Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How about a New Engine?

Graveside
06.17.2013 , 04:07 AM | #1
Team BioWare, with all the new updates and future plans for this game, have you thought about implementing a new engine into the game? I have heard rumors (and that is what they are) that the current engine can't handle half of what it said it could on paper.

If half the team (however many that is - 3 - j/k, no serious 3 + the night-time custodial engineer) where working on transferring unto a new engine, then perhaps some of the ideas that everyone was told about back in the day (pre-release) might come from the big bang of BioWare's awesome insight.

I am not saying any of that would be easy and I know EA is the banker of this, but if you could convince them perhaps a new and better engine would breathe even more life into this project. Then again, imo you could continue to suck the life out of your players with the micro updates and cartel packs, until another year down the road. Then you will see other games released with better and more updated engines and software. I am not saying they will leave, but if the graphics are there, the game runs smoothly, Pvp is (well Pvp) just decent, and PvE has something to look forward too, then perhaps Star Wars might become just another past MMO, a social gathering for f2p and the few subscribers left.

Do not bash me, I want the game to succeed; however I also want guild star ships, a real space adventure in my ship, a reason to leave the outpost, and a real world full of open pvp battles.
"Face your Fear, Conquer your Hatred"
Graveside - Jedi

ManiacDavis
06.17.2013 , 04:12 AM | #2
Converting to a new engine = making a completely new game, complete waste of time ATM. Sorry to burst your bubble, but this will never happen.
Man-iac - The Only Commando Left Standing
http://www.twitch.tv/rrmaniac

JPryde
06.17.2013 , 04:12 AM | #3
I recently finished porting a 3D-application from one 3D-engine to another, which prooved to be a living nightmare. If asked by one of our project managers, I would at any time suggest to stay with the older engine unless porting to a new engine is a technical requirement.

There were just so many things that did happen, where we said in advance, that it couldn't be a problem... Glitches, Z-fighting, texture and shader issues... horrible.

And that was for a single-player application, that is small enough to run on I-Pads and Android-Tabs.

Switching engines on a running system is by no means a project, you can handle with the off-shift.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Knockerz
06.17.2013 , 04:13 AM | #4
A new engine will require years to develop. OP next time do a little more research before you post. You can't just transfer the current code to a new engine either. You might as well develop a new game. That is why new engines are developed for new games and not existing games. It's a waste of time and money to transfer an existing game unless financially viable.
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Less armour = moves faster = more dodging = less getting hit.
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Oh.. there is plenty of complaining in this thread. As well as demands, expressions of entitlement, and wild dreams.
Lovely Andryah the Forum Princess

theUndead
06.17.2013 , 04:21 AM | #5
This coming from the guy who posted "A true state of the game" in the new player forum discouraging people from playing. Anyway, as others have said new engine would mean a whole new game and the devs will not scrap the game and make it anew simply a waste of time.
Jiirn 55 Guardian, Xafom 55 Commando, Borris 55 Shadow
Acusor 55 Assasin, Turel 55 Juggernaut, Zerkes 55 Operative,
Axius 55 Sniper, Rehish 55 Mercenary, Moxes 55 Powertech,
Referral link For free stuff and coins
Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)

Rankyn
06.17.2013 , 04:41 AM | #6
Armchair developing at its finest.

chuuuuucky
06.17.2013 , 04:47 AM | #7
Changing the engine is not a solution and probably a nightmare. The only solution for the engine problem i see is if they really focuse on the enigne for a couple of weeks or months and do the unloved job of reworking everything that is weak implemented, but not worked on because they say it is simply to much work to do it.
Other games show that the way this engine performes something is wrong and they should fix it even it takes a lot of effored they are not willing to do at the moment.

Darth_Moonshadow
06.17.2013 , 04:48 AM | #8
So many AAA game developers on the internet. I wonder why you guys keep working at Walmart instead of with Microsoft or Nintendo.

Must love the Home & Garden section too much, I suppose.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

NogueiraA
06.17.2013 , 05:14 AM | #9
They choose Hero Engine because it is cheap, they don't like to spend money with a good engine.
Comparing with Tera loading times, memory leak, graphics quality, textures, FPS drop and FPS average... SWTOR is a piece of crap compared to Tera.

Dismayven
06.17.2013 , 06:00 AM | #10
lol will never happen