Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taxes charged on game time?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glini
02.27.2013 , 11:40 AM | #1
just happened to look at my card statement and noticed that i had paid $15.89 for this last month, came to my account and see that they are charging tax on game time now.

AlaricSevGirl
02.27.2013 , 11:41 AM | #2
Yes EA/BW is now charging tax on their products including subscriptions.

Esproc
02.27.2013 , 12:06 PM | #3
Is this EA or just local State taxes added on?

My state charges Tax on all such products and transactions.

I also has laws against a company that protects against other 'taxes' that do commerce in the state and nationally.

And as EA has offices in my state ...
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson.
One Amendment to save them all ...

CrazyCanukk
02.27.2013 , 12:09 PM | #4
I get our 13% HST added on my sub as well.

video games and game time (subs) are considered a luxury item and not exempt from taxes. If they were not charging before it was most likely an oversight more then anything else.

Although tax law and trying to sort it out is muddy at best and confusing most of the time.
Twitchtv channel: http://www.twitch.tv/crazycanukk
Twitter: @Crazycanukk
Server: Shadowlands

Rankyn
02.27.2013 , 12:28 PM | #5
It's likely that one of two things changed since tax is a function of your government and not BioWare:

1) The place you live requires that it be collected. This may be a recent change or BioWare may be just now getting around to implementing it.

2) BioWare has decided to stop trying to figure out who does and does not require them to collect tax and just start charging it for everyone. Even in most places where they are not required to collect it, you as the consumer are still required to pay it to the government yourself.

chuixupu
02.27.2013 , 02:21 PM | #6
Looking back at my entire payment history, it's always been the same for me. There may have been some changes tax laws for your state at some point.

All CC packs have all been the same for me as well.

I'm in California, btw.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

translucentwolf
02.27.2013 , 02:50 PM | #7
Didn't used to pay tax. Noticed today that I paid tax for a cartel coin pack.
That which does not kill you merely postpones the inevitable.

SlimsPicken
02.27.2013 , 04:28 PM | #8
Time for another mother****nig tea party.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

EricMusco
02.27.2013 , 04:42 PM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I was hoping to clear up some confusion on this issue. Subscriptions are subject to sales tax in some states, and sometimes states rules on how these taxes are applied can fluctuate from month to month. This could be the cause of the cost changes you noted above.

If you want to get more information on something like this you can view our Terms of Service or our FAQ, or call your state's Revenue Department.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

WestNileVirus
04.19.2013 , 02:44 PM | #10
The rule of the interwebz goes, you do not have to pay taxes unless the company you are purchasing from's business address is in your state.