Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

TheIrage
02.20.2013 , 04:38 PM | #461
I am not sure If I am way off ( If so I apologize) but could it have to do with currents server population? I know every time I log in, every US server is running at near full capacity. I imagine that if they implement character transfers there is a risk of overwhelming some servers. If this was the case though, I would think BW could implement a system that caps server capacity and allows only near 1:1 transfers... but it could be messy.

Heezdedjim
02.20.2013 , 04:46 PM | #462
Quote: Originally Posted by MadBernieSkills View Post
They already coded it. Forced server merges used the code. Now all they have to do is add a price to it. Seems easy enough to do that
What they did before was server merges, not character transfers. Among other things not required for a merge, they would never have had to code up any UI, queueing system, lockouts during transfers, logging and payment systems, authentication hooks, or any of the dozens of other things that go into automated processing of player initiated voluntary character transfers. The server merges only needed a big mess of special-case, one-off database dump, import, and cleanup scripts, and there were DBAs around to do any dirty work by hand when it all went sideways in the middle of the downtime.

They already said that the paid transfers will be based on the back end and the interface that they have since built to allow player initiated transfers from live to the PTS. Once they test it on transfers to PTS (where the inevitable two months worth of game breaking bugs won't be blowing up your entire account every time you do a transfer), then they'll roll it out for live-to-live transfers. And you will have to pay for it. Probably a lot more than it will be worth actually. This has all been explained already.

It took them six months to get a group finder into the game after launch, and another two or three months after that to actually make it work. There's no reason to think this won't take twice as long for them to pull off, so as far as what we've been told at this point, they're right on schedule.

CaptRavenous
02.20.2013 , 04:57 PM | #463
k, this is wierd, I was reading another post, clicked the reply button, and my post shows up in this thread.

***!?
BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Heezdedjim
02.20.2013 , 05:05 PM | #464
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRavenous View Post
k, this is wierd, I was reading another post, clicked the reply button, and my post shows up in this thread.
I blame the inventory sort bug.

CaptRavenous
02.20.2013 , 05:08 PM | #465
I never used the inventory sort feature, because it can't sort them the way I want.

That's almost ironic, I think.
BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Graydon
02.20.2013 , 05:14 PM | #466
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
What they did before was server merges, not character transfers. Among other things not required for a merge, they would never have had to code up any UI, queueing system, lockouts during transfers, logging and payment systems, authentication hooks, or any of the dozens of other things that go into automated processing of player initiated voluntary character transfers. The server merges only needed a big mess of special-case, one-off database dump, import, and cleanup scripts, and there were DBAs around to do any dirty work by hand when it all went sideways in the middle of the downtime.

They already said that the paid transfers will be based on the back end and the interface that they have since built to allow player initiated transfers from live to the PTS. Once they test it on transfers to PTS (where the inevitable two months worth of game breaking bugs won't be blowing up your entire account every time you do a transfer), then they'll roll it out for live-to-live transfers. And you will have to pay for it. Probably a lot more than it will be worth actually. This has all been explained already.

It took them six months to get a group finder into the game after launch, and another two or three months after that to actually make it work. There's no reason to think this won't take twice as long for them to pull off, so as far as what we've been told at this point, they're right on schedule.
You are very wrong on this. BW did implement server transfers before the Mega Server Merge. We did not have a choice regarding destination.

You really are making the process sound a lot more complicated than it really is. The first batch of server transfers were live to live too.

I am glad though to see Character Transfer to PTS is now live!!!

Finally, the first step.

Nomad_Chaos
03.06.2013 , 05:11 PM | #467
I agree - after years of paying money for this adventure it is very disappointing that Transfers are not being accepted. I started on Harbinger but everyone in my guild has left - SWTOR period. They will not go back due to all the nasty changes that overshadow the good modifications. So I am stuck on Harbinger while my daughter and other friends are on Ebon Hawk. So what am I doing - recreating a character that could easily be transferred. Frustrating to say the least to do all the missions etc again on Ebon to play catch up. I should just cancel my subscription and stop giving my money away while BW is spending time and energy to do what??? Change the login process? Idiocy

Get with it BW - there used to be a concept that he who pays the bills - your customers - were heard - otherwise you just fall by the wayside with all the other businesses that are non-responsive and then you get to look for a new job. I for one will not spend another nickel on any of your products so please - anti-up fools.

pooks
03.07.2013 , 04:05 PM | #468
This was posted by a dev recently: "'I can't say just yet on April 2nd, but this is one of the ducks I'm lining up. It's no coincidence that the change we are making is related to that (among other) self-service implementations. One of the ducks even has 'move' in it's name.'"

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...96#edit5965096

Hopefully it will mean a free legacy "family" character transfer and paid other transfers.
1 Free Character Transfer + other Goodies - Just use my Official SWTOR Refer a Friend Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/Yhmw9h

SentinelDranoel
03.07.2013 , 04:08 PM | #469
Nothing new to say, other than the PTS copy is working better and I think you guys are getting close to a finished transfer system.
and the Force beat generic Swords and Magic any day. 8/26/14 That was my old signature but after RotHC, I went back to superheroes and swords and magic. Now waiting on Dragon Age and a SWTOR story expac for my Bioware fix 7/30/15 Returned for KotFE. Finally, a story expac.

Malckiah
03.07.2013 , 04:38 PM | #470
Heck no we wont go....Heck no we wont go!...oh uh I mean....hurry and get server transfers going please....like now please!