Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Worth it to double up on orbital strike pvp bonus?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Worth it to double up on orbital strike pvp bonus?

Grimsblood
05.01.2013 , 05:39 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post
Snip
In all reality, the extra 2 ticks will be situational to the raid in comparison to the loss of stats in the long run. For instance; in our raid (of which smuggling is a part of) we have 5 Gunslingers, 1 dps scoundrel and 2 scoundrel healers. That is 6 OS' on add groups and 8 if healers don't need to heal. For our 16 man we would have to look solely at the single target dps of the ability. Furthermore we would have to make sure OS is cast with enough time to finish (What happens if the CD of the ability comes off with the transition timing clipping the last 2 ticks?)

Another thing to note, if the idea is to keep the X2 2 piece bonus we will be loosing more cunning in the next tier of gear. The only two specs that could potentially maintain it would be MM or Engineering (I am ignoring the hybrid due to energy costs).
DPS is science. Healing is art. Tanking is strategy.
Hippolytà - Level 50 Sentinel - Grimsblood - Level 55 Sage
Saphyria - Level 55 Sniper - Fenrîr - Level 55 Gunslinger

paowee
05.01.2013 , 06:28 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Grimsblood View Post
In all reality, the extra 2 ticks will be situational to the raid in comparison to the loss of stats in the long run.
Yep you are right. There is a follow-up to his post in the previous page
Spoiler
Quote:
would have to look solely at the single target dps of the ability.
That is what we're trying to see and hoping people would parse this out and post their logs

Quote:
Furthermore we would have to make sure OS is cast with enough time to finish (What happens if the CD of the ability comes off with the transition timing clipping the last 2 ticks?)
Imo it's effectiveness single target will solely be dependent on the player and how well he/she can squeeze 5 orbital ticks in in between raid and boss mechanics. Will definitely require some active pre-emptive raiding! That is why to keep things more objective, we are trying to talk (and will determine in a bit after people parse it) if in current content,

5 ticks of Orbital is more single target DPS than ~40 Cunning on a single target sustained training dummy fight.

Quote:
Another thing to note, if the idea is to keep the X2 2 piece bonus we will be loosing more cunning in the next tier of gear.
IF in next tier of gear the Cunning loss goes up to an extent that will make 5 ticks of orbital on a single target obsolete, then we can swap our gear.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

Grimsblood
05.01.2013 , 06:50 PM | #23
In not so many words, my point is that the extra ticks will be purely subjective regardless of what the numbers end up telling us.
DPS is science. Healing is art. Tanking is strategy.
Hippolytà - Level 50 Sentinel - Grimsblood - Level 55 Sage
Saphyria - Level 55 Sniper - Fenrîr - Level 55 Gunslinger

CoppertheBeagle
05.01.2013 , 09:31 PM | #24
That is not true. what the numbers will tell us is if to get the max dps out of a gunslinger is that the ideal set up. I am currently raiding with it and i can tell you its pretty good so far. I definitely notice a difference between the 9 seconds and the 15 seconds. I am still learning my new spec tho so I am not amazing on my parses.

Does any1 know if simulationcraft is being updated?

paowee
05.02.2013 , 11:45 AM | #25
@everydayimsmuglin

OFFTOPIC: how do you get your parse to show only the actual boss fight of the encounter? i've noticed some people can do this as well. for example golden fury, operations chief and olok the shadow. your torparse/statistics log shows

Began at Olok (P2) http://www.torparse.com/a/202145/25
20:55:09.948 Evrydayimsmggln enters combat.
20:55:09.966 Evrydayimsmggln loses Sprint.
20:55:09.970 Evrydayimsmggln gains 100 threat on Olok the Shadow.
20:55:10.444 Evrydayimsmggln activates Speed Shot.

whereas mine shows (P1) http://www.torparse.com/a/202534/1
20:29:00.409 B'oarder enters combat.
20:29:00.447 B'oarder loses Sprint.
20:29:01.414 B'oarder activates Orbital Strike.
20:29:03.053 B'oarder gains 1000 threat on Bodyguard.
20:29:03.211 B'oarder gains 1000 threat on Bodyguard.

namesaretough
05.02.2013 , 03:08 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by paowee View Post

OFFTOPIC: how do you get your parse to show only the actual boss fight of the encounter?
I don't do anything special with my logs, just upload them. It's possible in this particular fight that torparse reads in the full fight if you still have an add up with olok spawns, but if you kill them all first and have a few seconds downtime before he spawns it will only read the last phase.

EDIT: It looks like, in my parse, I leave combat at 20:55:09.510 (at the end of the previous segment of the parse, about 30sec after the last droid dies) and then re-enter combat with Olok at 20:55:09.948, .44 sec later
Smugglin

paowee
05.02.2013 , 03:19 PM | #27
I will keep that in mind for Olok next week.

And then... there is Operations chief >_<...