Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Display Name Only Log In - Coming April 2, 2013
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
03.05.2013 , 10:06 AM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Please be aware that beginning on April 2, 2013, logging in to the game or website will require your Display Name. Email addresses will no longer be accepted; your Display Name will be the only accepted option.

Read More
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Icebergy
03.05.2013 , 10:15 AM | #2
April Fools?
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 7/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM, 2/10 HM
Jedi Covenant

Hardtarget
03.05.2013 , 10:16 AM | #3
well that's... weird, since the whole point is the game uses our origin accounts

BenKatarn
03.05.2013 , 10:17 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
April Fools?
My thoughts exactly.
- = = The Atrias Legacy = = -
Aryne, Jedi Sentinel | Cayra, Jedi Sage | Kherra, Scoundrel | Khenna, Vanguard
Vertos, Sith Juggernaut | Zedas, Sith Sorcerer | Ysari, Sniper | Neith, Powertech

Bugattiboy
03.05.2013 , 10:18 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Icebergy View Post
April Fools?
No. It's not April Fools. If there is one thing EA does right and takes seriously, it's account security.

bigheadbrandon
03.05.2013 , 10:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Bugattiboy View Post
No. It's not April Fools. If there is one thing EA does right and takes seriously, it's account security.
so now everyone will know half of what you use to login?
iuno theres a reason why something like steam doesn't show people your account name...

MrSchmo
03.05.2013 , 10:30 AM | #7
I don't understand how this help security. No one knows what email I use to log in. Everyone knows your 'Display Name'. Granted they need to know the security questions, but knowing each persons display name is one less barrier IMO.
That's why they call it space, cause there is so much of it.

WSS_Toxin
03.05.2013 , 10:31 AM | #8
I don't like this, if you are going to make us log in with our display names at least make it so we can change our display names at least one time.
Varaldus lvl 55 Sith Sorc Healer- Prophecy of The Five
Guildmaster of "The Angry Beavers"

WSS_Toxin
03.05.2013 , 10:33 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MrSchmo View Post
I don't understand how this help security. No one knows what email I use to log in. Everyone knows your 'Display Name'. Granted they need to know the security questions, but knowing each persons display name is one less barrier IMO.
But like he said if you post on the forums at all there is your display name, not the email address, i only see this making it easier for peoples accounts to get hacked....
Varaldus lvl 55 Sith Sorc Healer- Prophecy of The Five
Guildmaster of "The Angry Beavers"

Urael
03.05.2013 , 10:38 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by WSS_Toxin View Post
But like he said if you post on the forums at all there is your display name, not the email address, i only see this making it easier for peoples accounts to get hacked....
A) EAware redefining terms AGAIN. Display Name = Forum "Handle" for those curious.

B) While at first blush it would seem that going from Email ( usually unknown/private ) to Handle ( very public ) there may seem to be a risk to security for hacking. I for one would expect to have A LOT of hacking attempts given how many people "love me" here. What you have is a fall back to the "questions" you were asked to associate with your account. These are triggerred if you don't log in from a consistante IP. Update your questions and change your password to be 10+ characters long with at least 2 Upper case, 2 lower case letters, 2 numbers, and 2 special characters. Nothing to worry about.