Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender romance discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender romance discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zandilar's Avatar


Zandilar
04.28.2013 , 04:29 PM | #1201
Quote: Originally Posted by nateslice View Post
Now you're just being petty. I know you're smart from your comments in other threads; I'm sure you know that's not what I was saying at all.

If we see a lot of gay NPCs here, and then we see no gays in the movies, that's a plot hole. Where did they all go?

I also suggested putting a gay character in the new Star Wars movies, to show they do still exist, as this would help to close that plot hole. Was that hateful of me, too?
If we go solely by the population depicted in the movies, then we have to ask - how can the A-Galaxy-far-far-away's (AGFFA) population be sustainable? There is a serious population imbalance between male characters and female characters.

On the issue of a plot hole - given the supposed 10% of the population being homosexual (the number is a lot harder to pin down, given the stigma attached to being same gender attracted in all societies, even the more tolerant ones), if every single NPC in the game was gay, it would still be possible. (Lets just ignore other factors for the moment, such as the fact that some species might be more or less inclined towards same gender attraction.) The number of people in AGFFA is so mind bogglingly big, I doubt anyone's brain can truly wrap itself around it (maybe if you're some kind of mathematics genius... but still), the number of characters in SWTOR represents a very very tiny (less than 1%*) percentage of the overall population of AGFFA.

Conversely, the reverse is true. It is possible for there to be no gay people among the entire population of SWTOR NPCs, because the 10% could be people who aren't shown in the game.

Neither scenario is terribly "realistic" - but we are talking about game where people run around wielding "magic" and laser swords, and fly in space ships, where "evil" causes physical deformities. I would, personally, like one gay and one lesbian option for every class for a full romance, and a selection of non-companion NPCs to flirt with. I don't think that's too much to ask.

In any event, there's no way we'll end up with more SGRs than OGRs in this game - at best we will have equal numbers (provided they turn all existing OGRs herosexual, which seems very unlikely). It causes no plot hole.

* To put it in perspective, 1% of 1 trillion is 1 billion. Now I doubt there's one billion NPCs in SWTOR. AGFFA is in the multiple trillions of people. (10% is 100 billion, so y'know.)
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.28.2013 , 05:22 PM | #1202
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
If we go solely by the population depicted in the movies, then we have to ask - how can the A-Galaxy-far-far-away's (AGFFA) population be sustainable? There is a serious population imbalance between male characters and female characters.

On the issue of a plot hole - given the supposed 10% of the population being homosexual (the number is a lot harder to pin down, given the stigma attached to being same gender attracted in all societies, even the more tolerant ones), if every single NPC in the game was gay, it would still be possible. (Lets just ignore other factors for the moment, such as the fact that some species might be more or less inclined towards same gender attraction.) The number of people in AGFFA is so mind bogglingly big, I doubt anyone's brain can truly wrap itself around it (maybe if you're some kind of mathematics genius... but still), the number of characters in SWTOR represents a very very tiny (less than 1%*) percentage of the overall population of AGFFA.

Conversely, the reverse is true. It is possible for there to be no gay people among the entire population of SWTOR NPCs, because the 10% could be people who aren't shown in the game.

Neither scenario is terribly "realistic" - but we are talking about game where people run around wielding "magic" and laser swords, and fly in space ships, where "evil" causes physical deformities. I would, personally, like one gay and one lesbian option for every class for a full romance, and a selection of non-companion NPCs to flirt with. I don't think that's too much to ask.

In any event, there's no way we'll end up with more SGRs than OGRs in this game - at best we will have equal numbers (provided they turn all existing OGRs herosexual, which seems very unlikely). It causes no plot hole.

* To put it in perspective, 1% of 1 trillion is 1 billion. Now I doubt there's one billion NPCs in SWTOR. AGFFA is in the multiple trillions of people. (10% is 100 billion, so y'know.)
Well the numbers are off it's more like 3%. Still, when talking trillions of people, that's a huge number!

However, to much to ask for? It just might be. After all, where just now getting ready to obtain a character recustomization option, and even then, it's Cartel Market (by the looks of it).

Would it be to much to ask for the option to have a choice in blaster types and lightsaber types for the classes? Maybe the Agent would rather use a blaster pistol. The Sith Warrior would like to use a double bladed lightsaber.

