Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

About leavers in WZ

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
About leavers in WZ

Ybini
05.13.2013 , 07:17 AM | #51
Too many CTD to put this in. You'll be punishing people who have glitchy computers or network issues so its not going to happen.

warstory
05.13.2013 , 07:21 AM | #52
I don't mind stay but if the group I get in with is just throwing away the game by making extremely poor decision I will leave.
"Surely you know I could kill you just as easily with my lightsaber as I could with the force "

Dawncatcher
05.13.2013 , 07:40 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Sefarad View Post
Example: a good player that rocks in PVP and queues on his own quits because his team is awful. No big deal, just one quitter... Then, a "baddie" also quits because he just wants to win. Then, a third one quits because "man, again a bad team and I'll never complete my Weekly...". Then, a "replacement guy" finds himself in a lost WZ and quits...

All had their "legitimate" reasons to quit, but the consequence, for ALL players involved, is that the WZ was not fun to play.
I wasn't quoted by you, but I was the only one who recently mentioned legitimate reasons to quit, so I'm not sure if you were talking to me or not. However, none of those were what I meant when I mentioned legitimate reasons to quit.

These are the examples I mentioned earlier:
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawncatcher View Post
Disconnects, memory leak crashing, other crashes, permastuck-after-scamper, real life emergencies. Or those matches where the scoreboard and rewards never appear and *everyone* has to leave.
If someone's internet connection blips out, is a debuff afterwards going to magically prevent that from happening? Bioware has no fault tolerance for connection blips, so even if I only lose my internet connection for 2 seconds, the game shuts down. As it stands now, I can often reload the game fast enough to backfill into my own slot during slow hours; were there a debuff, I would obviously be unable to do so. Same deal for people crashing out due to memory leaks or other bugs -- should people get debuffed just because Bioware's code is faulty? There have been cases where people used to crash every time they loaded into a particular warzone map. There's also been cases lately of scoundrels using the new scamper skill only to get permastuck, and I've heard /stuck doesn't work; would you rather they stand in place doing nothing rather than just quit out to fix the bug, either coming right back to backfill their own slot or at least letting someone non-bugged come in? And you could argue that people shouldn't queue if they're going to have a real life emergency, but if they knew there was going to be an emergency, it wouldn't be an emergency, now would it? As for the matches where there's no scoreboard or credits at the end, you do realize every person on both sides including you would get the debuff? Unless you just want to sit in the warzone for several hours waiting for a game manager to come shut it down manually.

Yes, I realize 95% of the people quitting are quitting because they're losing and want to win or similar reasons, but, as stated earlier, these people would just stay and put no effort if there were any substantial punishment for leaving. The only ones who would still likely leave are the 5% or so who had perfectly reasonable reasons to begin with. If you think someone can't do anything worse than leave, just wait until a guardian on your side grabs the ball from mid, runs back towards the goal on your side, and stands there waiting for the opposing team to kill him so they can score. 4 times in one match. Multiple matches in a row. Makes you want to have a "Vote to mark as traitor" option that, if enough people check, you can start killing your own "teammate". If there were substantial penalties for leaving, I expect we'd see more stunts like that in "protest".

groovegod
05.13.2013 , 07:43 AM | #54
Omg guys.

1 guy leaves at the start, other joins and leaves, another one does the same and so on. Every1 has their ego, their skill and opinion, their attitude and so on, but that has nothing to do with this, on the other side 1 WZ match gets ruined after another.

I don't see fun and skill in a game where u win because other team needs 2 more players or loose because some conq geared ******e dont wanna play with noobs or a noob ragequits.

Every1 quits these days, noobs and skilled alike, so pls penalize it.
Better to have 3 exciting warzones per day than 10 lame ones.

Sefarad
05.13.2013 , 08:41 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Dawncatcher View Post
I wasn't quoted by you, but I was the only one who recently mentioned legitimate reasons to quit, so I'm not sure if you were talking to me or not. However, none of those were what I meant when I mentioned legitimate reasons to quit.
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. The reasons you mention (mainly computer and connectivity issues) are indeed sound and will be an obstacle if they ever think to punish quitters.

I just hope they come out with something to disencourage quitting or to encourage staying and keep fighting, because this is an issue at the moment. I guess it is difficult to change the mindset of some people who like easy and effortless rewards, as it is difficult to change the mindset of other people that appear to believe that they fight alone.

Dawncatcher
05.13.2013 , 09:06 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Sefarad View Post
I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. The reasons you mention (mainly computer and connectivity issues) are indeed sound and will be an obstacle if they ever think to punish quitters.

I just hope they come out with something to disencourage quitting or to encourage staying and keep fighting, because this is an issue at the moment. I guess it is difficult to change the mindset of some people who like easy and effortless rewards, as it is difficult to change the mindset of other people that appear to believe that they fight alone.
Well, with regards to the people just quitting because they can't stand losing or whatever, if you don't want to risk people avoiding the debuff or other punishment but still trying to get out of the match as fast as they can by betraying their own team (e.g. grabbing the Huttball from mid, deliberately running to the wrong goal, and standing there while the other team kills them), I think positive reinforcement might work better than negative reinforcement.

For example, some people have stated that a lot of matches seem to be taking longer, because they are closer, but they would grind commendations faster from landslide losses since at least the match would be over faster. I don't know about that, time flies when I'm having fun, so I can't tell if matches are taking longer or not. (I can say that somehow I've been earning commendations to get Partisan gear faster than I've been earning credits to rip the mods from the Partisan gear into augmented gear, and haven't even started upgrading the augments because of that... but that's probably a separate issue.) However, I do think it would be great if they increased end-of-match rewards based on the length of the match, for both winners and losers. Perhaps certain base rewards so as not to penalize swift victors, but if the match last longer than X minutes, start scaling upwards to preserve the time-reward of valour, commendations, credits, etc. Most people who love PvP for PvP and not just the rewards love close matches, which tend to be long, and providing increased rewards on both sides for the effort they put into these close matches would hopefully help even people there for the rewards see the value of their time. And if not, I'd still rather they quit than help the other team win or just sit there complaining about how everyone better than them is a hacker or the rest of us are bad because we aren't healing them while they death-match in a distant corner away from the objectives.

islander
05.13.2013 , 09:08 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by groovegod View Post
This has became annoying to me. All leavers should get a debuff and be prevented from entering a wz for a period of time. Or get a "deserter" title glued to their nameplates and have to pay creds or cartel coins to get rid off.

I did the math, it turned out almost every 3rd WZ i was in got ruined by ppl leaving at start or at some point. And I do alot of WZ per day.

Bioware, do it. DO IT.
I was going to say something, but your expertise/gear is horrible so I'm going to leave this thread now.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Kurvv
05.13.2013 , 09:32 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by KettleBelll View Post
If you played better, people wouldn't leave your warzone.
So true....

Someone brought up that there's a quitting debuff for gf, so there should be one for wzs too. That will be a valid argument when pvp also gets the option to immediately vote kick someone who is hurting your team, aka a ledge moron in hb, the opponent's node kill feeder in ah, the guy who gets keyboard-stunned in cw and nc, and the tunneler in vs.
My preferred method of cc is death

foxmob
05.13.2013 , 09:46 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
I used to get slightly irritated at quitters. More so if I was the one backfilling for them. Then I had a realization in a HB match the other day... we went down two goals almost immediately, definitely within the first 1.5 minutes, looked like we were going to get stomped. I'm just waiting to see how many people quit and make it even worse for us (but, in fact, I don't remember anyone quitting). Then we put together a play... We SCORE! A few minutes later we score again. OMG we tied it up! Then we play a tough game, neither side scoring for a long time. They managed another score with about a minute left, so we lose, but who cares? Well, I care a little, but that's not the point - it was a great game that ended up being pretty darned close. So my realization was that quitters must never get to play come-back games (win or lose in the end) - since they (often) give up at the first sign of difficulty. So now, instead of being mad, I feel sorry for them.
my rated team -- when bloodline actually had a rated team -- was like this in hb. we had a regular focus and tank guardian, but we didn't have anyone in guild who pvp'd and would run combat. nor did we have a shadow of any kind. so we regularly gave up the first goal. sometimes the first two until we realized what we were. we had great ball movement and awesome control, taunts, dps. the trick was accepting that we were not going to get the first drop, and that would probably mean a score.

not really constructive to the thread, but it just popped in there when I read your story.
Krackerjack/Deinon/Antiphon
JC -- Harb -- TEH

SlimsPicken
05.13.2013 , 09:58 AM | #60
this is a dead horse.

To prevent leavers, you need to stop bads, stop premades, stop smash, stop objective WZs, basically stop pvp.

Everyones got some reason to leave, so to prevent all the reasons you basically just need to stop pvp.

The bottom line is, if it aint fun, people get done. They leave.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.