Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lyshar
03.05.2013 , 11:54 PM | #201
Quote: Originally Posted by DaRoamer View Post
What about the IP checks and secret answers they will need to log in to the account?
And that can't be combined with a secret login name?

It's still the removal of a layer of security, simple as that. No matter how you look at it, it's easier to hack accounts now as you no longer need to aquire a person's email account. People that throw their email account all over the place and at the same time advertise that they play won't be less safe, but those of us that made email accounts for the purpose to have the maximum possible security now have to face that was for nothing.

Thing is they announce that they are planning to add more security, but right now they only removed some. At the very least they should have done those at the same time. Part of me hopes a lot of accounts get hacked now, so BW/EA can MAYBE see the error of their ways. Ofcourse I do not wish it upon (most) players, even the free ones with bad reputation (needing on everything and refusing to comment when confronted with that) that ruin it for other free players. Not to mention hacked accounts may revive credit scamming, it'll be easier for them now to steal accounts.

Part of me wants to make 100 accounts with less than strong passwords and chalange people to try and gain access to them, but BW already did that for us. I hope their logs will show an increase in login attempts before it's too late. I fear for everyone without an authenticator!

Missandei
03.05.2013 , 11:54 PM | #202
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More

So basically, now every retarded kiddie will be able to block any account just entering 10+ times the wrong password to the Display Name he can get from Forums?

Great job BioWare!
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

tanktest
03.06.2013 , 12:28 AM | #203
I would rather use my forum name then my email , my question is why did wow drop using the forum name display name whatever it gets called at the time I was playing wow to log on ,, to me displaying any name but a charater name might be worse . but wow did say there was a major issue with using display names account names etc to log in and went with using Email over this way because they said it wasn't safe and allowed more hackes etc ... one of the main reason they did the battle.net thing so it was safer with emails .. and easyer to keep track of accounts ...

IF I remember right wow tried to make players display there RL name on the forums but dropped it for charater names .. and this might be as bad displaying a user name and not a name you only can find in a game once logged in ..

sorry jwing . but yea id rather use my forum name, display name, account name, whatever you call it .. but is it really safer sense it seems to work much better with emails all the webb I have yet to have my email misused by some one else but have had to change some user names due to they got hacked ..

Just asking don't shot me ..

how and were is your setup that much diff then wow ?

What happens if you all go for a battle.net type thing ? which IMO is much more hack prove ..

I just don't want my account baned because of a display name . issue ..then I have to fight you all over it

you can't tell it wont happen anything can happen at any time ..

Missandei
03.06.2013 , 12:42 AM | #204
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by WSS_Toxin
I don't like this, if you are going to make us log in with our display names at least make it so we can change our display names at least one time.

I have that on my list of things to look at already. That is a much harder challenge to change though as Display Name is also a unique reference, and changing the unique reference can create a ton of data inconsistencies. Technically possible, but not technically easy to accomplish. I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.
So adding the one more field ("Forum Name") in SQL database user record and making it shown at the UserPost is very costly for you? That could be done by any school kid in a matter of 10 minutes worktime.

Crap... This game is falling deeper and deeper to the point of beyond rescue...
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

Missandei
03.06.2013 , 12:51 AM | #205
Quote: Originally Posted by ratatech View Post
If this site detects you logging in from a different computer it will ask you one of the security questions you had to choose during account set-up and if you can't answer it you won't be allowed to log in to this site or the game
Yes. And when your account is blocked due to the numerous failed hack attempts... guess what? You have to dial to the Bioware CS that already proved as a total bull..t..
Have you prepared to a 5hrs waiting on the line to just get reset your account to be allowed you to log in?

tanktest
03.06.2013 , 12:55 AM | #206
Quote: Originally Posted by Missandei View Post
So adding the one more field ("Forum Name") in SQL database user record and making it shown at the UserPost is very costly for you? That could be done by any school kid in a matter of 10 minutes worktime.

Crap... This game is falling deeper and deeper to the point of beyond rescue...
I really like how its all ways to hard to do ,to me is a excuse, learn it, do it, then move on, is how I look at it ..

Niaymh
03.06.2013 , 01:12 AM | #207
All for this change tbh.

Do I use my email address in a million other places? Yup.

Are the vast majority of internet users even more insecure than me? You bet they are.

Some of you are extremely secure and use a different email address and password for every MMO and website you sign up to. This change is not for you. This is for the vast majority of internet users who use the same email address for everything and change the password they use for everything once every 5 years.

Scorpiooooo
03.06.2013 , 01:25 AM | #208
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post
So in case you haven't come across me before (most haven't!), I'm Phillip Holmes, the Senior Manager of Security here at Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I have that on my list of things to look at already. That is a much harder challenge to change though as Display Name is also a unique reference, and changing the unique reference can create a ton of data inconsistencies. Technically possible, but not technically easy to accomplish. I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.
Hi Phillip,

If, when we had purchased the game and set up our display names, we had known you were going to do this, there is no way, in hell, I would have called myself Scorpiooooo with five o's.

Please, for the love of god, let us change our display names so we can log in like normal people. I understand it's not the end of the world but it would be a damn lot easier for us if you would.

Thank you.

Scorpio ... oooo
Quote: Originally Posted by Clarian View Post
Luke's motivation to confront Vader wasn't to get a new belt.

chuuuuucky
03.06.2013 , 01:29 AM | #209
So did anyone recognice that this is possible since the beginning?
I mean you all scream how this will lower securiy but in fact there is no change in security at all. It is even a rise of security because now the most vulnareble part of the login your mail adresse which lot of people use in more then one game or on more than one website is out of the login process.
All people here should get their facts straight before the scream and moan.

Mallorik
03.06.2013 , 01:44 AM | #210
Quote: Originally Posted by AbsolutGrndZero View Post
Ok, and how is your forum name any different?
My forum name is not my email that can be hacked and used to retreive my password.