Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Malak

Aurbere
02.22.2013 , 01:33 PM | #1
"There's nobody left who remembers who I was before. But they'll remember Malak. I'll make sure of that."-Malak

After Malak left Coruscant to regroup with Revan and their followers on Cathar, he was followed by Vrook Lamar and members of the Jedi Order. Vrook and the Jedi confronted Revan and told him to abandon their current path, telling them that the Mandalorians were not the true threat. During their argument, Revan noticed a Mandalorian helmet on the ground. He picked it up and all those present experienced a vision.

The vision showed a female Mandalorian, to whom the mask belonged, trying to convince Mandalorian General Cassus Fett to leave the Cathar. She saw how beaten the Cathar were, and that the Mandalorians were victorious. But Cassus saw the Cathar as a stain on the galaxy, and ordered them to be wiped out. He then killed the female Mandalorian and led the Neo-Crusaders to massacre the Cathar.

With the vision's end, Revan pledged to vanquish the Mandalorians, a pledge his followers were more than happy to make as well. However, despite knowing what had occured on Cathar, Vrook and the Jedi did not join Revan, but the Jedi Council allowed the Revanchists to join the Republic.

The Republic gladly accepted them, and declared them Generals. Revan and Malak's entrance to the war marked it's turning point. Republic numbers swelled, new ships were built, and Revan's strategies led the Republic to victory in countless battles. They liberated Taris and Althir from the grip of Mandalore the Ultimate and his general Cassus Fett.

But, as the Jedi Council feared, the war was changing Revan and Malak. They had changed from valiant Jedi to brutal conquerors. They began to believe that ultimate victory was all that mattered, and that anything should be done to achieve that victory. Revan began to adopt the tactics of his enemy, sacrificing worlds to make critical strikes against the Mandalorians. Their newfound savagery brought the war to its climax at Malachor V, where Revan had gone before to discover new Dark Side teachings. He shared these teachings with Malak, cementing their fall to the Dark Side.

Revan then set a trap for the Mandalorians at Malachor V. A great battle took place between the Republic and the Mandalorians. Revan personally executed Mandalore the Ultimate, but this would not be the end of the battle. One last act ended the war: a single nod from Jedi General Meetra Surik. With this act, Iridonian Engineer Bao-Dur activated the Mass Shadow Generator, a devastating weapon that ended the battle.

While Malak and Revan were hailed as heroes, their war was not done. Revan had learned of a Sith threat in the Unknown Regions, and took his forces to deal with it. They found an ancient Sith Emperor lurking on Dromund Kaas. They fought the malevolent being, but were overpowered and twisted by the Emperor's Dark powers. He made the two fallen Jedi Dark Lords of the Sith and sent them back to known space to locate the ancient Star Forge.

Revan and Malak returned to Known Space, bearing the title 'Darth'. Their fall to the Dark Side was complete, and with it, a new war would be waged by the new Sith Lords.

Stay tuned for Darth Malak.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 01:34 PM | #2
He is a failure as a Sith Lord and antagonist, failed to surpass his master and even admitted he was nothing in the end.

Aurbere
02.22.2013 , 01:43 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
He is a failure as a Sith Lord and antagonist, failed to surpass his master and even admitted he was nothing in the end.
Well, I guess you could say that. He's not really the best example of a Sith Lord.

But this reminds me of what several characters say when they compare Revan and Malak to Exar Kun. They were right, that's for sure.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 01:54 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Well, I guess you could say that. He's not really the best example of a Sith Lord.

But this reminds me of what several characters say when they compare Revan and Malak to Exar Kun. They were right, that's for sure.
Exar Kun is full of ambition, killed and surpassed both Nadd and Baas. He played a much better antagonist role than Malak.

Aurbere
02.22.2013 , 02:09 PM | #5
Exar Kun is full of ambition, killed and surpassed both Nadd and Baas. He played a much better antagonist role than Malak.
Indeed he did. Not to mention being more powerful than Malak as well.

Beniboybling
02.22.2013 , 02:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Indeed he did. Not to mention being more powerful than Malak as well.
And then along came Traya and surpassed them all...

Kind of an unrelated point but I'd like to see something - I don't know what, be a comic, book, game whatever - on Darth Revan. I mean we play Revan Reborn, and we see him in SWTOR but we only hear about his exploits as a Sith Lord.

We never actually see what he was like as a Sith Lord, and I think that would be very interesting. Right know when I think 'Darth Revan', I just think powerful dude did this that and the other and wears cool armour. I wanna see behind the mask!

Aurbere
02.22.2013 , 03:05 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
And then along came Traya and surpassed them all...

Kind of an unrelated point but I'd like to see something - I don't know what, be a comic, book, game whatever - on Darth Revan. I mean we play Revan Reborn, and we see him in SWTOR but we only hear about his exploits as a Sith Lord.

We never actually see what he was like as a Sith Lord, and I think that would be very interesting. Right know when I think 'Darth Revan', I just think powerful dude did this that and the other and wears cool armour. I wanna see behind the mask!
I would love to see some more exploration on Darth Revan.

Just keep Drew away from it.

Darkondo
02.22.2013 , 05:03 PM | #8
I might be only one of a few that thinks Malak actually surpassed Revan in power, (not in tactics or overall brains) as a sith. Then Revan comes back as a jedi stronger than he ever was as a sith and surpasses Malak. (Im probably wrong about this but it makes some sense from a certain point of view.)

Would love to also see more of Darth Revan, if you think about it hes the true author of the Rule of Two, Bane just applied his teachings into making it. So in a way Darth Revan had a hand in creating the most powerful sith to ever live, the final product: Darth Sidious.

Slowpokeking
02.22.2013 , 05:08 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkondo View Post
I might be only one of a few that thinks Malak actually surpassed Revan in power, (not in tactics or overall brains) as a sith. Then Revan comes back as a jedi stronger than he ever was as a sith and surpasses Malak. (Im probably wrong about this but it makes some sense from a certain point of view.)

Would love to also see more of Darth Revan, if you think about it hes the true author of the Rule of Two, Bane just applied his teachings into making it. So in a way Darth Revan had a hand in creating the most powerful sith to ever live, the final product: Darth Sidious.
Malak had the Star Forge behind him and he still got owned, that's just weak.

And later he even admitted he was nothing, that's something a Sith Lord should never say. The non canon Dark Side ending is even more pathetic. Kun didn't admit defeat and still tried to get away when thousands of Jedi were coming for him, and Malak admitted he was nothing facing one Jedi,

Darkondo
02.22.2013 , 05:25 PM | #10
Malak had the Star Forge behind him and he still got owned, that's just weak.

And later he even admitted he was nothing, that's something a Sith Lord should never say. The non canon Dark Side ending is even more pathetic. Kun didn't admit defeat and still tried to get away when thousands of Jedi were coming for him, and Malak admitted he was nothing facing one Jedi,
He got owned by an amnesiac Jedi Revan who had become stronger than he ever was as Darth Revan, felt so by Malak himself. Yes, he ends pathetically i agree with you.