Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Which healer?

RuQu
03.06.2013 , 07:28 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Turret implies "plant and cast", only effective when not moving. That describes Sorcs far more than Mercs. That's what bothers me about it - it gives people the wrong impression of the class.
Sages have an AoE that leaves a HoT effect in its area for quite a while. They can cast that and it will keep healing while they are on the move.

They have Force Armor to buy them time.

They have Healing Trance which is instant and applies a HoT.

They aren't exactly stationary.

Every class in this game is a "plant and cast" healer. The healing mechanics are not particularly diverse or complicated. Much as I prefer this game over WoW (or I could easily play it instead...), SWTOR doesn't even come close to WoW in terms of healer mechanics, which is remarkable considering that WoW was hardly an obscure title while SWTOR was in development. Case in point, there is no healer in SWTOR that can heal effectively while fully mobile like a WoW druid. There is no healer that can consume HoTs to increase the power of a nuke heal. There is no healer that heals through damage dealt. There is no smart healing. There are no healing wells or orbs a healer can pre-place and a player can pick up or walk over to get their own healing. There are no chain heals. There are no life funnels. There is no ability to let a "plant and cast" healer cast on the move for a short duration.

The mechanics are all "plant and cast." Every class could be called to a greater or lesser degree a "healing turret." Even Scoundrels, the most mobile healer in the game, cannot heal effectively using only instant abilities.

So, whether you like it or not, and regardless of whether or not it also applies to other classes, Commandos are absolutely a turret healer.
Brushing off the dust on my Assault Cannon. Time to get back in the fight.

JimmyTheCannon
03.06.2013 , 10:37 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
Sages have an AoE that leaves a HoT effect in its area for quite a while. They can cast that and it will keep healing while they are on the move.

They have Force Armor to buy them time.

They have Healing Trance which is instant and applies a HoT.

They aren't exactly stationary.

Every class in this game is a "plant and cast" healer. The healing mechanics are not particularly diverse or complicated. Much as I prefer this game over WoW (or I could easily play it instead...), SWTOR doesn't even come close to WoW in terms of healer mechanics, which is remarkable considering that WoW was hardly an obscure title while SWTOR was in development. Case in point, there is no healer in SWTOR that can heal effectively while fully mobile like a WoW druid. There is no healer that can consume HoTs to increase the power of a nuke heal. There is no healer that heals through damage dealt. There is no smart healing. There are no healing wells or orbs a healer can pre-place and a player can pick up or walk over to get their own healing. There are no chain heals. There are no life funnels. There is no ability to let a "plant and cast" healer cast on the move for a short duration.

The mechanics are all "plant and cast." Every class could be called to a greater or lesser degree a "healing turret." Even Scoundrels, the most mobile healer in the game, cannot heal effectively using only instant abilities.

So, whether you like it or not, and regardless of whether or not it also applies to other classes, Commandos are absolutely a turret healer.
Then call them all turret healers and be done with it. When you're comparing classes, and you call one a turret healer but not the other two, it implies that class is the least mobile.

RuQu
03.07.2013 , 05:27 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Then call them all turret healers and be done with it. When you're comparing classes, and you call one a turret healer but not the other two, it implies that class is the least mobile.
No.

I'm not sure why you seem to think that you are entitled to dictate to others how they describe the subjective feel of a class, but you might want to give that question some thought.

When discussing the numerical differences (max sustained HPS, AoE throughput, etc), there is an objective right answer and one person will be right and the other wrong.

When discussing issues like PvP viability, it becomes more subjective but strong cases can be made for the truth of one position over another.

When it comes to how a class feels to an individual, that is entirely subjective and independent of the opinions of others. It is not possible to be wrong. I am not wrong in feeling like a healing turret. You are not wrong in feeling mobile. You are wrong, so remarkably wrong, at thinking that your perception of the feel of a class is universal or superior to the perception of the class by anyone else.

JimmyTheCannon
03.07.2013 , 03:03 PM | #14
I'm not saying my perception is superior, and I apologize if it came off that way.

But you just said yourself "The mechanics are all "plant and cast." Every class could be called to a greater or lesser degree a "healing turret." Even Scoundrels, the most mobile healer in the game, cannot heal effectively using only instant abilities."

I'm not worried about *my* perception of the class. I'm worried about the perception you and others are giving to people who have never tried it before.

In all seriousness, putting aside that you and I have strong views on this, if you heard (in a game you'd never played before), "Healer A is a turret healer, healers B and C are not," aren't you going to assume Healer A is less mobile?

That's all I'm getting at.

RuQu
03.07.2013 , 03:08 PM | #15
And all I'm getting at is that, to me, I feel far more mobile on my other healers. That doesn't mean I like them more. I deleted the Sage at 33 and perhaps it would feel different at 50. It was so squishy it had to be, I'd often bubble and force sprint away from danger. In contrast, my Commando felt very durable and while leveling I would often "heal tank" mobs with a DPS pet. I didn't feel the need to move, so I didn't.

Obviously at end game you have to move for mechanics in Ops, but the encounters are designed around it. I haven't raided since I've been back, so my examples are old, but on Soa they gave plenty of time for Salvation on the platforms to counter the ability of Commandos and Scoundrels to AoE while running.

JimmyTheCannon
03.07.2013 , 04:01 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by RuQu View Post
And all I'm getting at is that, to me, I feel far more mobile on my other healers. That doesn't mean I like them more. I deleted the Sage at 33 and perhaps it would feel different at 50. It was so squishy it had to be, I'd often bubble and force sprint away from danger. In contrast, my Commando felt very durable and while leveling I would often "heal tank" mobs with a DPS pet. I didn't feel the need to move, so I didn't.

Obviously at end game you have to move for mechanics in Ops, but the encounters are designed around it. I haven't raided since I've been back, so my examples are old, but on Soa they gave plenty of time for Salvation on the platforms to counter the ability of Commandos and Scoundrels to AoE while running.
It's true that in most Ops you have plenty of time to stop and cast even on movement phases. I've never had an issue with that on *any* healer, and I've played all 3 at 50. Merc is my favorite, but that's due to preference of playstyle, not because I feel it's "better" for some reason.

The reason I have issue with that description of the class as a turret healer is because I see people talk about it in the sense of Operations and similar things, or in Warzones, etc. Leveling is an entirely different ballgame, and yes, you can feel like a turret there when playing a Merc, no matter what spec you're in.

At 50, in Ops, all 3 classes are mobile enough. The Sorc does still suffer the most in movement phases in raids as far as being able to heal on the move, but they make up for it by being able to Force Speed when they need to get to a spot quickly. There are no operations bosses currently in the game that *require* you to constantly heal on the move - at most you'll need to move for 3-4 GCDs and try to keep up heals, then you can plant and cast with any class. In *those* situations, in my experience, Operatives and Mercs are best suited to actively heal at those times. Operatives more than Mercs, because they don't need cooldowns to do so.