Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

All Star Wars games gone in 2 years?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
All Star Wars games gone in 2 years?

AhsokaTanorules
06.15.2013 , 05:17 AM | #1
Is my friend trolling or paranoid? He has been against Disney acquiring Star Wars and now he claims that in at least 2 years time, all current Star Wars games including this one will be stopped.

GeckoOBac
06.15.2013 , 05:38 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by AhsokaTanorules View Post
Is my friend trolling or paranoid? He has been against Disney acquiring Star Wars and now he claims that in at least 2 years time, all current Star Wars games including this one will be stopped.
Definitely paranoid, as a NEW Star wars game has been announced not a week ago.
Light Knights: Gecko - Syed - Vor'sann - Joya
Nightmare's Legion: Anhess - Avilus - Wittard - Schroedinger

VigDiath
06.15.2013 , 08:05 AM | #3
Battlefront 3 is being released within the next 6 months to a year.

Star Wars 1313 was shelved during the buy out but may be making an appearance soon.

And with the movies expected to come out in a few years, you better believe they will make money from games and merchandise from that as well.

I would say a set back, but not over yet.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

OddballEasyEight
06.15.2013 , 08:08 AM | #4
He said all CURRENT games... not the ones being released soon.

Although, to that comment id have to say its pure speculation on his part...
I could also say that the world will end in two years, but id be about as credible...

CaptRavenous
06.15.2013 , 03:12 PM | #5
Is my friend trolling or paranoid?
Yes to both.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Slicksteezin
06.15.2013 , 10:15 PM | #6
Will there be some sort of star wars game in 2 years? Yes.

Will SWTOR be around in 2 years? At this rate, not even close.
Gallasiso - Arsenal merc
Frimen - Sorc heals
Harbinger server

Here in SWTOR, everything seems to break. Except the Cartel Market.

Der_Donnervogel
06.16.2013 , 07:05 AM | #7
Has he some arguments that support his claim?

Disney bought the Star Wars franchise to make some money. So if games will contribute to the profit they will be supported by Disney. If SWTOR will exist in 2 years or not will not so much be dependent on Disney but on Bioware. If they can improve the game so enough players are willing to pay for it, it will survive or in the other case it will be shut down.

Starglitter
06.17.2013 , 01:24 PM | #8
Mmm...

At the end of the story, is all about profit, either you have it or you don't. The game as is, is good enough to make it, no arguments there, and as long as they periodically have releases that brings more material and expansions for added levels, I really can't see why the game would not continue.

On the other hand, MMORPGs are now quite competitive and lots of choices are now available and getting to be more as time goes by, so that could be a hard threat against SWTOR but on the other hand, this game has that strength Star Wars as a main motiff, just like LOTRO does for instance to keep a player base.

I frankly don't thik SWTOR is going poof any time soon...

Sue

therandyman
06.17.2013 , 03:08 PM | #9
No one needs friends like that.

psandak
06.17.2013 , 03:24 PM | #10
One or the other. Maybe both.

Disney does not mess with success. The reason Disney acquires companies is because they are profitable and want to gain by that profitability. The execs tend to take a hands off approach. So as long as the current Star Wars games remain profitable, I do not see Disney shutting them down. And it does not take much for an MMO to be profitable.