Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Your personal Star Wars question you always couldn't find an answer too.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Your personal Star Wars question you always couldn't find an answer too.

ZahirS
04.26.2013 , 08:14 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by bionamaster View Post
In the Clone Wars, to the best of my knowledge, Korriban was a Republic world. Since it's the birthplace of the Sith, why didn't Count Dooku capture it? Did he try and fail?
I think Korriban is a long forgotten world, probably only palpatine knows about it, also its not a highly important military target unless you want to train sith lords and dooku didn't want to do that.

Doctoglethorpe
04.26.2013 , 10:16 PM | #112
Theres a battle fought there but its only mentioned not detailed. Thus it must not be important.

Even if Sidious cared about the world (I'm not really sure if he did) it would likely have little tactical significance to the Confederacy. Sidious wouldn't need them to invade it since he would flat out own it once he became Emperor regardless.

Wookiepedia is your friend for factual questions like that.

Noblis
04.27.2013 , 05:48 AM | #113
I always wanted to know how many Stormtroopers did Princess Leia 86 throughout all of the movies.
She seems to have a pretty decent body count going.
Someone must keep track of those things.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

BradTheImpaler
04.27.2013 , 03:40 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by Euphrosyne View Post
Between the first comment and the second one, Sidious killed three Jedi Masters and nearly killed a fourth. That, one would think, would be a sufficient demonstration of 'dangerous'.

Besides, Jedi were at that time connected to the Judicial Forces. Windu basically had to offer Sidious a chance to surrender, regardless of whether he thought that offer would actually be accepted.
This "would" make sense, except if you watch the scene again, I'm not talking about when he first walks in and says "In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest, Chancellor."

He says this just as Anakin is walking in, after all three other Jedi Masters have been killed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzTY2VmXMPQ
(skip to around 1:40)
But okay, I guess the second part of your answer makes sense, although it didn't seem like Mace was exactly concerned with judicial approval!
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

adormitul
04.28.2013 , 06:23 AM | #115
Why are the armies of the republic and empire so small after all 50000 imperial soldiers at the second batlle of bothawui why is the imperial army so small? The han empire in 20 bc had a bigger army then them the hungarians the romanians the greeks and many other countries in WW2 could send more troops in fighting and these are not big countries, the empire has worlds that have billions of inhabitants and the rep billion upon billion upon billion upon billions of inhabitants why did they not send more troops there like 500 millions and do not tell me that they can not get the manpower for such an army they have from were.

Lordmird
04.28.2013 , 07:14 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by adormitul View Post
Why are the armies of the republic and empire so small after all 50000 imperial soldiers at the second batlle of bothawui why is the imperial army so small? The han empire in 20 bc had a bigger army then them the hungarians the romanians the greeks and many other countries in WW2 could send more troops in fighting and these are not big countries, the empire has worlds that have billions of inhabitants and the rep billion upon billion upon billion upon billions of inhabitants why did they not send more troops there like 500 millions and do not tell me that they can not get the manpower for such an army they have from were.
The Grammar Gods should never have let you post.
"Who dares wins" "By Strength and Guile" "Per Mare, Per Terram" "Utrinque Paratus" Her Majesty's best
Could you do it?

adormitul
04.29.2013 , 01:27 AM | #117
^They let me get away with a lot more then what you saw there. I can make your eyes bleed if I really want to.

AlexDougherty
04.29.2013 , 07:29 AM | #118
well the armies should be bigger, but in a battle groups above a certain size gain little advantage and gather more casualties. The blaster power of fity thousand troops should reduce most fortresses to rubble, another fifty thousand won't do much more damage, or significantly speed it up, but a bomb amongst them would kill and maim twice as many. And the larger the concentration of troops the more likely one of the captains of the ships involved (assuming more than one fleet) is to take a pot shot at the battlefield, on the basis that he will kill plenty of the enemy.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

adormitul
04.29.2013 , 11:15 AM | #119
Well yeah its more easy to attack with a small army but what I do not understand is why did the republic did not conscript more troops to defend the planet. Does it seem that hard to bring an army 5 times the size of the imperial one before the imperials attack again if lets say they know how big the assault army is?

Euphrosyne
04.29.2013 , 12:03 PM | #120
Well yeah its more easy to attack with a small army but what I do not understand is why did the republic did not conscript more troops to defend the planet. Does it seem that hard to bring an army 5 times the size of the imperial one before the imperials attack again if lets say they know how big the assault army is?
Yes, it's almost as though the Bothans themselves possessed no military forces whatsoever and were unable or unwilling to extemporize any, either. A very puzzling state of affairs.

Still, one could try to make an argument for it. If the shield generator were destroyed, those fifty thousand Imperial troops - less the casualties incurred in seizing control of the generator - would not, theoretically, have to garrison the entire planet. Without the shield generator, attempts to rally armed opposition would be able to be crushed by orbital bombardment.

It's not a particularly sound plan, because it requires indefinite detachment of space naval assets for what is basically garrison duty instead of participating in the battle fleet or on hit-and-fade ops, and it ignores potential difficulty with identifying and eliminating resistance targets. Apart from the creation of a government able to command acceptance, if not allegiance, from the majority of the population - almost certainly an impossibility given the Empire's racism-as-state-policy - the Imperials would need to flood the planet with troops and demonstrate constant presence all over in order to forestall resistance. It is a time-tested solution - 1840s Algeria, late 1940s Dongbei, early 1970s ARVN, the American "troop surge" in Iraq, and so on - and the consequences of not employing that solution are also clear and time-tested. And with fifty thousand soldiers, they simply can't have done that.

Fifty thousand troops are no more capable of garrisoning a populated planet with dedicated resistance than are five to ten thousand.
Euphrosynē (n., Greek) - "mirth, merriment"
Fanfic: Beyond Good and Evil