Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Rule of Two confusion in SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Rule of Two confusion in SWTOR

Euphrosyne's Avatar


Euphrosyne
05.24.2013 , 01:59 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post
Thanks for the info. The Rogue Jedi, that wasn't Set Harth or anyone else from the Bane trilogy was it? Was it that little incursion around 200 BBY I read about on Yoda's page?
Kibh Jeen said it after his forces were defeated in the Cularin system in the so-called "Dark Jedi Conflict" (188-181 BBY). From Jedi vs. Sith:
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryder Windham, "Jedi vs. Sith"
...After Qornah and [his Padawan] Kibh Jeen had landed their shuttle on Almas, they walked toward the half-buried [Sith] fortress [of Darth Rivan]. As Qornah probed the arae with the Force, he did not hear the whispers that pressed against his apprentice's mind. Kibh Jeen succumbed to these whispered temptations, cutting his Master down from behind. Then, stepping over Qornah's corpse, Kibh Jeen approached the walls of the fortress and disappeared.

Jeen rematerialized shortly before the arrival of the Jedi team who found Qornah's body. Evidently he had accessed the Sith fortress, and gained much knowledge. Taking the shuttle, he set off across space. There, the psychometrics account ends, but Kibh Jeen was just getting started.

Searching for minions who would make useful tools, Jeen found pirates in the Cularin asteroid belt who suited his purposes admirably. He dominated their minds and, through them, attracted others to his service. Soon he had built an army, and he unleashed his forces on the floating cities of Genarius, the third planet in the Cularin system. Thousands died. This assault launched the Dark Jedi Conflict.

For seven years, Kibh Jeen and his mindless soldiers dominated the Cularin system. Their warships stopped or attacked all incoming transports, then disappeared to their hiding places in the asteroid belt. No one could find them, let alone eliminate them.

Finally, a Jedi Knight and her Padawan came to Cularin. After they organized the system's inhabitants and trading companies to build an armada, the Jedi used the Force to locate the pirates and lure them into a trap. The pirate fleet was crushed, and Kibh Jeen did not escape. Before he died, he was heard spouting gibberish about there always being no more or less than two Sith.
It is part of a larger narrative about the nature of places that have been imbued with the dark side, part of a lecture given by Master Lanius Qel-Bertuk to his students shortly before the outbreak of the Clone Wars.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

sell-dog's Avatar


sell-dog
05.24.2013 , 03:41 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Kibh Jeen said it after his forces were defeated in the Cularin system in the so-called "Dark Jedi Conflict" (188-181 BBY). From Jedi vs. Sith:

It is part of a larger narrative about the nature of places that have been imbued with the dark side, part of a lecture given by Master Lanius Qel-Bertuk to his students shortly before the outbreak of the Clone Wars.
Thanks for the info!
"What's the difference between hot and cold doughnuts?"
"The difference is: cold ones I can eat 8, hot ones I can eat 48!"

jedimasterjac's Avatar


jedimasterjac
05.24.2013 , 03:46 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post
Thanks for the info. The Rogue Jedi, that wasn't Set Harth or anyone else from the Bane trilogy was it? Was it that little incursion around 200 BBY I read about on Yoda's page?
I believe it was Zannah's... brother? Or something similar. It was the one whose hand was cut off by Bane. He returned to the Jedi, but they cast it off as lies. At least, I believe so. I haven't read it in forever...
Quote: Originally Posted by Atticus Finch
“Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It's knowing you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”

sell-dog's Avatar


sell-dog
05.24.2013 , 04:13 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
I believe it was Zannah's... brother? Or something similar. It was the one whose hand was cut off by Bane. He returned to the Jedi, but they cast it off as lies. At least, I believe so. I haven't read it in forever...
Correct that also happened to an extinct. Zannah's cousin was about to tell the Jedi about the Sith but he stopped as soon as he realized Zannah was a Sith. Based on some clumsy errors by Zannah as she was rushing them out of the Archives the a few Jedi found and followed her to the few Jedi's end.

Zannah took herself, the cousin, and Bane to Ambria to be healed by Caleb in exchange for ratting themselves out to the Jedi via messenger droid. Some days later, 20 Jedi showed up and mistakenly thought the crazed cousin was the Sith Lord while Zannah masked herself and Bane (Caled is the one who is cut to pieces outside his hut).

Please see the post two before you on this thread to see the answer to the question you're asking
"What's the difference between hot and cold doughnuts?"
"The difference is: cold ones I can eat 8, hot ones I can eat 48!"

jedimasterjac's Avatar


jedimasterjac
05.24.2013 , 04:18 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post
Correct that also happened to an extinct. Zannah's cousin was about to tell the Jedi about the Sith but he stopped as soon as he realized Zannah was a Sith. Based on some clumsy errors by Zannah as she was rushing them out of the Archives the a few Jedi found and followed her to the few Jedi's end.

