Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Community Team, the Communication is Falling Off Again

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Community Team, the Communication is Falling Off Again
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu
04.30.2013 , 12:41 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
No, I agree with you. I am just pointing out that if the community made it a more pleasant experience when they do talk to us, maybe they would WANT to do it more.

I am personally convinced that Joveth was driven off by the community. Probably the CMs before him were too. I think he just couldn't take the abuse anymore and left.
Considering two other community managers were let go at the same time, i'm pretty convinced it was EA getting cheap and downsizing, and not Joveth's decision.

But I do agree the community is really obnoxious in general. People who go after this kind of job will likely expect it and are prepared to deal with it.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Lord_Karsk
04.30.2013 , 12:43 PM | #12
Well when the customers have to tell the community team to communicate then you know things are bad

EricMusco
04.30.2013 , 12:45 PM | #13 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Every time the Community Team has been restructured, we have been promised increased communication. And that has always been true...for a time.

When Eric Musco took over, the first few weeks were great. You guys posted a ton and I was cautiously optimistic...I am sure many others felt the same. We liked what you guys were doing, but we had seen it before.

Now just like all those teams before, you guys are posting less and less. I can't speak for everyone, but I will say that I haven't given up on you yet, so hopefully you can get back to the job you were doing a couple months ago.

Maybe there is just a lull in the new information you have to share, I don't know. This is just a friendly reminder that we appreciate the job you do and hope you will continue to do your best to keep us informed.
Hey Icebergy!

Fear not, we have not gotten complacent in our communication. I believe your last sentence or two is the main focus. We will definitely have a lot more to comment on and talk about as we get closer to 2.1! As you may have noticed, we worked with some fan sites to help them get some of the cooler information to you which in some cases steals a little thunder from the "yellow posts," but we think this is more fun for community interaction overall.

As some have noted, there will also be times where we are on vacation and communication could lighten during those days. I know there are things that folks are still looking for information on such as when the Bolster bugs will be addressed and Gamestop/Best Buy issues, and I will continue to give information on those and any other issues as I have it!

We as a community team appreciate your confidence in us, we won't let you down!

-eric

Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Mark-JPS
04.30.2013 , 12:53 PM | #14
Well, EA laid off 10% of their workforce last week, so who knows if Bioware was affected.

chuixupu
04.30.2013 , 12:56 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post

Help us community team, you're are only hope!
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Kilora
04.30.2013 , 01:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Mark-JPS View Post
Well, EA laid off 10% of their workforce last week, so who knows if Bioware was affected.
BW most likely wasn't affected. SWTOR is one of their best $-making games right now, thanks to the CM.

Ontop of that -- while EA owns BW, BioWare still functions as a subsidiary -- and aside from budget cuts, EA does not dictate how staffing is handled at BW. (Note: Information came from BioWare themselves during a "Get a Job at Bioware" panel at PAX East)

Andryah
04.30.2013 , 01:09 PM | #17
Every time the Community Team has been restructured, we have been promised increased communication. And that has always been true...for a time.

When Eric Musco took over, the first few weeks were great. You guys posted a ton and I was cautiously optimistic...I am sure many others felt the same. We liked what you guys were doing, but we had seen it before.

Now just like all those teams before, you guys are posting less and less. I can't speak for everyone, but I will say that I haven't given up on you yet, so hopefully you can get back to the job you were doing a couple months ago.
I disagree. It's fairly normal to see "insufficient" communications (in players eyes) ahead of a major patch, especially one that creates any kind of self-induced player controversy. The appetite for information is insatiable, the patience levels in some almost zero, and that is prime time for complaint based threads.

Maybe there is just a lull in the new information you have to share.....
Ya think?

They cannot reveal what is not ready for public release yet.

Also, they are professionals. So they are not likely to respond to subjective doomsday threads and posts that are very common ahead of a major patch either. They certainly are not going to respond to hyperbolic doomsday posts, or posts that attack them (not saying this thread is one of those.. just commenting on the general craziness in the forum since some of the 2.1 patch content was released through the internet partners).

This is just a friendly reminder that we appreciate the job you do and hope you will continue to do your best to keep us informed.
Again.. they are professionals. I dont' think they need any friendly reminders.. and the fact that Eric responded to this thread proves my point. Ask them direct, honest, non-inflammatory questions and they have been really good about responding IMO (though not always to the satisfaction of the requestors.. but that's a different issue entirely).
SWTOR... the MMO some people LOVE to HATE, others HATE to LOVE, and others simply embrace it and play it for what it is.

Cleet_Xia
04.30.2013 , 01:12 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Avicii View Post
This is exactly it. I believe anything they say someone will twist and turn their words and god forbid if they dont meet the exact time or criteria they said people go ballistic and insult the developers and forum speakers personally and call for them to be fired.
Right on. Many of the forum goers seem to have this idea in their heads that between writing yellow posts the community team is cracking the whip on the rest of the devs... which is kind of hilarious if you think about it.

The community team just relays the information they get and try to summarize the community reaction....that's why they are the c o m m u n i t y team. But they get all the hate directed at them personally as though they are the ones directly responsible for everything.... It's not a job I would want.

But it's not a symphtom of "this forum". The community reaction to the info realeased over on dulfy was every bit as negative and vitriolic as it would have been had they released it here.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

Andryah
04.30.2013 , 01:13 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
The community reaction to the info realeased over on dulfy was every bit as negative and vitriolic as it would have been had they released it here.
Indeed it was. A sad statement on a minority of the playerbase IMO.
SWTOR... the MMO some people LOVE to HATE, others HATE to LOVE, and others simply embrace it and play it for what it is.

Icebergy
04.30.2013 , 06:41 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey Icebergy!

Fear not, we have not gotten complacent in our communication. I believe your last sentence or two is the main focus. We will definitely have a lot more to comment on and talk about as we get closer to 2.1! As you may have noticed, we worked with some fan sites to help them get some of the cooler information to you which in some cases steals a little thunder from the "yellow posts," but we think this is more fun for community interaction overall.

As some have noted, there will also be times where we are on vacation and communication could lighten during those days. I know there are things that folks are still looking for information on such as when the Bolster bugs will be addressed and Gamestop/Best Buy issues, and I will continue to give information on those and any other issues as I have it!

-eric

Thanks Eric, I appreciate the fact that you face issues like this head on when some of the previous CMs may have hid from them instead.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.