Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

[Suggestion] No-one likes ninja looting


SerPounceaLot's Avatar


SerPounceaLot
03.12.2013 , 04:12 PM | #71
Seems to me we should rename this thread "No-one likes the Loot System for Groups"?

I have to say, as a relative newcomer to MMO type games but a veteran of many other dungeon crawl loot-em-ups I first learnt the term "loot ninja" the hard way: in SWTOR by being accused of it myself! At the time it was a genuine mistake, i was still learning the rules of what kit I needed, let alone what "need" or "greed" was. I have to say, getting kicked from a group when I was so new to a game was a tough way to learn and that kind of reaction put me off grouping for MONTHS and nearly off the game altogether. All you guys getting an annoyed about "ninjas" need to remember we all gotta learn somewhere. I've had some better experiences since, and tbh I take the Easy Come Easy Go approach to all in this game now; there'll always be something better along in a minute. If I get no loot, so be it. Happens in single player too sometimes.

My solutions:

1) Drop the buttons, the system allocates loot and gives the best to those who contribute most to a kill - thou for a Healer some credit for actually healing too! Nothing for players to grief about now...

2) New Player / Tutorial Group Content: we haven't all spent 15 years doing MMOs. Got to learn somewhere. In SWTOR its bad enough in Heroics. The idea of a Level 50 Operation scares me to death, even after having got one character to that level. I get the impression non-experts = not welcome?

Zephury's Avatar


Zephury
03.12.2013 , 06:44 PM | #72
It will never happen. Some players don't necessarily use just their main stats. It depends how you use your character. I could see you not being able to pick up heavy armors if you only can wear mediums.. but that's about it. Even for jedis to pick up blasters.. Because they can get the mods from them. Some of them need some aim or whatever the stat is.

Eternalnight's Avatar


Eternalnight
03.12.2013 , 07:18 PM | #73
And the dumbest comment of the year award goes to:
Quote: Originally Posted by Zephury View Post
It will never happen. Some players don't necessarily use just their main stats. It depends how you use your character. I could see you not being able to pick up heavy armors if you only can wear mediums.. but that's about it. Even for jedis to pick up blasters.. Because they can get the mods from them. Some of them need some aim or whatever the stat is.

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
03.13.2013 , 02:02 AM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Zephury View Post
It will never happen. Some players don't necessarily use just their main stats. It depends how you use your character. I could see you not being able to pick up heavy armors if you only can wear mediums.. but that's about it. Even for jedis to pick up blasters.. Because they can get the mods from them. Some of them need some aim or whatever the stat is.
I will be nice and not say what I think of your post, I do advise you though to read up regarding how items and stats work with characters.

What you write really, really proves my point in having a common sense lootsystem where the right items end up in the right hands. Players not knowing how the game works is one of the reasons

Auelin's Avatar


Auelin
03.13.2013 , 03:44 AM | #75
I can see a certain amount of merit in your suggestion, however I still disagree. Taking away my ability to need an item simply because it falls outside my main stats would frustrate me.

I primarily play with a group of friend plus one person found through group finder, and having the option to ask in general chat 'anyone mind if I need this for my comp' and being able to need after receiving the ok makes my life much easier than attempting to contact a group member after a roll has been won.

Instead I would like to second the notion of a 'companion' button, and ask that hover descriptions be added when you pass over each option. (E.g. Need: Press for items that will upgrade your character, 2. Greed: Select for items that have useful components or if required for a companion, Disassemble: Select to dismantle an item and revive components, perhaps a tip could be added down the bottom too? Something like: Tip ask in general chat to need an item for your companion, if the group agrees proceed) something like this would take away the oh so convenient 'I didn't understand what the buttons meant' and help the new guys who have no idea what this system means.

Ill also mention that I disagree with loot being awarded on damage done simply because this would favour the DPS beyond reason, and leave the tank (who draws the most fire, but in trade off does smaller amounts of damage) with little chance of gaining loot. Also the main reason people want loot? To upgrade there gear to do better damage, shielding healing etc :P

N'way that's just my thoughts on the subject.

Avorniel's Avatar


Avorniel
03.13.2013 , 04:54 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Auelin View Post
Ill also mention that I disagree with loot being awarded on damage done simply because this would favour the DPS beyond reason, and leave the tank (who draws the most fire, but in trade off does smaller amounts of damage) with little chance of gaining loot. Also the main reason people want loot? To upgrade there gear to do better damage, shielding healing etc :P

Have to agree here my main is a healer and will only tickle mobs with her dps if she has time,so going on the damage idea she would get zero loot.

You know I don't really think there would be any way to sort this issue out unless BW decide to rewrite the hard core of the loot system and each player gets there own loot and no one sees it or can loot it,similar to GW2 but that would be a major overhaul of the whole game and cost prob as much when the game was created lol.

