Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Playing as a female character

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Playing as a female character

Telmyst
03.28.2013 , 09:19 AM | #31
I play both, working on having at least one of each gender for each class since I like to see the minor differences and do the different romances available for each gender.. When I play, I don't worry about speculating who's behind the character... I prefer to act as if the character I see is who it is.. *chuckle* Less confusion that way

AmericanFear
03.28.2013 , 10:26 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by MsMalice View Post
As a female who plays as female characters and sometimes male, I haven't noticed any difference between the two in terms of how you are treated by other players. People still usually presume that I am a dude regardless of my character's gender.
That's because on the internet all girls are really guys and all little kids are really the FBI

SladetheHunter
03.30.2013 , 10:59 AM | #33
I play male avatars because I'm a guy. I know the reason many guys say they play females in MMORPGs is because they'd rather look at a girls butt than a guy. I do not know about you but I'm too busy looking around at what might shoot said butt off to be looking AT it. LOL. So I do not have any problems. Besides, I find the morons who would hit on a bunch of pixels in a game creepy
The hunter has found peace and the Force in the shadows

Eternalnight
03.30.2013 , 11:25 AM | #34
The overwhelming majority of male gamers play mostly or only female characters.
The overwhelming majority of female characters in the game are played by male gamers.

Female gamers playing male characters on the other hand, is much more rare. I have never seen one.

FelixGoldenHeart
03.30.2013 , 11:36 AM | #35
There's no reason to be judgemental of anyone's lifestyle. I certainly am not perfect and neither is anyone else. I have 11 characters, 7 Female and 4 Male. I chose them for various reasons, mainly the romancable companions; but I've never received any kind of negative anything towards any character regarding gender. The only thing I hear is people letting loose a death cry when they fall in pvp.

Skodan
03.30.2013 , 11:41 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
Female gamers playing male characters on the other hand, is much more rare. I have never seen one.
i have a guildie who is female and i dont think she has even one character.

i play female characters because people seem to be nicer to female characters in general.

i remember in swg as an entertainer i would earn quadruple the amount of tips as a female entertainer than a male one
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

Stressfire
03.30.2013 , 12:36 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Huez View Post
I pretend everyone is a dude lol
Yup!

I play a female IA - I do not do the dancer girl outfits, just not my thing. Trench coat or jacket.
Make no secret that I am male - but for the most part no one asks and I don't get Fleet-stalked at all.
Only real difference I have noticed is that other players are much more forgiving of "bonehead moments" in FP runs with a female toon

If you really find yourself getting harassed and it's not to the extent that you can report - do what I did with my Twi'lek Entertainer in SWG and invite them to voice-chat/Mumble/Vent/whatever and greet them with your best "Michael Clark Duncan goes to prison" impersonation - trust me, it works No need to ignore, they will never bother you again

Tatile
03.30.2013 , 12:49 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
The overwhelming majority of male gamers play mostly or only female characters.
The overwhelming majority of female characters in the game are played by male gamers.

My main is male and, while I have not experienced much sexism or misogyny directed towards myself (there's been one incident), I'm not exactly shouting it to the world and am apprehensive when my guild takes PUGs into TeamSpeak.

It's far more likely that your "rare" woman-playing-male-characters is simply because no one has come and said "Yes, I am a lady" out of fear of harassment.

Stressfire
03.30.2013 , 12:52 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Kerensk View Post
Once I had a guy start bugging me because my female character was in a dancing girl outfit, he kept saying I looked hot and how it was distracting for him.

It wasn't even an RP server either. Some people really need to spend some time away from the game...
It's only a "warning sign" when you keep trying to convince your RL girlfriend to paint herself blue, wear red contacts, and speak with an English accent.

Personally, if male wants to RP a female toon, I really don't care and don't judge. The "creepy" factor is minimal, as there is 0% chance that I will be getting into any sort of adult-type situations in a damn game

mrnnj
04.01.2013 , 01:30 PM | #40
I coin flip mostly. I have male toons in my MMOs and female toons. When I admit to this fact, I usually get "***" faces from people until they hear the reason I play female toons, especially on story arcs I am already familiar with... I play an average of 3 hours in a sitting of an MMO. 3 hours of watching a woman's backside running is a little more appealing to me than a hulking man's. Sorry if I come off sexist and objectifying, that's just the truth of it. Now, I am an RPer. Cut my teeth gaming on AD&D back in the day and my podcasting chops on "Essence of RP" on WoW Radio. So I mix it up in SWTOR more than I ever did in WoW so that my Sith Inquisitor can marry my Jedi Knight and have a Smuggler son who is pursued by a Bounty Hunter in the employ of the Sith Warrior apprentice of the Inquisitor and is also working for Imperial Intelligence doing some counter intellegance against a Trooper with One Man Army Syndrome. *deep breath* I think that's the story I am using for the Black Legacy...
Knight Officer of the Order of the Silver Dragons
Chief Operating Officer: Mid-Atlantic, TauRadio