Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Yoda's race should have a name

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Yoda's race should have a name

Beniboybling
05.25.2013 , 04:27 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
I hereby decree that Yoda's species shall henceforth be known as "space frogs". "Space gremlins" is an acceptable alternative.

I have spoken.
Updating the Wookiee page now...

Aurbere
05.25.2013 , 04:41 PM | #22
I hereby decree that Yoda's species shall henceforth be known as "space frogs". "Space gremlins" is an acceptable alternative.

I have spoken.
Seems legit...
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

AlexDougherty
05.26.2013 , 03:38 AM | #23

I have spoken.
Not sure the Devil should have a say! but everybody else seems ok with it.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

NilethStar
05.26.2013 , 05:33 AM | #24
I feel like if we find out a name after not knowing for so long it just wouldn't feel right to have it there. This is just like if we ever found out the name of the doctor.

Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 05:36 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by NilethStar View Post
I feel like if we find out a name after not knowing for so long it just wouldn't feel right to have it there. This is just like if we ever found out the name of the doctor.
Hmmm, too right. Things like that always work better if left to the imagination.

MatthewSphilli
05.26.2013 , 10:05 AM | #26
Do you think it's possible that, in a galaxy of over 20 million species, no one has ever thought to ask them they're name? They're obviously sentient and important, and maybe when you meet over 20 million species you stop keeping track, and just don't care that much anymore.

Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 10:10 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by MatthewSphilli View Post
Do you think it's possible that, in a galaxy of over 20 million species, no one has ever thought to ask them they're name? They're obviously sentient and important, and maybe when you meet over 20 million species you stop keeping track, and just don't care that much anymore.
Lol, my thoughts exactly. They are simply not prominent and well known enough. I mean add that to the fact that there are only 5 of them recorded in existence, most of the time the only known members in their respective eras, and that they have always been Jedi - pretty reclusive and deliberately faceless individuals. Whether they fight in wars or not.

Slowpokeking
05.26.2013 , 01:01 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Like I said the Celestials were known and named by ancient races such as the Gree and the Kiliks, these species coexisted with the Celestials who were a dominant and prominent species. So scientists actually could 'find' them. We can presume that this name has been passed down through the ages so that sentient species of 'today' are aware of it. The Ones as I have already explained, named themselves and gave that name to others such as the Nightsisters and the Force demons for lack of information cannot be commented on.

We also have to remember that the Celestials left behind many ancient artifacts that can be studied and analysed. This is essentially it, if something can't be studied and analysed it cannot be formally named therefore Yoda's species cannot be formally named and will remain unnamed until someone comes across a Yoda village or get's hold of Yoda's body.
Then many people coexisted with Yoda's race, especially the members of the Jedi order, why wouldn't they give them a name?

Beniboybling
05.26.2013 , 01:33 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Then many people coexisted with Yoda's race, especially the members of the Jedi order, why wouldn't they give them a name?
I believe I've already covered this point on multiple occasions. In fact I the very post you quoted addresses this point.

But concerning the Jedi, they are the least likely to ascribe a name to Yoda's species as they are the most likely to respect and revere their culture and probably see no need to. I expect some have asked but the answer is likely 'have a name, we do not' or 'choose to take a name, we do not' or 'lost to the centuries, our name has been' and a Jedi is content to leave it at that rather than say 'OK well I'm going to name you Phyllomedusa sauvagii!'

What if the Yoda-species don't have a name and don't want to be named? What if that's a part of their culture? The few beings in the galaxy that they come across them can respect that.

Slowpokeking
05.26.2013 , 02:38 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I believe I've already covered this point on multiple occasions. In fact I the very post you quoted addresses this point.

But concerning the Jedi, they are the least likely to ascribe a name to Yoda's species as they are the most likely to respect and revere their culture and probably see no need to. I expect some have asked but the answer is likely 'have a name, we do not' or 'choose to take a name, we do not' or 'lost to the centuries, our name has been' and a Jedi is content to leave it at that rather than say 'OK well I'm going to name you Phyllomedusa sauvagii!'

What if the Yoda-species don't have a name and don't want to be named? What if that's a part of their culture? The few beings in the galaxy that they come across them can respect that.
Not just the Jedi know it, most of the other races also know it since the Jedi played a big part in the war.

We still have to name it just like we did to all other beings.