Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee
03.13.2013 , 11:12 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by BubbleDncr View Post
Well the gear disparity is comforting. Hopefully I'll get closer numbers to yours with more practice. Keeping track of when everything is off cooldown and need to be refreshed is a lot trickier now than on live is seems.
Are you using PP as a timer for your other 2 DoTs? If you always use IP and CD after PP, then the only DoT you need to watch out for is PP every 18 seconds. Once your PP comes back up, refresh IP and CD immediately, but consider delaying IP and CD if SoS and Covered Escape becomes available.
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records

paowee
03.20.2013 , 01:20 PM | #22
Here are some raid parses as Full Engineering:

http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/3 Operator
  • Adds / mechanics: The small silver adds are easy to dispatch using only your single target rotation. The same can be said for the bigger gold adds with or without your dodge roll.
  • Covered Escape: ✔ Your dodge roll will "work wonders" on the cores. If you roll directly in front of the cores, you will roll a few feet forward as you hit the wall thus letting all 5 scatter bombs hit the core's hit box.
  • Boss hit circle / hit box: ✔ Operator is huge. The width of this boss is big enough so that it covers the entire 18m length of your roll.

Covered Escape = exceptional during Cores phase and Boss Phase

http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/10 Kephess
  • Adds / mechanics: Your single target rotation works just fine when you are on add duty. It is easy to get most of your hard hitting abilities every "burn phase" of this boss. Make sure you save EP, PP and SoS and spam snipe a lot especially when you know you have double AP available in the next few seconds. (AP + EMP DISCHARGE + AP again).
  • Boss hit circle / hit box: Kephess is a bit small. You may only be able to get 1-2 Scatter Bombs off on him. I haven't tried Hybrid or Marks for this boss but so far I think the spec is viable and does more than enough DPS. I certainly didnt felt like I was getting carried in this boss fight.

http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/13 TFB
  • Adds / mechanics: Phase 1 tentacles have huge hit circles. Plenty of room to maneuver but just make sure you reposition yourself asap unless you want to get slammed. Did not encounter any problems being on add duty or on tentacle duty.
  • Covered Escape: Phase 2. Covered Escape DOES NOT drop you off the platform but "jumps" you into another platform instead. I found that at most 2 bombs will hit the tentacle on the platform. Note that the bombs you drop while "flying" in mid air will hit Terror From Beyond itself but with reduced damage (iirc). During the tantrum phase, doing Covered Escape + EMP Discharge + Covered Escape while panning your camera up towards the boss and you will see a huge clump of damage from your scatter bombs.
  • Notes: I felt that Phase 1 and Tantrum Phase will be your strongest areas, and your DPS lowering slightly during Phase 2 due to Covered Escape rolling you out of your main platform. When this happens, at most 2 bombs will hit the tentacle and then other 3 bombs will hit TFB but with reduced damage. Your DoTs will also not do any damage until you get back on the platform you are DPSing the tentacle at.

Covered Escape = good for Phase 1 and Tantrum Phase

SalBasss
03.21.2013 , 11:59 AM | #23
How are those parses looking against other classes?

I mean, the 1800 operator parse looks pretty good, but I guess with the new gear and abilities and everything I'm not sure what the other classes were doing, comparatively.

Thanks again for putting this together... a great thread!

Edit: Also, should I be putting in Covered Escape and OS in between Snipes? I haven't quite figured out when to do that yet.
Shadowlands

paowee
03.21.2013 , 01:05 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by SalBasss View Post
How are those parses looking against other classes?

I mean, the 1800 operator parse looks pretty good, but I guess with the new gear and abilities and everything I'm not sure what the other classes were doing, comparatively.

Thanks again for putting this together... a great thread!
Np!

For Operator IX
In the same run:
  • Guardian (Vengeance spec) 1825 http://www.torparse.com/a/148857/26/0/Overview
  • Engineering Sniper 1824 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/162518/3
  • Marauder 1726 DPS http://www.torparse.com/a/162508/19/0/Overview
  • It is worth nothing that this parse, http://www.torparse.com/a/151934/26 which is sitting at 2000 DPS for as Marksman Sniper made impressive use of AoE by having stacked up adds get hit by Orbital Strike. By comparison though, without the huge DPS ramp up with 3 ticks of Orbital Strike hitting 4 adds, I believe Engineering is more than viable and will definitely compete with Marksman.

Spoiler

For Kephess
It may be worth going Lethality or Marks for this fight since Kephess isn't big enough to get hit by 5 Scatter Bombs as Full Engineering.

1 Gorbandi----------3732.78 DPS----------Time 279.75s - Marauder
2 Stingrysam------3680.89 DPS----------Time 336.86s - PT
Spoiler
3 Akopra-------------3668.18 DPS----------Time 316.73s - Hybrid Sniper
4 B'oardertwo--------3542.92 DPS----------Time 207.7s - Engineering Sniper
Spoiler

Terror From Beyond
Note that all 3 Marauders used the Void Disturbance buff from Phase 1 (which is a huge DPS increase).
Spoiler
Also it is worth noting that although Gorband took the Void disturbance in P1, he was put on anomaly duty in P2. I haven't done anomalies so I am not sure if they spawn faster or slower in 2.0 TFB.

1 Gorbandi----------1975.6 DPS----------Time 735.36s - MARAUDER (with void disturbance)
2 B'oardertwo----------1806.29 DPS----------Time 735.35s - Engineering SNIPER
3 Deathstrider----------1796.11 DPS----------Time 765.35s - MARAUDER (with void disturbance)
4 Fatal-threat----------1697.98 DPS----------Time 745.86s - MARAUDER (with void disturbance)

SalBasss
03.21.2013 , 01:18 PM | #25
That helps - thanks. For Kephess, the amazing thing is Akopra's parse is on live. I am assuming the others are on 2.0, but I can't tell for sure (though I suspect Gorbandi is since he was in your run).

Also, I bet you were responding when I edited this in, but: should I be putting in Covered Escape and OS in between Snipes (your "purple windows")? I haven't quite figured out when to do that yet.
Shadowlands

paowee
03.21.2013 , 01:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by SalBasss View Post
That helps - thanks. For Kephess, the amazing thing is Akopra's parse is on live. I am assuming the others are on 2.0, but I can't tell for sure (though I suspect Gorbandi is since he was in your run).
For Kephess yes Gorband and I were at 2.0 PTS server.

Quote:
Also, I bet you were responding when I edited this in, but: should I be putting in Covered Escape and OS in between Snipes (your "purple windows")? I haven't quite figured out when to do that yet.
Covered Escape should be prioritized over anything else. Delay your DoTs or Snipes in order to use Covered Escape
on cooldown. But at least finish chanelling SoS since it's your 2nd highest damage ability

paowee
03.21.2013 , 01:35 PM | #27
Now that you mentioned, you can sort of use Covered Escape on the "purple windows" as well. It is possible to "cast" your instant DoTs while rolling if you notice. PP may be harder to pull off since it is ground targeted but it is possible.

paowee
03.26.2013 , 04:22 PM | #28
[delete]

paowee
03.27.2013 , 01:03 AM | #29
Added a diagram of the hit circles for various encounters as Full Engineering. The boxes in gray are mostly humanoid bosses who are too small for Scatter Bombs to be effective. http://imgur.com/a/dPFrD

Added "Snapshot guide:"
Added a short write-up on Offensive Cooldowns, Orbital Strike, Target Acquired, Variations, and Hit Box.

paowee
03.27.2013 , 12:42 PM | #30