Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need some tips on making credits

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Need some tips on making credits

GenetixKore
02.12.2013 , 09:49 PM | #1
Hey guys, I've been playing swtor for about 1 weeks now. I am currently lvl 18 sith juggernaut. I have an alright amount of credits but I have found myself running low on credits lately. I have just recently picked up slicing artifice and archeology. I'm wondering if those are the right crew skills for credits. Any one got any suggestions for anything I can do to make some more credits.

Storm-Cutter
02.13.2013 , 02:12 AM | #2
Your first character can be a bit of a struggle. - You can go around killing mobs for some credits, and on the way pick up the materials nodes. Slicing the computer terminals and sending your companion(s) out to run missions. – Sell anything you don’t need. – If you want to use your artifice as a crafting skill, best to research your current schematics and reverse engineer the items you can make. Once they turn blue then research the list price on the GTN. – If you can farm materials and make blue or even purple items then selling them on the GTN can make a fair amount. – Do some simple calculations for cost to produce vs sale price minus the GTN tax. – Even a hundred credits profit / item can soon mount up. – Though you’ll probably need Treasure Hunting to go with the Artifice if you want to avoid buying expensive materials off the GTN.

If you are crafting, then always send your companions to get materials. Especially the generic stuff like Brocart filaments, insulating flux and thermionic gel. – Much more cost effective than buying it from crew-skill vendors.

If you have a bit of spare cash then the GTN can be your friend. Check the prices of generic materials. Sometimes someone dumps a few items for the suggested list price, or misses out a zero somewhere…. I bought 99 Krayt Dragon scales once for 40K – Usual price is 4-5K each!

Do some daily quests – at level 18 you could probably easily solo some heroic 2s at level 10 or so – Even do the Black Talon a couple of times, either solo or in group.

Group questing usually yields better drops from the mobs you kill. If you are sensible on your need/greed this can keep the credits rolling in. side missions are good too. Try ones around your level for the right rewards. Don’t try to take on every single mob in the game. Choose your targets carefully. Some are quite tough, and if you are continually defeated and paying for repairs then your bank balance will suffer.

Some space missions can yield money – the rewards are small at lower level, but OTOH there is minimal cost - You don’t have to pay repair bills to the ship even if you fail the mission.

If you have friends or are in a guild, you could ask them for a loan. –Best pay it back when you can to keep them sweet!

If you have some Cartel coins either by subbing or paying IRL then sell anything you don’t want or need. If you undercut some of the prices on the GTN then that can make for a quick sale. For example I recently got a WARZONE XP boost in a cartel pack. As I’m basically PvE that went straight on the market.

When you level up, sometimes it pays to wait until you actually need the skill on offer. – Speeder rank II can wait a few levels for instance. Also, if your gear can stand it, then don’t go for the absolute best. A purple hilt or mod or crystal is great, but you’ll outlevel it soon enough and need a new one. Save the credits and buy blue or green if you’re on a budget. Sell everything you’ll not need again. Old mods, hilts, level 10 medpacks, everything. – You might be surprised the number of characters with 3 cargo bays full of useless junk. – Ever going to need a piece of green armouring for a level 11 again – no?

At level 18 or so, probably best to gear up just 1 companion and stick with it. Match your playstyle to that companion for a bit. If you have a companion that can use your gear Hand-me-downs you can save quite a bit of cash. – As you rise through the levels, you’ll probably find 1 companion that gets used almost all the time. – That’s the one to keep geared. The others can wait. Also spend your planetary commendations. You’ll not need them in a few levels time, you’ll be too high a level to make much use of them, so spend them now!

There are many more strategies, but I’ll leave those for another time.

-Phew!

Good luck out there, May the Force be with You / Up the Empire!
-Storm Cutter.

- THE PROGENITOR: GSF pilots: REP: Jaynn-Grey and Karn-T'woom GSF IMP Pilots: Tuesday-Jones and Ruiiz

parmie
02.13.2013 , 07:21 AM | #3
Good tips there, I'd say if you don't buy items off the GTN, you can't help but accrue credits if you're doing the majority of quests in the area you're in. Always loot the grey junk, it's not much but adds up overtime.

Slicing should be a low profit skill for you which is better than most which cost you. If you're not into playing the GTN with the selling mats game, I'd think about dropping one of those for treasure hunting. Lockboxes can come back with decent items to vendor or equip.

The other low effort way I make credits is to grind companion gift missions (rich grade 5s) when I'm in ops or doing something else, low yield but you don't have to worry about what you need to craft any particular item, or reverse engineering etc. Ultimately you have to be quite serious about crafting to turn it into a profit maker on it's own.

psandak
02.13.2013 , 08:45 AM | #4
Space combat missions were a BIG credit source on my first character, but there are some more generic tips I have given over the last 13 years playing MMOs:

- do not spend your money on anything you do not absolutely have to. At your level stims and medpacs fall into this category. They can be very attractive, but are NOT necessary.

