Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sound Distortion

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

thatonewerty
04.17.2013 , 10:39 PM | #1
So I just recently started playing SWTOR, but there's one bug I can't seem to pinpoint. The game runs fine for the most part; fairly decent FPS, but sometimes the sound begins to distort during combat and gives me severe framerate lagg and it's tough to fight through.

I play on a laptop with a dedicated graphics card
Intel i5 2.4GHz
ATI Radeon Mobility 5400 Series
SATA Hard Drive

and I also play over wifi, but like I said, usually I don't have problems playing the game at all. I've used google to try and find similar threads, but the only relevant ones are at least a year old. My sound card has been updated.

I really don't know what could be causing the distortion but I figure posting will get me more attention and help.
Any helpful comments appreciated.

thatonewerty
04.18.2013 , 03:00 PM | #2
bamp for justice

Bronholz
04.18.2013 , 03:16 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings thatonewerty,

Thanks for contacting us.

Something that you can try is running the Repair function from the launcher, this will check for and repair any corruptions in your game files. You can find this by logging into the launcher and clicking the cog icon.

Additionally, to help us investigate your issue can you please provide us with a Dxdiag.

Before you post it, please remove your PC Name from the DxDiag.

Please post the DxDiag within code tags or spoiler tags

Go to Start menu:
  1. Type dxdiag into the Search/Run box
  2. Select the "Save All Information" button
  3. This will create a dxdiag.txt file(Please remove your PC Name before posting)
Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

thatonewerty
04.18.2013 , 05:05 PM | #4
DxDiag

I will have to wait for the repair results; I'm running it right now.

Spoiler

Bronholz
04.18.2013 , 05:51 PM | #5 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thanks for this information.

From your diag it appears that you Graphics drivers haven't been detected properly (Driver Date/Size: , 0 bytes). This could mean that your drivers have become corrupted, so please try reinstalling the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturers website.

Please let us know how the Repair goes.

Thanks.

thatonewerty
04.18.2013 , 05:58 PM | #6
The repair went without a hitch, but do you think it has to do with my video card? I figured it was a sound driver issue because the sound was what distorted. Do you have any idea what might be causing the issue?

Bronholz
04.18.2013 , 05:59 PM | #7 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
The slow down in combat and the undetected driver could indicate that this is a driver issue.

For this reason I would advise reinstalling the drivers for your card, as per my post above.

Thanks.

thatonewerty
04.18.2013 , 06:23 PM | #8
Interesting. I went to Dell's website and downloaded the video driver off there (I figure Dell is so proprietary it wouldn't hurt to use their outdated driver). I had previously updated the video driver off ATI's website, but I'm interested to see how this turns out. Will return with details.

thatonewerty
04.24.2013 , 04:57 PM | #9
Bump for Update:

As mentioned before, I went to Dell's website and downlaoded their dated driver, which seemed to work temporarily. I played after downloading and the game ran fine for ~2 hours or so. However, the next day, the bug came back.

I'm worried about updating my driver simply because I hate ATI and I don't trust them hardly. In the past I had used ATI's auto-download program which is what might've caused the DXDIAG file I posted to misread what driver I was using (error during install or something).

I will update after installing the driver and testing.

thatonewerty
04.29.2013 , 08:06 PM | #10
Attached is my newest DXDIAG.

I have continued to run into problems after playing for prolonged periods, but to remedy that, I just hop off.

What has pushed me to bump the subject yet again was because I continue to run into problems when logging in and only playing for 20 minutes. My only real solution is to restart the game and hope the problem goes away. Is there any known solution?

Spoiler