Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Seriously, why should people study...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Seriously, why should people study...

Jarnaktane
04.19.2013 , 09:25 PM | #1
...how to play Flashpoints, Operations and Warzones on the internet instead of logging in to the game and learning to play them by actually playing them.

I see all of the people who are elite (or think they are) in game and whenever a new player asks why they got booted, or what am I doing wrong, these champions of the game say things like google it, or check out this web page and that will tell you what you need to do. What the...?

Last night one of my friends actually got called a whole number of things because he hadn't studied how a warzone works before queueing for PVP! That is just phenomenally bad form!

Why should anyone be told to research how to play on the internet?

How about some of you champions taking the time to walk them through a flashpoint once instead of jumping up and down on the spot and spamming spacebar so you can get your dailies and then complaining that everyone is so bad. Reading the forums this morning, and people are getting roasted for not knowing how to play when they have only just subscribed to the game.

I am not actually coming back to the forums except to read the dev and patch notes from now on, so I guess the point of this post is that maybe one of these elite champions might treat new players a bit better, or at least stop directing people to study before playing.

Troll away...
Got my forum rights back. Now if I could just say....

Eillack
04.19.2013 , 09:27 PM | #2
But you already trolled away OP...

It's common sense to look up info on something you will be getting involved with...guess real life concepts never clicked with you.

But yeah, have fun being a cripple for WZs, etc. for the time being.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Machine-Elf
04.19.2013 , 10:13 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
But you already trolled away OP...

It's common sense to look up info on something you will be getting involved with...guess real life concepts never clicked with you.

But yeah, have fun being a cripple for WZs, etc. for the time being.
No, it's not. What's normal is for the player to understand the mechanics of a game through trial and error.
Why would he want to "look up" something? What if it's his first time playing and he doesn't want to ruin what little shred of story there is to be found in these Flashpoints? And who are you to dictate his play-style.

Now i's my turn to

KostonxEld
04.19.2013 , 10:27 PM | #4
The problem here is you and your friend are queuing for group content with no idea what you are doing. PVP isn't so bad, you can learn and it doesn't cost anything but time for you and others.

The big problem is in flashpoints and ops. If you don't know what you are doing and die or worse get the group killed, you just cost everyone 10k credits repair bill, EACH DEATH! That's not much but if it can be avoided simply by you reading how to fight a boss before you encounter it, do that! Don't complain when you get booted from group for doing something stupid.
Bring it on Sith, the Jedi shall prevail!

Machine-Elf
04.19.2013 , 10:29 PM | #5
Booting people shouldn't be allowed in storymode Flashpoints.

SentinelDranoel
04.19.2013 , 10:56 PM | #6
This entire different generation, they seem to forgot about the excitement of not knowing what comes next. Looking up the game and reading the strategies ruins the game for some people. With the internet and instant guides these days, some people use them before experiecing the gameplay first. Once you start to memorize the mechanics in a video game, then it will start to get easier and tedious.

In my opinion, this issues goes along with the fact that games are easier and more casual than in the 80's and early 90's. In most old school games, you are expected to die multiple times before you finish. These days some people get mad as soon as they die once.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic any day. 8/26/14 That was my old signature but after RotHC, I went back to superheroes and swords and magic. Now waiting on Dragon Age and a SWTOR story expac for my Bioware fix

SithKoriandr
04.19.2013 , 11:17 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SentinelDranoel View Post
This entire different generation, they seem to forgot about the excitement of not knowing what comes next. Looking up the game and reading the strategies ruins the game for some people. With the internet and instant guides these days, some people use them before experiecing the gameplay first. Once you start to memorize the mechanics in a video game, then it will start to get easier and tedious.

In my opinion, this issues goes along with the fact that games are easier and more casual than in the 80's and early 90's. In most old school games, you are expected to die multiple times before you finish. These days some people get mad as soon if they die once.
^This.

I don't want to watch a FP being ran, I want to run it.

What? Something happens, people die, expensive repair bill? Then go run some simple things and get the creds back.

To the OP, a lot of mmo gamers are just whiney little brats that can't handle losing because they were told everyone was special, and they think they're unique little snowflakes. A word to them, snowflakes aren't unique
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

ganondorq
04.19.2013 , 11:24 PM | #8

In my opinion, this issues goes along with the fact that games are easier and more casual than in the 80's and early 90's. In most old school games, you are expected to die multiple times before you finish. These days some people get mad as soon if they die once.
^this exactly.

people now days go and look up every detail of every fight, and then proceed to ***** and moan after they have steamrolled through everything because they new exactly everything about the counter before even setting foot in it.

Lewintelamon
04.19.2013 , 11:28 PM | #9

Give this person a medal, he gets it.
That which seems like a simple request to the player, often is a maze of red tape, approvals, and procedures to the developers.

Dead horse, meet stick. Stick, dead horse. Beating protocols now engaged.

DarkJediMonk
04.19.2013 , 11:29 PM | #10
Back in the good old days of MMO'S players actually tried to enhance the community by teaching them raids,group content.. and the like. There was no oh look it up. It was taught and handed down.

Players built each other up. I've been playing mmo's since Eq1.. The attitude of look it up is one of the reasons people are sitting in ques so long to do things . If your to elitiest .. or whatever you wanna call your self to teach then your helping the community. Sure not helping the ques. Yes I realize some people are on limited time but hey id rather take time and teach someone then send them off to a web site where they may just say the hell with it. And then they just dont que up anymore.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no death, there is the Force.