifts - Gifts serve a multitude of functions, from hospitality, diplomacy, housewarming, affection, celebration, to manipulation or poison. They can be big or small, expensive or free, expected or surprising, public or private. Write about a gift your character has given or received.

And, as ever,
Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...postcount=1675.
This week's featured NotLP:
Rites of Passage - There are tons of different rites of passage our characters go through. Some are common across cultures, like weddings. Some are specific to a culture, like coming-of-age ceremonies. And sometimes they are just an internal realization that your life has changed. Feel free to take this in any direction you would like.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Lady-Jean
06.28.2013 , 11:54 AM | #3403
@ sthrift: Thanks, glad you're enjoying them! Your little BH story had me grinning ear to ear. Always wondered about where that flamethrower pointed.
@ Stringes: Awwww, toothy! It was a very sweet story. Excellent writing.
@ EverSteam: Thanks for the welcome. I love your Smuggler, she's got just the right balance of strength and charm.

Madecka the Kid #9
Abt 1500 in 2 hours
SPOILERS: Jedi Knight Prologue

Gifts - Gifts serve a multitude of functions, from hospitality, diplomacy, housewarming, affection, celebration, to manipulation or poison. They can be big or small, expensive or free, expected or surprising, public or private. Write about a gift your character has given or received.

Lady-Jean
06.28.2013 , 02:21 PM | #3404
Maldecka the Kid #10
Abt 1000 words, 1 hour

Catching Up - Pretty much all of our characters have pasts that might catch up with them in the future. Sometimes that's not a good thing, like seeing an old enemy. Sometimes it's great, when an old friend comes to help you when you need it. Either way, it's bound to be interesting.

bright_ephemera
06.28.2013 , 05:14 PM | #3405
@Lady-Jean I love the piece with Master Sellani trying to get through to Maldecka. And...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady-Jean View Post
Orgus laughed, "I always wondered when a woman would come between us. I never figured she'd be seven."
So Orgus Din, and too funny.
And then, d'aww, the pictures were touching.
And what a stinger on the last one!

@Selentar, you get Lokin and Kaliyo so well. A rogue's gallery they may be, but they're professionals, too.

@sthrift, haha, poor Torian!
Corso as a hand-dish-washer? Yup. And individually towel-dried to be stacked away neatly after. And of course he's as careful of his women as he is of his dishes.

@Striges, I love Toothy's story. When I was much younger than I am now I adopted a large garden spider in an angle of the house; I adored it. I thought its laying an egg sac was the coolest thing ever, but was then heartbroken when it turned out that that was the last stage of its natural life cycle. How much harder it must be for a critter you've had a year or more to get attached to.

Quote: Originally Posted by EverSteam View Post
'Art museums aren't free, you know,' she ends with a crafty wink.

'Actually, Captain, they are,' Corso corrects with a tight and prudent frown
Dammit, Corso...only where you're from.
It must be a singular torture to be shacking up in a ship with that much...history. Especially when the other person won't let you forget it.
The Voss piece was intense.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

bright_ephemera
06.28.2013 , 07:42 PM | #3406
A spoiler-free Gift with Ananz of the Mellekor!verse. 280 words.

Spoiler

Then Alternate Perspectives, more or less; instead of doing the same scene from two POVs it’s two different meetings from two POVs, each illustrative of its participants' careers. Spoiler free. 500 and 400 words for Ananz and Mellekor.

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Magdalane
06.28.2013 , 10:32 PM | #3407
Prompt: Gifts
Title: Give a Cathar
Maura and Aric, no spoilers

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Lady-Jean
06.29.2013 , 10:55 AM | #3408
@ bright_ephemera: Ananz concern was really interestingly done. I like the idea of not being sure if it's a 'don't touch' or 'come and get me'. Glad you're enjoying the Maldecka stories so far too!
@ Magdalane: Yay, birthdays

Maldecka the Kid #11
abt 500 words, in half and hour

Dreams and Nightmares - Sometimes these are literal - a horrible nightmare or a pleasant dream that you don't want to wake up from. Sometimes it's a metaphor - your desires for the future or your greatest fear. Either way, they're a part of everyone's lives. Thank you Striges for this prompt!

YoshiRaphElan
06.29.2013 , 08:35 PM | #3409
Prompt - Gifts
Title - Forged in Fire
Class - Bounty Hunter

Spoiler

Spoiler

Striges
06.30.2013 , 12:15 AM | #3410
@Everstream: As much as Audra wanted to keep her story from Corso, it seemed she needed to tell it as much as he needed to hear. Voss brings that out in people.

@Lady-Jean: Still enjoying Maladecka. I liked how she both received and gave a gift in the first story, though sad to see Zarro’s backfire. I also liked seeing the continuing relationship with Kally later. (You’re welcome for the dream/nightmare prompt!)

@Bright: I always like Ananz stories. I loved Vette’s very practical take on the ring. Then the alternate perspectives for him and Mellekor. Both a different take on approaching a meeting, and a very different relationship with their respective partners.

@Magdalane: The best gift ever is a partner who knows just what you need. So lovely that Maura has that in Aric.

@YoshiRalphElan: So cute. A sweet follow up to the earlier piece ordering the armor. Only Mandalorians design armor for diaper changes.

Replies:
Quote: Originally Posted by Lady-Jean View Post
@ Striges: Awwww, toothy! It was a very sweet story. Excellent writing.
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
@Striges, I love Toothy's story. When I was much younger than I am now I adopted a large garden spider in an angle of the house; I adored it. I thought its laying an egg sac was the coolest thing ever, but was then heartbroken when it turned out that that was the last stage of its natural life cycle. How much harder it must be for a critter you've had a year or more to get attached to.
You have no idea how much trouble I’m in at home for being responsible for Toothy’s demise. My husband’s reaction was “You killed Toothy!” I wanted to end it with the egg sac, since a similar incident with a black moor goldfish inspired the story. But after getting to that point, the question remained “what happened with the eggs?” (The fish lived for another year) That said, I’m glad you liked it. I’ve had pets from nearly every major classification, and it’s never easy when one dies.