Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New computer for SWTOR

gankenstein
05.13.2013 , 12:25 PM | #1
Hey guys,

As many hours as I have put into SWTOR, I should have upgraded my computer long ago, that being said, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the parts for a new build. I am curious to what kind of performance gains you think I will get compared to my current setup:

Current:

E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0ghz
8gb DDR2 800mhz
300gb Velociraptor 10,000 RPM
GTX 560Ti (my old gtx 280 died like 18 months ago)
Asus 680i or something mobo

New system:
i5 3570k 3.8ghz (4.2 ghz turboboost), probably going to overclock to around 4.5ghz
16gb DDR3 1600mhz
128gb Samsung 840 SSD
Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo
Asus GTX 660Ti

In my current system, I get like 20-40 fps when questing on planets but in WZ I only would get like 10 fps and this is on the lowest settings.

I hope I can run the game on the highest settings and get a good framerate now, even in wzs. Do you think that will be possible? I know other games like Skyrim are just going to look and function great on the new computer but I am unsure about SWTOR due to its ****** engine/coding.

chuixupu
05.13.2013 , 12:51 PM | #2
I think the CPU upgrade is probably going to make a difference, and the faster RAM.

My comp is not nearly as good as what you are getting and I tend to have 100fps in most cases. Makeb gets chunky sometimes. I think the server just gets overloaded or something.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Malastare
05.13.2013 , 01:00 PM | #3
Faster RAM is over-valued. DDR3-1600 is about 1% faster than DDR3-1333, and DDR3-1333 is about 5% faster than DDR2-800. So... your memory speed is maybe 6% faster. Everything else being equal, it would get you an improvement of something like 4fps. Live the dream.

That said, you will have a better experience, largely due to the better CPU and GPU. The memory speed isn't going to be noticeable at all. The fact that your CPU has an internal memory controller on a dedicated bus will be. The video card isn't a monster, but its more than enough for the game. I use something similar. On a single monitor, its pretty easy to get 60fps and still not have the card close to overheating.

Now, just don't ruin it by getting some cheap, crappy PSU. Or if you do, don't overclock. It's a bad, bad, idea to try to overclock a CPU if your PSU doesn't have pretty good ripple suppression.

scraycroft
05.13.2013 , 01:04 PM | #4
You're going to hit a ceiling with SWTOR.

The game engine can only handle so much, a high-end rig will not make a giant impact unless you were playing on a POS before.
Malystriz PuffinStuff
The Bastion
Quote: Originally Posted by ChewyYui View Post
They added alacrity to the gear so you can taunt things faster and accuracy is there so the fast taunts don't miss, fly off and taunt a tree or something.

PlayLoud
05.13.2013 , 01:04 PM | #5
You can see the specs in my sig. The video card you had is fine, though this new card will probably strain less on planets with a lot of grass (assuming you are running with everything cranked to the max).

Biggest difference is going to be the CPU. SWTOR definitely takes advantage of at least 4 cores, so it should be a noticeable improvement. Load times will also improved with the SSD. That's really a great system for SWTOR.

Edit: By the way, I wish you well with your OCing efforts. My 3570k won't go beyond 4.2, no matter the voltage.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz | Mobo: GA-Z77X-D3H | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | SSD: Samsung EVO 1TB
Video: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G | PSU: Corsair AX850 | Case: Antec P182 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Sound: Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Headset: Sennheiser PC 360 | OS: Win 10 64 | Monitor: Dell G2410 1080p

gankenstein
05.13.2013 , 01:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
Faster RAM is over-valued. DDR3-1600 is about 1% faster than DDR3-1333, and DDR3-1333 is about 5% faster than DDR2-800. So... your memory speed is maybe 6% faster. Everything else being equal, it would get you an improvement of something like 4fps. Live the dream.

That said, you will have a better experience, largely due to the better CPU and GPU. The memory speed isn't going to be noticeable at all. The fact that your CPU has an internal memory controller on a dedicated bus will be. The video card isn't a monster, but its more than enough for the game. I use something similar. On a single monitor, its pretty easy to get 60fps and still not have the card close to overheating.

Now, just don't ruin it by getting some cheap, crappy PSU. Or if you do, don't overclock. It's a bad, bad, idea to try to overclock a CPU if your PSU doesn't have pretty good ripple suppression.
I bought an 850watt corsair powersupply that had a bunch of 5 star reviews on newegg. I've always used corsair powersupplies and never had an issue. (I've built so many bomb computers for friends over the years)

gankenstein
05.13.2013 , 01:08 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by PlayLoud View Post
You can see the specs in my sig. The video card you had is fine, though this new card will probably strain less on planets with a lot of grass (assuming you are running with everything cranked to the max).

Biggest difference is going to be the CPU. SWTOR definitely takes advantage of at least 4 cores, so it should be a noticeable improvement. Load times will also improved with the SSD. That's really a great system for SWTOR.

Edit: By the way, I wish you well with your OCing efforts. My 3570k won't go beyond 4.2, no matter the voltage.
Nice man, we have very similar builds then. Yeah we'll see about the OCing, I bought a nice aftermarket cooler too so I'll give it a shot but either way I think the CPU is going to be pretty sweet!

I think my only regret will be that I didn't do this sooner.

Malastare
05.13.2013 , 01:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by gankenstein View Post
I bought an 850watt corsair powersupply that had a bunch of 5 star reviews on newegg. I've always used corsair powersupplies and never had an issue. (I've built so many bomb computers for friends over the years)
Well done, sir. A fine choice. I've been using Seasonic, the people who make most of those Corsair PSUs.

And to add to a previous point: The 660 won't be drastically better than the 560. However, what you gain is the ability to dive into the nVidia control panel and turn on additional quality for antialiasing and other graphical tweaks.

Hekynn
05.13.2013 , 01:29 PM | #9
With those new specs your gonna LOVE the performance increase I had a similar setup with your old PC but the difference was a quad core and I upgraded to a i5 3570k 8gb ram 1600mhz ram and WOW what a difference even in OP's hardly any lag except for on the Server end. LOL.

gankenstein
05.13.2013 , 06:46 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Hekynn View Post
With those new specs your gonna LOVE the performance increase I had a similar setup with your old PC but the difference was a quad core and I upgraded to a i5 3570k 8gb ram 1600mhz ram and WOW what a difference even in OP's hardly any lag except for on the Server end. LOL.
That's awesome to hear. Thanks man will be building it in the morning once I get the case delivered.