- do every quest you can, you would be amazed how much the quest rewards add up.

- along those same lines, choose your quest rewards carefully. when you are offered a piece of gear or a planet comm, you sometimes need to weigh the benefits of both. Even if the piece of gear is not an upgrade it might be more valuable for the vendor credits than the one planet comm.

- make sure your inventory is as empty as possible when you go out so you can loot everything. Again, you would be amazed how quickly your credit total grows when you can sell 50 gray items to a vendor.

- have patience. So long as you have enough credits to train all your class and advanced class abilities your credit total is fine. If you can do that AND level your crew skills so much the better.

Heezdedjim
02.13.2013 , 11:37 AM | #5
Pick up archaeology, bioanalysis, and scavenging. Scan every node you run across while leveling up, including animals and droids that you kill. Sell all the mats you gather on the GTN. Set the prices a little bit less than whatever is the lowest unit price when you post them, and your stuff will sell quick every time.

The reason this works out so well is that even low level mats sell very nicely to lazy crafters who don't like to farm, and the mats you gather cost you nothing in credits and almost nothing in time to get, so whatever you sell them for is pure profit. You also will not waste any credits leveling up your crew skills or reverse engineering patterns, as you have to do with the crafting and mission skills.

And once you hit 50, you will have a nicely maxed out farm toon that can generate tons of mats, and a steady income, to fund your other alts that you decide to take crafting skills on.

JacksonMo
02.13.2013 , 11:55 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
Pick up archaeology, bioanalysis, and scavenging. Scan every node you run across while leveling up, including animals and droids that you kill. Sell all the mats you gather on the GTN. Set the prices a little bit less than whatever is the lowest unit price when you post them, and your stuff will sell quick every time.

The reason this works out so well is that even low level mats sell very nicely to lazy crafters who don't like to farm, and the mats you gather cost you nothing in credits and almost nothing in time to get, so whatever you sell them for is pure profit. You also will not waste any credits leveling up your crew skills or reverse engineering patterns, as you have to do with the crafting and mission skills.

And once you hit 50, you will have a nicely maxed out farm toon that can generate tons of mats, and a steady income, to fund your other alts that you decide to take crafting skills on.
^^ This!
You CAN make money crafting, but you will ALWAYS make money gathering.
If you check prices on GTN, you can often find items listed much lower than the competition.
I like to do this with things I'm already selling since the prices are fresh in my mind.

Shiziticus
03.02.2013 , 02:46 PM | #7
Hello Everyone. Let me first say that this is my first MMO and I'm truly thankful to have finally taken the plunge...especially since it's STAR WARS. I am, however, COMPLETELY and UTTERLY overwhelmed in certain area's and am having GREAT difficulty learning 1. How to use my crew skills, and 2. How to employ crew skills with my 1st character so as to benefit all of my Future characters....? I would actually be willing to PAY someone through paypal to serve as a consultant via emails if ONLY in order to gain a grasp of the various workings of the game.

Please excuse my ignorance if I am entering this in the 'wrong' area of the forum. For instance, at level 33 Sith Marauder, I am still not sure how to 'scan' defeated droids or open safes or hack computer terminals for materials...? Also, I have NO clue how to 'sell' a mission on the GTN. Realize in advance that I am in my fifties, a retired competive endurance athlete and artiste who, though old in body, alas, is still very much kick *** in mind and spirit. .............Can anyone point me in the right direction as such to find a one on one way to connect with a master player or group....? My guild seems not to have any patience for actively doing what it takes to help me actually LEARN how to truly play the game for all its worth. I especially want to start using my crew skills to start accruing wealth for future distribution to my future legacy. Believe it or not, I have only done a singl flash point and find that the players are not really behaving in a militaristic fashion but only seem to run around chaotically with ZERO interest in behaving in a true tactical manner.. [ I was actually a battle feild analyst when I was in my early twenties]. Is this the way it is...? Is this the way 'war zones' are....? Pure chaos with zero attention to 'realistic' strategic behavior....? First and foremost, Please, somebody, help me get a grip on how to begin to use and strategize my crew for gathering and crafting for profit. And if anyone knows of anyplace where I can get one on one attention, PLEASE let me know. I learn slow, but one I learn something I usually 'go pro', and right now, I'm a bumbling ignoramous.

Thanx in advance. - Sa'Umyazza [lvl 33 Sith Marauder / Carnage]

Rooff
03.03.2013 , 04:05 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Shiziticus View Post
Hello Everyone. Let me first say that this is my first MMO and I'm truly thankful to have finally taken the plunge...especially since it's STAR WARS. I am, however, COMPLETELY and UTTERLY overwhelmed in certain area's and am having GREAT difficulty learning 1. How to use my crew skills, and 2. How to employ crew skills with my 1st character so as to benefit all of my Future characters....? I would actually be willing to PAY someone through paypal to serve as a consultant via emails if ONLY in order to gain a grasp of the various workings of the game.

