Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lore-wise Who Is The Most Powerful Character In-Game?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Lore-wise Who Is The Most Powerful Character In-Game?

SithKoriandr
04.28.2013 , 05:47 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Well, frankly, I don't think the Knight doesn't even need to be listed, because he's pretty much outside of competition, being his own story's Deus Ex Machina. Very hard to properly evaluate the power level of a character who practically has plot armour, aside for a plot-specific twist where he isn't meant to overcome the challenge. He seems to be positioned like his cause is just and right, and because of that, he can't lose (within story, at least). I understand that "black-and-white" classic high fantasy hero experience this may have been the point of writing, but it came off a bit cheesy. Playing Dark-ish (avoiding Tourette's moments) does alleviate this a little, but the general vector remains unchanged.

Writing-wise, the Warrior is much more convincing in this regard. He just goes in, overcomes impossible challenges, buying victory with his own blood and sweat without the Knight's "clean" "invincible action hero/Chosen One" feel to him. All this while bragging about his own invincibility. But the character himself seems to be aware that he is, in fact, not unbeatable (the Samurai-ish sub-theme can be played with "If I die, I die" plot choices) - and that's what makes him even stronger.

But that's just my observation from completing both stories several times, once per alignment, plus neutral variations - feel free to disagree. Hard to explain - it's a combination of voice acting, character animations, cutscenes and general storyline that gave me this experience.
I don't know. All the classes seem to have plot armor. But this is only speaking of 5 classes above level 45 (SI, BH, SM, SW, and JK).

With the JK, in the vision on Voss, the Emporer even states the JK really is that powerful.

Haven't gotten the JC up far enough yet, but it's been the JK, SW, and the JC who seem to have the "Most powerful" attached to them. SI I don't recall seeing such a reference, but that could be because of their slave background.

Lore wise, powerful is going to favor the force users. Gameplay wise, it's always going to be a toss up, as they'll never allow one class to be that far ahead of the others.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Helig
04.29.2013 , 12:50 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Lore wise, powerful is going to favor the force users. Gameplay wise, it's always going to be a toss up, as they'll never allow one class to be that far ahead of the others.
Except when they do

At least according to PvP forums. A lot of people may be exaggerating, but there's no smoke without fire.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

OddballEasyEight
05.05.2013 , 08:03 AM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
Except when they do

At least according to PvP forums. A lot of people may be exaggerating, but there's no smoke without fire.
Eeeh, in PvP there is tons of smoke without fire... even in games where the classes are 100% balanced, people will whine about how the other side is better simply because their ego cannot handle losing every now and then.
Actuall had my friend whining about this in counter strike of all things, he whined about how he was always getting killed by the M4, but when he actully started taking score it turned out he was getting killed by thee other guns more often, its just that he noticed the M4 more.
Click here for free stuff.
Complaining about a problem without proposing a solution is called whining.
Click here to view my class storyline videos and preview blaster sounds

stormdrakelord
05.05.2013 , 08:15 AM | #94
I think Nox would be more powerful, considering all the ghosts, and the whole force-walking thing, I doubt getting stabbed would kill him.

And this is coming from a guy who is firmly in the "Jedi" camp
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Bytemite
05.05.2013 , 02:07 PM | #95
People say that the SI isn't as powerful as the others because their power is boosted by the force ghosts so it's not their OWN power. But the thing is, they couldn't even do that if they didn't have a unique and rare force ability to begin with. One that is powerful enough that it provides functional immortality without any body surfing or planet killing. Other classes draw on ambient force energy, but the SI can actually draw upon and summon SENTIENT and coherent force energy, and add that energy to their own, and get more powerful every time.

And that's without considering that they get their own fleet, and a superweapon, and basically awe a council of class supremacists who are the law makers and policy setters of an entire Empire into accepting them, a former slave.

The SI is very powerful in terms of the lore just on the merits of the force abilities. It's just that in this crazy universe, somehow lightsaber skills can compare with powers like that just on the basis of the opposition in each class story.

And yes, I'm saying this despite what I have said about the Jedi Knight, which I still think is valid, and which I say even though the Knight is the only class I've played to 50.

CodyM
05.10.2013 , 07:57 AM | #96
Shouldn't the Imperial Agent be up there with the Jedi Counsular and SI?

Spoiler

Pauper_Ill
05.10.2013 , 02:50 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by longinoch View Post
Which then is the bigger loss to the Empire the Emperor or the Children? Since the loss of the Children is the main accomplishment of the Consular. I do agree that the Consular is above the SI.
Actually, I'd argue that the victory over the Children is the least impressive of the achievements of the JC in Act 3 -- the Supreme Chancellor basically says as much in her speech at the end of the Act. The JC's other planetary quests in Act 3 were what made the victory on Corellia possible, which breaks the back of the Imperial offensive and saves the Republic. Sure, the JC doesn't do it alone, but that's the whole point -- the JC is all about helping those around him/her do things they couldn't have done otherwise.

Lastly, I'll point out that the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy are routinely and repeatedly surprised by what you're able to accomplish as the JC. This conversation repeats over and over through the JC's class story:

Jedi Master/Member of Jedi Council: "So you defeated this enemy of the Jedi."
You: "Actually I saved him/her. You'll want to tend to this person while he/she recovers."
Jedi Master/Member of Jedi Council: "You did? I didn't think that was even possible!"

I'll admit that the JC is my favorite class, so I'm probably biased, but I think the argument still holds.
--
Pauper

Pauper_Ill
05.10.2013 , 02:57 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Bytemite View Post
People say that the SI isn't as powerful as the others because their power is boosted by the force ghosts so it's not their OWN power. But the thing is, they couldn't even do that if they didn't have a unique and rare force ability to begin with. One that is powerful enough that it provides functional immortality without any body surfing or planet killing. Other classes draw on ambient force energy, but the SI can actually draw upon and summon SENTIENT and coherent force energy, and add that energy to their own, and get more powerful every time.
I haven't finished the SI class quests yet, so I don't know...

Spoiler
--
Pauper