Out of SGR flirts/companions and weapon customization, which do you think would have more mass appeal?

A new class added in. There's those who want that. Which do you think would have more mass appeal?

New storylines for the classes? Hmmm...the SGR flirts/companions would likely be easy enough to add in over this one.

I think it's pretty obvious (and I admit, could be wrong here) that in the next new planet (no idea when this will come about, mind you) there will be more SGR flirts. Not sure about SGRomances with the next quest givers, but maybe a good bet they're bi to appease everyone, after Makeb had everyone going gaaaaah, even though there were enough "Add SGR to be fair" and it got added and it then became "Not enough!" which is only suprising because it seemed pretty much known it wouldn't be adding any SGR companions.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.28.2013 , 05:24 PM | #1203
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Not without a heavy dose of space magic and the people who killed him whining that either a) they can't get him as a companion or b) he's dead and seeing him with someone else is "immersion breaking".

Personally I think they can get stuffed. Space Magic FTW.
Or just write a story where it shows he survived!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Highborne's Avatar


Highborne
04.28.2013 , 05:27 PM | #1204
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Or just write a story where it shows he survived!
Aaaand, cue the whining from all the DS people who killed him off. That's the problem - although if you're suggesting something like another SWTOR comic that mentions his survival in passing, it might maybe work, I guess.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.28.2013 , 05:38 PM | #1205
Quote: Originally Posted by Highborne View Post
Aaaand, cue the whining from all the DS people who killed him off. That's the problem - although if you're suggesting something like another SWTOR comic that mentions his survival in passing, it might maybe work, I guess.
They chose the DS option. He died. You write two new intro scenes. One where he didn't and you meet up, and one where he did and you meet up.

My BH saved the Supreme Chancellor, but if they came in and said "Another BH killed the Supreme Chancellor." I'm not going to go "But I saved him!"
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

stormdrakelord's Avatar


stormdrakelord
04.28.2013 , 05:41 PM | #1206
Quote: Originally Posted by Highborne View Post
Aaaand, cue the whining from all the DS people who killed him off. That's the problem - although if you're suggesting something like another SWTOR comic that mentions his survival in passing, it might maybe work, I guess.
and there are likely people who are complaining that they cannot Kill Republic Scientist chick, and that they want to do so...
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.28.2013 , 05:50 PM | #1207
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
and there are likely people who are complaining that they cannot Kill Republic Scientist chick, and that they want to do so...
Well of course! I think everyone has NPCs they want to kill, regardless of anything.

I know I'd like to beable to kill Skadge (BH companion) and that one Imperial Officer who asked my Chiss to help cover up the murder of another Chiss.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
04.28.2013 , 09:07 PM | #1208
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Well of course! I think everyone has NPCs they want to kill, regardless of anything.

I know I'd like to beable to kill Skadge (BH companion) and that one Imperial Officer who asked my Chiss to help cover up the murder of another Chiss.
So, did you do it or refuse the quest? :P

Funny thing about that quest is that you only have the option to ask "why should I go against my own people?" if you're an Agent, it never recognizes your species on any other class.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
04.28.2013 , 09:57 PM | #1209
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
So, did you do it or refuse the quest? :P

Funny thing about that quest is that you only have the option to ask "why should I go against my own people?" if you're an Agent, it never recognizes your species on any other class.
I refused the quest! On my Chiss >_> BH was willing to do it.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
04.29.2013 , 02:28 AM | #1210
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I refused the quest! On my Chiss >_> BH was willing to do it.
I still did it on my Chiss...like I told Aristocra Saganu, I'm a servant of the Empire, not some lost child of the Ascendancy.

I guess this is going off topic too much.

I honestly don't see the developers turning any non-companion NPC into a companion. I think they're going to be very cautious about adding companions in general because the more companions they add, the more content there is that people will potentially want for those companions, and there are so many as it is. Maybe they made the mistake of giving us so many at the start. I think I would have preferred more, deeper content with fewer companions overall.

We have essentially come to the end of all the content that has been previewed and talked about after the game's launch, other than the elusive secret space project. I wonder what exactly the writers are working on now. Extreme pessimism: Nothing. Extreme optimism: There's already some content for another Makeb-like DLC being written. It makes me happy to know that Alex Freed said Bioware contracted him to write something for the game, at least I know there's something being written even if it's small. :P
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant