Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerer Question - Lightsaber

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sith Inquisitor > Sorcerer
Sorcerer Question - Lightsaber

LordValnor
03.13.2013 , 06:07 AM | #1
Why do Sorcerers have a lightsaber if they never use it? lol

I watched a few videos of SI Sorcerer gameplay. Awesome looking skills, but I never saw anyone single the lightsaber in the hand. I would love to use lightning and have some melee, is that possible with the sorcerer? I can not stand the double bladed lightsaber of the assassin, so I am hoping for an alternative.

drezor
03.13.2013 , 08:08 AM | #2
If you search the Sorcerer forums, you will find our Lightsabers are nothing more than a "stat stick" and only used to humilate others every once in awhile.

ExpectWar
03.13.2013 , 09:25 PM | #3
Stat stick
Bobbybimbo - The Bastion

Ghost_Spectre
03.14.2013 , 01:32 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by drezor View Post
If you search the Sorcerer forums, you will find our Lightsabers are nothing more than a "stat stick" and only used to humilate others every once in awhile.
Quite right. I did; however, use mine on a Sentinel in a normal WZ after I hit him with Electrocute and he was down to a few hundred hit points. It was tremendously funny to smack a glow stick warrior with our glorified glow stick. Heck, I'll use it on Sages too when I'm up close and personal. You never know when the added dps will come in handy! lol
Azumi Veng Juggernaut Magnaus Juggernaut Tank Demonicus Healing Sorceress
Tempest TK Sage Requiem Guardian Tank Sei-Cair Gunnery Commando
Starchild Legacy Jedi Convenant Guilds Light/Dark Holiday

Flintfire
03.20.2013 , 04:40 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost_Spectre View Post
Quite right. I did; however, use mine on a Sentinel in a normal WZ after I hit him with Electrocute and he was down to a few hundred hit points. It was tremendously funny to smack a glow stick warrior with our glorified glow stick. Heck, I'll use it on Sages too when I'm up close and personal. You never know when the added dps will come in handy! lol
Absolutely. When a close up enemy is low health from your force attacks, by all means use a lightsaber attack. Costs less than force, both are instant, and it is one of the most embarrasing things ever to be killed by a sorc/sage with a lightsaber attack. A quick thrash when at low health is a common finisher of mine. But never use at anything higher than low health unless you are pursuing them and need instant attacks.
Infyrno Lvl 55 Infyrnus Lvl 46
Leiptr Lvl 55 Venaticus Lvl 37
Krrayt Lvl 55
Sleipe Lvl 55

RebelWinds
03.20.2013 , 06:40 AM | #6
They're also good for getting through doors in cutscenes, apparently.

thebumpkin
03.20.2013 , 03:42 PM | #7
I think that the lightsaber is very handy as a support weapon, your main weapon is the Dark Side of the Force:

1. Enemies that close in on you and attack up close and personal, a few swipes of the lightsaber will leave them stinging and what few lightsaber attacks a Sorceror has, are not that shabby.

2. If you gear out for the defence aspect to provide some protection if you over-aggro then you use the lightsaber to deflect attacks which looks cool.

3. Imagine NOT having any sort of melee weapon? The Lightsaber is just part of the overall Sith Package.

AdmiralParmesan
03.20.2013 , 05:43 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by thebumpkin View Post
I think that the lightsaber is very handy as a support weapon, your main weapon is the Dark Side of the Force:

1. Enemies that close in on you and attack up close and personal, a few swipes of the lightsaber will leave them stinging and what few lightsaber attacks a Sorceror has, are not that shabby.

2. If you gear out for the defence aspect to provide some protection if you over-aggro then you use the lightsaber to deflect attacks which looks cool.

3. Imagine NOT having any sort of melee weapon? The Lightsaber is just part of the overall Sith Package.
LOL if you are talking about the animation from the lightsaber, yeah its not that shabby. The fact is sorcs/sages have the only melee attacks that don't benefit from main stat. The attacks simply don't hit hard at all and aren't even comparable with an auto attack, not to mention they can miss and be deflected.

Honestly as for mentioned they only server the purpose of humiliating bad players in pvp, but you need to get them to around 500 health in order to kill them.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

AdmiralParmesan
03.20.2013 , 05:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ghost_Spectre View Post
Its not really added dps unless force slow, shock, wrath proc, overload, instant chain lightning, and creeping terror and even force lightning. Each of these moves do more damage than saber strike or trash and instantly.
Depreva (Sith Sorcerer) - Prophecy of the Five-

Catenatus
03.22.2013 , 11:56 AM | #10
A lightsaber is more of a "status" symbol in the Sith Empire hierarchy. Mainly meaning "I am better than any of you, worms".
Primus Nova
The Red Eclipse