Zannah took herself, the cousin, and Bane to Ambria to be healed by Caleb in exchange for ratting themselves out to the Jedi via messenger droid. Some days later, 20 Jedi showed up and mistakenly thought the crazed cousin was the Sith Lord while Zannah masked herself and Bane (Caled is the one who is cut to pieces outside his hut).

Please see the post two before you on this thread to see the answer to the question you're asking
Thank you for clarifying. The post above me was not seen as I was typing my response. (Or at least I didn't see it.) Apolagies for giving an incorrect answer.
Quote: Originally Posted by Atticus Finch
“Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It's knowing you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.”

platinumruggo's Avatar


platinumruggo
05.27.2013 , 02:46 PM | #16
I read the Darth Bane trilogy of books by Drew a few months ago (GREAT read btw) and read his Revan novel as well, definitely a good read as well. The rule of two, as many have stated before did not exist in the swtor era. Revan had the idea of ROT in one of his holocrons, but Bane is the one that implemented it after he tricked Kaan into using the thought bomb to destroy himself, Hoth and the remaining sith survivors he had under his thumb on Ruusan. Tomcat (rain or Zannah) almost ratted out the sith, but luckily due to Zannah being smart and Bane being under the influence of the orbalisks that were currently feeding on him, they defeated johun (one of the main characters from the second book) and a team of master jedi's (and one jedi using battle meditation, yay for kotor references) on Tython of all places.

A mouthful indeed with a lot of grammatical errors, I apologize.
Quote: Originally Posted by Capt_Beers View Post
I guess without the effect and all the sabers flying around it could tough for him to tell which one was his. Wouldn't want to catch the wrong one. My friend lost a EWH saber that way. Caught someone else's Recruit saber and then the other quit and logged out.

Ramtar's Avatar


Ramtar
05.28.2013 , 05:10 PM | #17
there is a lot of Sith running around the galaxy during this time period.

Silverspar's Avatar


Silverspar
05.28.2013 , 09:49 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post
The Bane trilogy is a great trilogy to read. Among my favorite books.

Anyone else notice an inconsistantcy between the Rule of Two and in Ep. 1? At the end during Qui-Gon's death ceremony, Mace Windu tells Yoda that the mysterious warrior was a Sith Lord. Yoda then replies "Always two there are. No more. No Less". Then they ponder as to whether it was the master or apprentice that was destroyed.

Bane's revolutionary idea was kept secret from the Jedi and the Jedi thought the Sith were extinct. Up to this point, the only Sith the Jedi knew of were the large-scale legions of Sith as in this game. Inconsistency? Did Yoda suddenly come to this realization? Thoughts?
According to Lucas and LucasArts PR department, the movie and EU are separate entities from one another. While the EU generally tries to follow the spirit of the movies, in the end a lot of liberties generally get taken that contradicts beliefs or characters. So when you talk about EU, that is EU canon and officially, has nothing to do with the actual Star Wars movies.

Euphrosyne's Avatar


Euphrosyne
05.28.2013 , 10:19 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Silverspar View Post
According to Lucas and LucasArts PR department, the movie and EU are separate entities from one another. While the EU generally tries to follow the spirit of the movies, in the end a lot of liberties generally get taken that contradicts beliefs or characters. So when you talk about EU, that is EU canon and officially, has nothing to do with the actual Star Wars movies.
The situation is not that simple. There are various levels of canonicity, an official Keeper of the Holocron to make sure Star Wars lore all matches up, and a lot of efforts to maintain continuity. The EU obviously uses a lot of stuff from the movies, and the movies have also used a lot of stuff from the EU.

That particular "problem" was solved in a couple of different ways. Ryder Windham created a Dark Jedi War explanation, which was quoted at the top of the current page. And I think that in one of the subsequent books in the Bane trilogy, Karp added in his own potential explanation.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil

Darth_Moonshadow's Avatar


Darth_Moonshadow
05.29.2013 , 07:32 PM | #20
According to the Wookiepedia entry, Rule of Two, the rule wasn't created and enacted until after the New Sith Wars, which occurred between 2,000 BBY and 1,000 BBY. Since we are playing in 3,640 BBY, we're 1,640 years from the event that inspires the rule, though I am certain the exploits of The Wrath of the Emperor and Darth Nox were quite influential.

So, in short, there is no Rule of Two yet.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B