PVE AoE Sniper: The Explosive Engineer [Video]

paowee

That helps - thanks. For Kephess, the amazing thing is Akopra's parse is on live. I am assuming the others are on 2.0, but I can't tell for sure (though I suspect Gorbandi is since he was in your run).
For Kephess yes Gorband and I were at 2.0 PTS server.

Also, I bet you were responding when I edited this in, but: should I be putting in Covered Escape and OS in between Snipes (your "purple windows")? I haven't quite figured out when to do that yet.

Covered Escape should be prioritized over anything else. Delay your DoTs or Snipes in order to use Covered Escape

on cooldown. But at least finish chanelling SoS since it's your 2nd highest damage ability :)

Edited by paowee

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that you mentioned, you can sort of use Covered Escape on the "purple windows" as well. It is possible to "cast" your instant DoTs while rolling if you notice. PP may be harder to pull off since it is ground targeted but it is possible. Edited by paowee

Added a diagram of the hit circles for various encounters as Full Engineering. The boxes in gray are mostly humanoid bosses who are too small for Scatter Bombs to be effective. http://imgur.com/a/dPFrD

Added "Snapshot guide:"

Added a short write-up on Offensive Cooldowns, Orbital Strike, Target Acquired, Variations, and Hit Box.

Edited by paowee

I'd wait till 2.0 launches for the sticky lol, but yeah engi sniper is awesome

Oh and I figured out why my parses always suck, I'm a leggy bastard and it seems in combat my game cat break 15 fps :(

Since SoS has a 10.5 cd (according to OP) and electrified rails are 6 sec long and the channel for SoS is 3 sec long, don't you only want to use snipe only once in between SoS's? It seems like you could put an ambush in there at some point.

Also something to consider: try using calculated overload shots with cluster bombs, great way to get energy back and maintain most of your DPS.

Engineer has been my favorite spec and i'd LOVE for raids with less movement (curse you TfB!) since OS and PP (unless changed recently) made up 25%+ of your DPS (on live) and they're not able to moved :(

It's true that eng have gone from not at all viable in PvE to being alright and also very useful in fight with massive AoE, however I wouldn't say that it is on pair with neither full mm, full leth nor hybrid even on 2.0 It has become better and hurts more then before, but it's not something that will be used by snipers/gunslingers when doing progressing or really hard content.

Engineer has been viable and i've done as much damage with it than as a marksman and considering the people on my server there's alot more lethality and MM than there are engineers. My parses (from back in September) don't lie, 1700-1850 DPS (dummy) is pretty good for the spec, actually i still get that now but my gear wasn't made with engineer in mind.

Since SoS has a 10.5 cd (according to OP) and electrified rails are 6 sec long and the channel for SoS is 3 sec long, don't you only want to use snipe only once in between SoS's? It seems like you could put an ambush in there at some point.

Yes that's how the opener goes as you can see here http://i.imgur.com/AFQlYx9.jpg. I did not put a set rotation for engineering but instead showed the pattern http://i.imgur.com/RyqUcmp.jpg, where you use either Snipe / SoS (whichever one is available) and that includes Overload Shot when you need to me mobile.

Also something to consider: try using calculated overload shots with cluster bombs, great way to get energy back and maintain most of your DPS.

Is indeed a good way to get energy back, but i found i never had energy problems as full engineering due to AP, EMP, Cluster Bombs and the low energy costs of abilities. Just to add to your comment, when you have the choice between Rifle Shot and the free Overload Shot, use Overload Shot, it is better DPS and refreshes your ER DoT!

On Ambush,

More testing is needed to see if the uptime of Electrified Railgun is worth lowering to cast Ambush on CD. My guesstimate is that it is. But for the purpose of this guide, which focuses on trying to give your DoTs 100% uptime, I have not included it in the single target rotation.

I would personally use it on cooldown and squeeze it as one of the "purple abilities" in the pattern http://i.imgur.com/RyqUcmp.jpg.

Edited by paowee

If you want to use a rotation with Ambush, this maybe a good time to squeeze it in:

0:32 seconds into the fight, when all DoTs are up, everything is on coodlwon, and armor pen debuff does not need refreshing.

Edited by paowee

Updated the OP:

There is another rotation which is basically the same thing posted here but with Ambush on CD. I will leave that to the player to experiment and try out which one suits his/her playstyle the most: do you want to be more DoT oriented and mobile (rotation in this thread) or do you want to turret a bit more and cast Ambush? (rotation in this thread + Ambush on CD). See [jumpto=6]PART 6: Variations[/jumpto] for more info.

