Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Prerequisites and mandatory minimum overall gear rating

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Prerequisites and mandatory minimum overall gear rating

Payday-Massacre
04.06.2013 , 02:35 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by kirorx View Post
Hardmodes are too easy to force people to only play if they have done it before in storymode.

I dont like to team up with people in recruit gear or greens becasue i know we will see the bosses enrage, so i can understand your desire for a gear requirement, but that is a PUG issue.

If you dont want to group with new players or teach people what to do, then dont PUG anymore.
You, Sir/Madam, are absolutely right. However, you are seeing this issue from, assuming, a member of a large guild's view point. Yes it is my fault for pugging since I would rather be in a guild with a few members who I know/respect. With in game scheduling conflicting with real life, my dozen 50s rely on a PUG to get the daily hardmodes complete.
Blame Canada

TralyanSavo
04.07.2013 , 08:36 AM | #12
I don't see how anyone finds this to be unreasonable. I'm pretty sure this was the way it was at launch. A legacy wide unlock sounds pretty reasonable to me (maybe have a system that grandfathers people who've done the HM in, or if you have certain achievements on your legacy that you can skip the SMs, like I'm pretty sure if you have a toon who's a Warstalker, you can probably handle the mechanics of HM D7).

Requiring SM FPs would mean more groupfinder pops while leveling and this is a good thing. Secondly, doing more FPs while leveling makes you a better player than if you don't because you learn your class much better than if you simply do class/planet quests (which are all ridiculously easy) or PvP (which is a very different play style than FPs). They also drop better leveling gear than pretty much anything else, plus you get the planetary comms, and this makes leveling faster. You learn group etiquette, manners, etc and what will be expected of you when you get to 50. You also get to know people on your server a bit better, can expand your friends list, find a guild that fits you, etc. Learning the boss mechanics are a plus for HM's but that's not the only benefit.

And if you don't want to do the FPs because they arent your thing, you probably won't want to do the HMs either.

When I leveled my main (tank Shadow), the bulk of leveling that I did was through flashpoints (and class quests and some PvP). Having never tanked in an MMO before, this experience was incredibly valuable and I was able to learn how to use my class, how to hold aggro, how all of the boss fights worked, how to approach pulls, what you can/should skip, etc. These are skills that are helpful to learn when you're moving from FPs to HMs and into Ops.

I think the gear rating minimum would be nice also. I don't mind being with fresh 50s in Tionese and Recruit gear but absolutely no reason you should have greens or empty relic slots as a level 50 or should have mostly Tionese and expect strangers to carry you through Lost Island HM. Also, something to check specs would be nice for people leveling (nothing worse than getting healed by someone who queued as a healer, is a DPS and doesnt bother respeccing for the FP).
Ryaffil (Shadow Tank, Main) - Ryaffia (Guardian) - Odinsun (Sentinel) - Mintass (Commando) - Ryaffam (Gunslinger)
Tralyan (Sorcerer) - Echeara (Juggernaut) - Cran (Mercenary) - Zobess (Operative)
Death Mark - The Shadowlands

Quazi-moto
04.07.2013 , 02:28 PM | #13
I agree with the OP in that a certain level of ability needs to be required before allowing access to a hardmode FP or OPS.
I see 3 different places that make a player have this minimum level of ability
1. Gear
2. Familiarity with FP/OPS
3. Familiarity with class

Since you can't force a minimum on 3, the alternative is to apply a minimum on either 1 or 2 or both. I have played on LOTRO since it came out, even WoW for a bit. Both of these have "gates" for accessing progressively more difficult content.
WoW uses both 1 and 2, and uses number 3 to trim the herd. You can still fail if you can't play well.

LOTRO combines both 1 and 2 into one. It sets the gear you gain from ez (story) mode with tags, so without that gear on, you can't access tougher content. It also requires you to have completed "wings" in order to get to the toughest content.

This is called Progression. Each step you need to show minimum competence before moving on to the next level.

If new gear came with a tag, that would solve both issues with hm/ops gearing AND ability.

The gear itself is already in place.
Tionese should be purchaseable and be required to start sm fp
Columni would be required to start HM fp.
Rakata would be required to start SM ops.
Campaign would be required to start HM ops.
Hazmat/dread guard would be top end gear for running nightmare content.

That is a simple fix that can be implemented without a whole lot of changes to any of the current conent.

This can be applied to PVP easily as well, if they implemented seperate pvp levels.

my 2 creds

grallmate
04.07.2013 , 04:18 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Quazi-moto View Post
The gear itself is already in place.
Tionese should be purchaseable and be required to start sm fp
Columni would be required to start HM fp.
Rakata would be required to start SM ops.
Campaign would be required to start HM ops.
Hazmat/dread guard would be top end gear for running nightmare content.
Sorry what?!

You need gear that only drops in HM FPs to do SM FPs?
You need gear that only drops in HM EV/KP and SM TFB/EC to do SM Ops?
You need gear that only drops in HM EC to do HM EV/KP?
You need gear from HM TFB/NiM EC to run NiM EV/KP?

That would require a degree of re-tuning content, completely overhauling the gear drops and is all complete irrelevant tomorrow when 2.0 hits.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

ayobreezie
04.15.2013 , 01:12 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Payday-Massacre View Post
Aint nobody got time for that.
This is the only thing I took from this post.
Pull up to the scene with my saber missin'! Middle finger up to my competition!