Please excuse my ignorance if I am entering this in the 'wrong' area of the forum. For instance, at level 33 Sith Marauder, I am still not sure how to 'scan' defeated droids or open safes or hack computer terminals for materials...? Also, I have NO clue how to 'sell' a mission on the GTN. Realize in advance that I am in my fifties, a retired competive endurance athlete and artiste who, though old in body, alas, is still very much kick *** in mind and spirit. .............Can anyone point me in the right direction as such to find a one on one way to connect with a master player or group....? My guild seems not to have any patience for actively doing what it takes to help me actually LEARN how to truly play the game for all its worth. I especially want to start using my crew skills to start accruing wealth for future distribution to my future legacy. Believe it or not, I have only done a singl flash point and find that the players are not really behaving in a militaristic fashion but only seem to run around chaotically with ZERO interest in behaving in a true tactical manner.. [ I was actually a battle feild analyst when I was in my early twenties]. Is this the way it is...? Is this the way 'war zones' are....? Pure chaos with zero attention to 'realistic' strategic behavior....? First and foremost, Please, somebody, help me get a grip on how to begin to use and strategize my crew for gathering and crafting for profit. And if anyone knows of anyplace where I can get one on one attention, PLEASE let me know. I learn slow, but one I learn something I usually 'go pro', and right now, I'm a bumbling ignoramous.

Thanx in advance. - Sa'Umyazza [lvl 33 Sith Marauder / Carnage]
Ilike when groups actually think of what each player can bring to the table but in low level flashpoints their are allot of new players that dont know and allot of alts who are fully geared for their level that feel it is just faster to plow through the flash point than to wait for tactics.

If you have the correct skill then just place your mouse pointer over the droid/computer and you will see the pointer change icons, if it is grey then you are out of range or do not have enough skill if it is gold just right click.

What server do you play on?

Shiziticus
03.04.2013 , 12:36 PM | #9
Hey thanks for the reply...! I currently play on 'HARBINGER' which is 'PVE' out here in Los Angeles. I'd REALLY like to play PVP but I know from the one single OP I did in PVP that I'm just not skilled enough yet to succeed [I died within 20 seconds each time I respawned....Ha ha. I can already tell that once I manage to figure out / evolve my own particular 'style' of 'control / aim / game play......I'll REALLY do well and have fun. Currently, I'm still trying to find the best peripherals for my hand size / play style. Luckily I can 'afford' to burn a little money buying products and testing them out. There's no way in hell I can make use of a mouse with 15--25 buttons, UNLESS they are placed exactly where I would naturally 'use' them.....which....thus far, the ONLY mouse which had managed to do this is the 'Thermaltake e-sports level 10' mouse made in partnership with BMW's adavnced design team. I'm also just now trying out the 'Razer Orbweaver Game Pad', as well as the 'Gaming Glove' which is set to arrive tomorrow. The glove 'seems' like it just might be a viable option for me, but perhaps the Orbweaver will be the right controller. All I know is that a 'keyboard' doesn't 'seem' to do it for me. The buttons are just too damned close together for me to attain proper control. What are your thoughts on these peripherals that I am now set to use....????

Thanks for your input even if kinda brief though it may be. Yes...I finally figured out how to scan for 'nodes'. But I'm still having trouble with play style / control of character. I guess this just takes time....???? It's kinda frustrating not to be able to make the character 'do' what I want him to do WHEN I want him to do it.

ANY input / tips you may have for me regarding 'how' to go about establishing / finding a group who thinks alike and actually 'behaves' in a sane manner would be GREATLY appreciated. I'd REALLY like to find / build a group to play with so I can get into flashpoints and missions.

Thanks again.

rgrocott
03.04.2013 , 01:32 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Shiziticus View Post
Hey thanks for the reply...! I currently play on 'HARBINGER' which is 'PVE' out here in Los Angeles. ...
ANY input / tips you may have for me regarding 'how' to go about establishing / finding a group who thinks alike and actually 'behaves' in a sane manner would be GREATLY appreciated. I'd REALLY like to find / build a group to play with so I can get into flashpoints and missions.

Thanks again.
I think the only way you'll really find a regular group to play with is by joining a guild. I know you mentioned that you're in a guild already and they haven't been as helpful as you'd like, so maybe it's time to look around and see if another guild might be a better fit for you?

You could try posting on your server forums (http://www.swtor.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=383), and also check for any recruitment posts that emphasise a helpful and welcoming environment for new players. If any guilds look promising, have a chat with the recruiters and let them know what sort of guild you're looking for.

You do need to be careful not to come across as being too "needy" when having these conversations, and that also applies if you do find a new guild. I understand that you're new to all this MMO stuff, but remember that the other players are here to have fun too, and they have their own things they want to do during their playtime. Many people will be happy to help with advice and the odd group, but you need to be a bit self-sufficient too - it's very easy to cross the line and get a bit stalker-ish