"NOTE: The single target rotation posted in the OP is an AMBUSH-less rotation used to get yourself familiar with the flow of Full Engineering. A rotation with more DPS is going to be one with Ambush used on cooldown and placed as part of the PURPLE abilities shown in the video. Ambush will take up TWO SPOTS OF PURPLE ABILITIES (seen in

of the video guide) because it takes ~2.5 seconds to cast. Since Electrified Railgun (3x stacks) needs to be refreshed every 2 GCDs or ~3 seconds, you will have to use a Snipe or preferably a SoS after using Ambush to refresh the DoT."

On single target rotation - Use Ambush on CD. Include Ambush in your "single target rotation" at the possible cost of lowering the uptime of your DoTs.

On talent trees - Swap points from Lethality (2/2 Alacrity talent) to Marksmanship for 2/2 Precision Ambush which makes your Ambush ignore 10/20% of your target's armor. [/font]

Coming soon, April 16... video rotation of 2951 parse

MAX DPS Engineering rotation with Covered Escape, EMP Discharge and Orbital Strike

Edited by paowee

2.0 Patch notes are out. [link] No changes to Scatter Bombs so far :).

Imperial Agent

New Ability Highlights

Sniper: A new ability, Covered Escape, has been added. Covered Escape will roll players forward up to 18 meters, landing crouched in cover. While rolling, defense is greatly increased and any movement-impairing effects are broken. The ability has a 20 second cooldown and is trainable at level 51.

Sniper: A new passive ability, Spotter, has been added. Spotter increases stealth detection while in cover, building up to 30 additional levels of stealth detection over 30 seconds. The effect ends when leaving cover.

General

• Using cover while jumping will now issue an appropriate error message.
  • Explosive Probe now costs 25 Energy and deals slightly more damage.
  • Corrosive Dart now costs 16 Energy.
  • Evasion now removes all hostile removable effects without requiring Avoidance Training..
  • Headshot has been removed from the game.
  • Eviscerate has been removed from the game.
  • Energy regeneration rates will now display values rounded to two decimal places (e.g. x.xx).

Sniper

• A new ability, Covered Escape, has been added. Covered Escape will roll players forward up to 18 meters, landing crouched in cover. While rolling, defense is greatly increased and any movement-impairing effects are broken. The ability has a 20 second cooldown and is trainable at level 51.
  • A new passive ability, Spotter, has been added. Spotter increases stealth detection while in cover, building up to 30 additional levels of stealth detection over 30 seconds. The effect ends when leaving cover.
  • The armor reduction from Shatter Shot can no longer be cleansed.
  • Ballistic Shield no longer requires cover. The ability now lasts 20 seconds (up from 15), deploys at the player's current position, remaining there for the duration.

Marksmanship

• Sniper Volley now lasts 15 seconds.
  • Followthrough now costs 5 energy (down from 10) and deals slightly less damage as a result. Followthrough can now be triggered from a complete Series of Shots.

Engineering

• EMP Discharge has been redesigned. This ability no longer requires a target and now has a one minute and 15-second cooldown. Activating EMP discharge now finishes the cooldowns on Shield Probe, Adrenaline Probe, Covered Escape, and Entrench.
  • Interrogation Probe now costs 15 energy (down from 20) and does not have a cooldown, but only one Interrogation Probe can be active at a time.
  • Advanced Targeting now additionally increases the range of all ranged attacks by 5 meters.

Lethality (Sniper)

• Damage dealt by the weaker versions of Corrosive Dart or Corrosive Grenade which are created by Lingering Toxins will no longer break the target out of stealth.

Edited by paowee

I haven't had a chance yet to try this out on more of the fights in S&V, but I'm not gonna lie - this build was incredibly fun to play on Dash'roode as I was assigned to add duty. I blew those filthy womp rats sky-high. Mad slinger props yo!

Thanks for all your hard work on this guide, Paowee. :)

I have to say, I"ve really fallen in love with the Eng sniper in 2.0. I'm still working at being decent on a single target fight. I can do OK on training dummies, but I tend to get sloppy on keeping debuffs up and abilities on cooldown in real boss fights. i'll probably stick to Leth/Eng on a completely single target boss fight, especially one with a lot of movement, but when there's multiple mobs, Eng all the way.

I think this is good information for Engineering! I can confirm that during P2 of TFB last boss, rolling out of the platform when you are DPSing the tentacle will:

☑ 1st and 2nd bomb will hit the tentacle

☑ 3rd and 4th bomb will hit TFB for around 1500 (normal damage)

✓ 5th bomb MAY hit TFB for around 1500 (normal damage)

Screenshot coming soon...

