Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lord Tarnis, I NEED HELP!!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Knight
Lord Tarnis, I NEED HELP!!!

Sarlegant
02.28.2013 , 10:18 AM | #21
actually Kira is already geared better than T7, and takes the hits as well, and gives the hits better... especially at the Op's level 16. She just got her gear, T7 is still in his Typhon gear.

I may be wrong, but the taunts aggro only lasts 6 seconds... either way, Kira usually gets the aggro back quick enough, at least till I start unloading...

I learned in WoW, dead dps does no dps... T7 or Kira dead generally means I'm soon to follow. Until I get Doc, I don't want aggro I can't get away from.

Alucardess
02.28.2013 , 10:36 AM | #22
I don't remember having much trouble as a Sentinel when I fought Tarnis.

If you're going Shien, I'd let Kira go first while you dps on the side, then try to kill him before he kills you.
If you go Soresu, I'd immediately aggro, then pop your defensive skills to give Kira as much time as possible. Then if you get low, let Kira take the aggro and wait for him to kill her while you dps Tarnis.

Then again, I haven't played my Guardian in a while.

Draqsko
02.28.2013 , 01:25 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarlegant View Post
actually Kira is already geared better than T7, and takes the hits as well, and gives the hits better... especially at the Op's level 16. She just got her gear, T7 is still in his Typhon gear.

I may be wrong, but the taunts aggro only lasts 6 seconds... either way, Kira usually gets the aggro back quick enough, at least till I start unloading...

I learned in WoW, dead dps does no dps... T7 or Kira dead generally means I'm soon to follow. Until I get Doc, I don't want aggro I can't get away from.
You get gear for T7 from quest rewards on Coruscant. So he could be equally as geared as Kira, be heavy armor with shield generator. Also, taunt last 6 second but moves you up to 130% of the threat of the highest person on the aggro table. Let's give an example, not counting high threat moves, T7 in shield stance, you in DPS stance.
Say T7 has dealt out 400 damage in the fight, and you've done 1000 damage in the fight, his threat is 800, your threat is 1000, you have aggro.
T7 taunts, forcing an attack for 6 second but also moving him up the aggro table to 130% of the top threat, his threat is 1300, he has aggro.
So let's assume the damage ratio stays at 4/10. By the time you've done 1000 damage, he's done 400 damage, meaning his threat is now 2100, while your threat is 2000, he still has aggro.

The only way Kira can pull off you after you taunt, is if she outdamages you, that usually means either your gear is weaker than hers, or you stop attacking. Example
Kira does 1000 damage, you do 1000 damage (not likely given that players do more DPS than companions, but for argument's sake). Kira's threat is 1000, your threat is 1000 but she started the fight so she has aggro.
You taunt, now your threat is 1300. Now Kira has to do 300 more damage than you to pull aggro off you. But since she is DPSing about the same rate as you, she never can pull ahead unless you stop attacking (or have really weak DPS).

Aggro trading is far easier with T7 than with Kira, generally once Kira loses aggro, she'll never be able to pull it back unless you aren't hitting the target. T7 can also get aggro by taunting, and if you are DPS, he'll rarely lose it unless you taunt back. This makes aggro trading very much controlable tactic. In fact, it's one of the reasons I hardly ever used T7 after getting Kira as a tank/DPS hybrid while 2manning heroics and flashpoints. It was far easier for the healer to keep me healed than my companion, and T7 is a little bleeping aggro hog. Often times he'd taunt off me, start getting smoked by mobs, meanwhile my AOE taunt is on cool cause I just burned it 6s before he taunted..

SleepyJoeFriday
03.01.2013 , 04:23 AM | #24
Do yo have a ship yet?
If you have then use the ship droid for healing and tank Lord Tarnis. A couple of cheap upgrades helps his healing abilities no end.

Draqsko
03.01.2013 , 07:36 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by SleepyJoeFriday View Post
Do yo have a ship yet?
If you have then use the ship droid for healing and tank Lord Tarnis. A couple of cheap upgrades helps his healing abilities no end.
You can't get a ship until after you beat Tarnis.

CherieNB
03.14.2013 , 11:51 AM | #26
Hey all, thanks for all the suggestions, I finally beat Tarnis this morning. LVL 18, and contrary to many suggestions here, beat him by going in myself first and letting Kira fend for herself. I spent about a week with one of my other knights on a different server and really concentrated on making sure I understood the skills and how to use them.

From someone who has never gamed before, there is a lot to learn that is so arcane that I don't know I even need to learn it. I've been doing this for 15 months now (albeit with a hiatus when I got too frustrated) and I'm still just picking up stuff that most of you probably take for granted. I think I was at level 8 on my first toon before I learned that I needed to update my abilities every time I leveled. I feel like I need a gaming tutor to play with!

Fallerup
03.14.2013 , 12:06 PM | #27
I found Tarnis easy, I just nuked him down, the trick is to have him focus kira until she is almost dead, then taunt off her. As sentinel, you let her die and then finish him.

I found other bosses way harder, like
Spoiler
. the first has a nasty knockback and does huge damage, the other just does tons of damage, I did the planet after him before I did him and then back to the planet to get my companion and story done.
Gagota Class: Arsenal Mercenary
Member Of
Dark Brotherhood
Server: Tomb Of Freedon nadd EU

Woebearer
03.15.2013 , 04:22 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Fallerup View Post
I found other bosses way harder, like
Spoiler
. the first has a nasty knockback and does huge damage, the other just does tons of damage, I did the planet after him before I did him and then back to the planet to get my companion and story done.
By the time you fight these two (lvl30+) you have 4(5) Skills that stun or stops casting (Guard), the first didn´t even hit me once and Angral was able to cast his Lightning only one time. On none of the mentioned Bossfight i thought about letting Kira get the first hits.

Kokkomo
06.20.2013 , 06:14 AM | #29
I have a problem. I cant beat Lord Tarnis in no way.
I am a Jedi Guardian but My level is very low, 12.
Believe not know how this happened

What should I do ? Should I make some side quests for level 13 or 14 ?
Should I win some gears, armors, weapons ?

Thanks for your help !
RESIST !

Scriffle
06.22.2013 , 07:31 AM | #30
You should do a lot of sidequests mate. Make sure you are 17-18 for Tarnis.

You can also grind esseles or warzones for levelling up.
- Koré -Operative on Tomb Of Freedonn Nadd
Unavailable
Get free cartel market unlocks and a free character transfer! Click!