Only thing I can think of and I hate doing it at the moment is say before we even start no needing for companions unless no one wants it and no need on items you can't use unless asked first,make sure I get an agreement from all parties and away we go if not I leave the group or vote kick player I just have had enough of it ruining my enjoyment which I pay for ,problem with this is players not understanding or have a good understanding of English
I sense a great disturbance in the Force... it's as if a million hamsters suddenly cried out in terror... and suddenly fell silent. Ref:- Raji_Lev

w_i_k_i_d's Avatar


w_i_k_i_d
03.14.2013 , 02:02 PM | #77
There is no solution to this :P
Looters will loot and you can cry about it all you want... but here is an advise
Make GUILDs with ppl you know and trust

Do Heroics/ Flashpoints with you GUILD members
You are part of the same GUILD and looking out for each other

You take away the Need/Greed buttons and players will feel like they have no say/chance of wining anything good.. so they would stop playing Flashpoint/Heroics :P that much

That green/blue/purple/orange what ever drop... is worth more to someone then you can sell it for as Credits....if it is of no use to you.

Dont understand? .. ok leme try again

You are SAGE ( Willpower ) and the drop is Cunning ( Smuggler ) ... it may be an upgrade to Smuggler guy and if you loot it you can sell it for 200-300 creds... is it worth it ?

After all this is a MMO what comes around goes around :P
You do it to someone else ... same can happen to you

Icestar's Avatar


Icestar
03.14.2013 , 02:20 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by w_i_k_i_d View Post
There is no solution to this :P
There will never be a permanent solution for it but it sure can be improved. A common sense lootsystem works better then a anarcy one. I suggest you look how other MMOs handle lootdistribution, some has created a very successful system.

Quote: Originally Posted by w_i_k_i_d View Post
Looters will loot and you can cry about it all you want... but here is an advise
Make GUILDs with ppl you know and trust

Do Heroics/ Flashpoints with you GUILD members
You are part of the same GUILD and looking out for each other
It might work for some people but not all players has the luxury to be in one that can create level 10-50 groups 24/7.

Quote: Originally Posted by w_i_k_i_d View Post
You take away the Need/Greed buttons and players will feel like they have no say/chance of wining anything good.. so they would stop playing Flashpoint/Heroics :P that much
You think that a system that will help prevent ninjalooting will make players stop playing? I actually think it will be the opposite, more players would want to run flashpoints when less ninjas are around.

Quote: Originally Posted by w_i_k_i_d View Post
You do it to someone else ... same can happen to you
It happens anyways, I never use the need button on items I canīt use but still meet alot of players that ends up on my ignorelist

Zeghrem's Avatar


Zeghrem
03.14.2013 , 02:20 PM | #79
Should have 3 buttons

Need - only main stat classes can roll on the item.
Greed - Free roll for everyone
Companion - A small (visually) button that rates higher than greed but less than Need. Have this option smaller as most will ignore and hit greed anyways. If people really wanted it they can companion roll for it.

Honestly though as long as need is fixed it should be fine. Communication is not hard, "Hey can I have that for comp?," "Mind if I get that for mods?" God knows how many people ACTUALLY say something in a FP anyways. Maybe people might stop acting like NPC's.
pew pew

Falensawino's Avatar


Falensawino
03.14.2013 , 03:20 PM | #80
This guy was our JUGGANAUT
He was ANNOYING AND LOUD ALL GAME, WOULDNT STOP TYPING IN CAPS
AND TELLING EVERYONE TO SPACE BAR TO THE POINT where
where our healer quit. She didn't say a word, she just left.
*I assume it was her first time in the flashpoint and she wanted to hear the conversation*
BUT THIS GUY WOULD NOT LET GO. KEPT HARASSING HER TO SPACEBAR

This was a lv10 black talon Group Finder run.
I knew this guy was bad news after he spammed FOUR LINES IN ALL CAPS during the first TWO conversations in Black Talon flashpoint.
1. talking to the Lt. before she heads back to the bridge AND
2. the protocol droid summoned by Moff Kilran, used to communicate with you.

My instinct was to kick him (reason: calm down, take a chill pill.)
I will continue to describe what took place, and you'll see how badly I regretted not kicking him on instinct, back before he had a chance to waste our time and effort.

Surely, enough. When non-strength based loot finally dropped from a boss. He need rolled it.

He had the gall to ask, "why do you want this glove so bad?"
We stopped the fight, to explain him, how looting works. He moved ahead of the group, killed a few mobs, then died. Respawned, came back in time, to participate in the roll dropped by the bonus boss droid we killed. Yep, he need rolled a second +cunning based operative item.

So this guy was holding TWO "Operative's" prefix gear, and we threw a vote kick up, he said this "if you kick me, you're not getting your items."
He wanted to hold the item's hostage, to prevent us from kicking him from the flashpoint.

While we were voicing our rage, he again moved on ahead. This time he survived, was lucky enough and managed to loot a blue +Aim based bounty hunter item from a random (non-boss) enemy, outside of the range of the rest of the group. So he was the only who could loot it.

The other kick vote was still in place, and one of the two other players in the fp were sleeping on the vkick option.
So, the roll timer expired and he now had 3 items not intended for his class, all obtained by need roll.

Worst off, he made his own guild called VoD, made intentionally to impersonate VoiD, a legitimate guild on prophecy of the five.
The most wretched hive of troll and kiddies
Refer a Friend Link