Edited by paowee

Raid parses huge bosses:

2360 DPS Titan 6 - http://www.torparse.com/a/182975/3/0/Damage+Dealt My uptime is a bit low as you can see from the graph. Too many instances where I was sitting at 0 DPS (due to running out and making sure i dont die from the launch). Something to definitely improve on. Also if you look at the graph there are spikes of damage and these come from the orbital - roll - emp - roll combo. We did not stack the probes on the boss after launch. However i got to admit doing so would result in a massive orbital DPS fluffing aoe party.

2470 DPs Thrasher - http://www.torparse.com/a/182445/1 No AoE. just one big huge size boss. :)

I'm wearing 1 black market earpiece, 1 black market implant, 1 verpine implant, Exotech stims/adrenals and the rest 63 DG gear. Had to swap mods around and make sure I have all acc/power mods and this let me hit ~99% Acc

Others;

Bonetrasher in KP >_> - http://www.torparse.com/a/182746/2/0/Overview

Edited by paowee

:p

I love your updated guide mang. It's too bad you also helped out those dirty Gunslingers though. ;)

Sadly, I've found our forums are not as active as these ones. It appears this is where the party is at. :p

Is the crit chance with or without the agent buff?

Not sure! >_< Although now with some new gear i'm sitting at around 25% Crit chance with the agent buff and nano-infused stim. still using 22 augments. I'm just stacking power now over crit when i can. I did a quick test of power vs crit using the reusable nano-infused adrenals. I looked at where the DPS peaked in MOX for Scatter bomb + EMP + Scatter bomb burst DPS.

I waited for the adrenals to come off cooldown so lol these tests took quite a while >_<

With crit adrenal, 35% Crit 4200, 4811, 4342, 5000, 5100

With power adrenal, 25% Crit (my normal crit chance). 4084, 5310, 6001, 5704, 5690

Idk if this is a "good test" (never really been great at math lol). Take the numbers as you will but what this told me was:

- 35% crit and you suffer too much DR

- Power adrenal > Crit adrenal

- If i can absolutely prevent it, i'll stick with as less crit as i can (but not too low ofc, maybe 22-25% (?) and then stack power after i'm accuracy capped. Idk how alacrity factors into all this, hoping some math geniuses can shed some light on it!

Edited by paowee

From another thread: Summary --- Engineering not performing as i expected in Writhing Horror lol

I think the Writhing Horror is really set up for the hybrid build. It has all of the qualities that makes the hybrid build great; Lots of AOE opportunities, Multi-dotting, and no single-target switching to weaker mobs. That thing burrows so far away so having all of your abilities at 35 meters is a huge advantage. I can pretty much stay in cover the whole time and move only for yellow circle placement and red pools.

Yea i think i found that out last night. Apparently he is only medium size boss... I always see 2 bombs drop outside his hit box >_>. That and our sin tank vanishes the debuff so the adds didnt spawn. And also i was put on jealous male duty that means no rolling through the boss = less DPS. TFB last boss on the other hand ive been getting good results using the AoE engineering spec.

http://www.torparse.com/a/183930/52/0/Overview 1910 DPS

I DID get one void disturbance tho. lol. This isn't a good parse because I messed up in P2 and was hitting the boss itself enough times for me to notice a DPS drop. Since plasma probe is a ground targeted i do not notice that after laying it down i click and go through 2-3 rotations (20-40 seconds) and THEN noticed i had the boss targeted >__>. Tabbing at that angle is a pain and sometimes left clicking doesnt work too. for me at least.

Also i havent tried Hybrid on this boss so i can't compare the 2 specs

Edited by paowee

From another thread: Summary --- Engineering not performing as i expected in Writhing Horror lol

Yea i think i found that out last night. Apparently he is only medium size boss... I always see 2 bombs drop outside his hit box >_>. That and our sin tank vanishes the debuff so the adds didnt spawn. And also i was put on jealous male duty that means no rolling through the boss = less DPS. TFB last boss on the other hand ive been getting good results using the AoE engineering spec.

http://www.torparse.com/a/183930/52/0/Overview 1910 DPS

I DID get one void disturbance tho. lol. This isn't a good parse because I messed up in P2 and was hitting the boss itself enough times for me to notice a DPS drop. Since plasma probe is a ground targeted i do not notice that after laying it down i click and go through 2-3 rotations (20-40 seconds) and THEN noticed i had the boss targeted >__>. Tabbing at that angle is a pain and sometimes left clicking doesnt work too. for me at least.

Also i havent tried Hybrid on this boss so i can't compare the 2 specs

The hybrid is very annoying on the Terror, because killing the irregularities is a pain. Its still viable, but I think Marksman would be best for that fight.