Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companion Gearing Question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Companion Gearing Question

andhean
03.01.2013 , 02:47 PM | #1
Hi, I've been playing a for bit now and have several 30's and 40's. I like playing solo a good portion of the time, and only recently discovered how much a well geared companion helps. My question is about end game and companion gearing. Are there a lot of things you can do (dailies, etc.) that can be used to gear companions (other than just GTN buying gear), or is it pretty hard? Does anyone have experience they might be able to share as to how this works end game? Is there a -big- advantage to classes that share gear with their companions? For example a trooper (everyone uses aim), as opposed to a sith warrior (willpower and cunning would be what I'd want).

Any advice/end game thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

OwenP
03.01.2013 , 10:12 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by andhean View Post
Hi, I've been playing a for bit now and have several 30's and 40's. I like playing solo a good portion of the time, and only recently discovered how much a well geared companion helps. My question is about end game and companion gearing. Are there a lot of things you can do (dailies, etc.) that can be used to gear companions (other than just GTN buying gear), or is it pretty hard? Does anyone have experience they might be able to share as to how this works end game? Is there a -big- advantage to classes that share gear with their companions? For example a trooper (everyone uses aim), as opposed to a sith warrior (willpower and cunning would be what I'd want).

Any advice/end game thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
I found my Trooper had the better equiped companions by end game due to hand me downs. he was also my 1st to 50 so I struggled to get the more ecclectic crews geared well and generally only had 1 or 2 geared well at 50.

honestly couldn't say much about fiding gear drops for companions at end game, i usually start another character...
He's no good to me dead

sumuji
03.02.2013 , 01:26 AM | #3
Planet Dailies offer item rewards(weapons, custom armor, item mods). Daily Comms, currency reward for running dailies, can be used to buy item modifications, assuming your companions has custom armor on. Drops usually aren't that great but can be upgrades.

If you run Hardmode Flashpoints you'll get some drops that a companion can use. Also once you gear up you'll have currency to buy Tionese or Columi gear for your companion. You'll get a full set of Tionese, the first tier set, for free anyway...leaving you free to spend Tionese Comms on gearing companions.

PvP gear would be another option. It's not bad for PvE as well.

That's pretty much the options that cost you nothing. It's not that hard to get a companion moderatley geared if you specialize on one or two. Some things will be changing with 2.0 expansion though.

Not sure waht you mean by the classes that share gear part. It's easier to gear up a companion that shares the same stats as you because it will sometimes be option for quest rewards. They might not be the role you want though. You don't want to give your Aim/End companion a Cunning, Willpower, or Strength piece. Those main stats are worthless to them.

Rooff
03.02.2013 , 03:23 AM | #4
Do the Daily Hard mode quest and you will quickly accumulate Columi/tionese drops and commendations to equip yourself and then your companions with.

Do some PVP as good PVE weapons can be hard to come by.

andhean
03.03.2013 , 04:02 PM | #5
Great, thanks for the advice.

Heezdedjim
03.04.2013 , 10:42 AM | #6
No class locks on endgame gear generally, so companions can wear anything you get from Hardmode FPs and leftover raid drops. If you raid a lot, you can get them geared out as well as yourself eventually, but that's not something you can do solo. Other than farming credits and buying rank 25+ mods to put in shells for them, there isn't much you can do solo to get the "best" gear for them. That said, for anything you're using a companion for, short of crazy stuff like trying to 4-man an 8-man op, you don't need super high end gear for any of them to perform well. The healers in particular work fine even when sadly undergeared, and you can fill all their slots with blue level 49 mods super cheap off the GTN.