Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

making credits, help

wrathofkhan
02.18.2013 , 05:56 PM | #1
Hi All,
I am not really interested in crafting so
I have come up with Slicing , Scavenging & investigation for gathering & selling the stuff on GTN so as to make credits.
Are there better gathering skills ?

Many thanks

Basil_Evenstar
02.18.2013 , 07:10 PM | #2
I know from experience that scavenging and underworld trading (metals only) can make a killing on the GTN.

darksidechemist
02.18.2013 , 07:35 PM | #3
Bioanalysis is a good one, too.

Blackardin
02.19.2013 , 04:29 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by wrathofkhan View Post
Hi All,
I am not really interested in crafting so
I have come up with Slicing , Scavenging & investigation for gathering & selling the stuff on GTN so as to make credits.
Are there better gathering skills ?

Many thanks
forget crafting. It is a credit sink and you will spend an inordinate amount of time that will actually drain your wallet rather then enhance your equity. Bulk your toons up with scavenging, and bio for when you are in the field. Add in underworld metals and have your unused toons running those missions continuously. There is a huge profit margin. I can earn up to 300k in about an hour.
May the Schwartz be with you....

DarthBurton
02.20.2013 , 04:29 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
forget crafting. It is a credit sink and you will spend an inordinate amount of time that will actually drain your wallet rather then enhance your equity. Bulk your toons up with scavenging, and bio for when you are in the field. Add in underworld metals and have your unused toons running those missions continuously. There is a huge profit margin. I can earn up to 300k in about an hour.
Crafting is a credit sink? My 4 million a day say otherwise, especially when they point out, that i only have to spend an hour at most to get them. Saves me the trouble of running missions, running through the wilds to gather materials or doing dailies.

That's more time i can invest in an alt or do something else outside the game.
Kinara - Sage Lv. 55 - Mídori - Sorcerer Lv. 55 - Dárya - Sage Lv. 55
Kíeran - Sentinel Lv. 55 - Sául - Juggernaut Lv. 49 - Natálya - Guardian Lv. 50
Ayaná - Vanguard Lv. 55 - Murdoҫk - Commando Lv. 51
Nakajima - Scoundrel Lv. 55 - Caitlín - Shadow Lv. 55

NLxAROSA
02.20.2013 , 05:20 AM | #6
I think both of you are right. Specialization is the key here. You can make boatloads of cash doing just the gathering missions and selling mats, but the same applies for just doing the crafting (while obtaining the mats from the GTN). So there's a definite market for each strategy.

What is really suboptimal is if you try to do both. E.g. when crafting, you can queue up all your companions, churning out items at a steady pace, with hardly any intervention. I can generate a boatload of items per hour that way, while I use my character to do the fun stuff. If I were to gather my own items (especially the more exotic ones) that means my companions are NOT generating items (= loss of income). And there's NO guarantee I'll actually get the exact amount AND type of mats I need for specific items (not very efficient). Or I have to go out to get mats myself, which I find about as interesting as watching paint dry. Better to scourge the GTN looking for bargains (large stacks usually can be acquired at a decent price per item).

Same way the other way around: you can make good money just gathering and selling the mats (mostly for people like me), and don't craft anything at all (better have extra gathering capacity). The efficiency argument I used earlier does not apply in this case, since you are not crafting yourself. Just put any crafted materials on the GTN and people like me will buy them. And again, let your companions do the heavy lifting, and use your character to do the fun stuff (unless you enjoy gathering of course, to each his own ).

Sarlegant
02.20.2013 , 08:46 AM | #7
4 mil in an hour??? is that one hour a week, or day... so you do 28 million a week?

is any of that 4 mil an hour profit, after paying top coin on the GTN... cheap mats are scarce, alot of people want cheap mats... so, middle to high end prices prevail, if not today, if not tommorrow, sooner or later the damand drives up the price for mats, with someone buying up supplys to turn 4 mil of end product.

how many items max can we put on the GTN... 80??? so you're selling something, worth at least 50K... but that's pure profit...

can we assume, 100% markup.... so, 80 items at 100K, to cover expensive mats... perhaps it's 40 items, at 200K...

takes 16 people running dailies at 250K profit, to generate 4 mil creds... so, 160 people generate 40 mil a day...
you're taking 10% of the GPN daily, leaves room for 9 more people to do that same...

alright, I won't throw the BS flag... I will say crafting won't produce 4 mil per day in an hour, for very many people.

Alpine
02.20.2013 , 09:29 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarlegant View Post
4 mil in an hour??? is that one hour a week, or day... so you do 28 million a week?

is any of that 4 mil an hour profit, after paying top coin on the GTN... cheap mats are scarce, alot of people want cheap mats... so, middle to high end prices prevail, if not today, if not tommorrow, sooner or later the damand drives up the price for mats, with someone buying up supplys to turn 4 mil of end product.

how many items max can we put on the GTN... 80??? so you're selling something, worth at least 50K... but that's pure profit...

can we assume, 100% markup.... so, 80 items at 100K, to cover expensive mats... perhaps it's 40 items, at 200K...

takes 16 people running dailies at 250K profit, to generate 4 mil creds... so, 160 people generate 40 mil a day...
you're taking 10% of the GPN daily, leaves room for 9 more people to do that same...

alright, I won't throw the BS flag... I will say crafting won't produce 4 mil per day in an hour, for very many people.

He said a day. I do about the same per day. I sell mk-6 kits, 27 armoring & mods and augments.

Although the OP isn't interested in high level crafting, he sounds like he wants to make extra money on the side. You're on the right track. Slicing is a good way to go for the neural augmenters and crew skill missions. , I've been telling people in my guild to get underworld trading, the price of mandalorian iron is just crazy. bioanalysis and scavenging are great as well. I would suggest looking on the gtn and see how much materials are selling per lot on your server and make your decision based on that. You can make money on any of these crew skills just some will have a little more profit than others.
A'lpine * Prophecy of the Five

psandak
02.20.2013 , 09:31 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarlegant View Post

What he is talking about is 4 million credits for one hour's effort. It can still take several days to actually reap the profits of that effort, but his statement is not wholly unrealistic.

That being said, you do have a valid point, that he is more the exception than the rule. He has probably managed to find a high demand low supply niche market that has very little competition.

asbalana
02.20.2013 , 11:09 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by NLxAROSA View Post
I think both of you are right. Specialization is the key here. You can make boatloads of cash doing just the gathering missions and selling mats, but the same applies for just doing the crafting (while obtaining the mats from the GTN). So there's a definite market for each strategy.

What is really suboptimal is if you try to do both. E.g. when crafting, you can queue up all your companions, churning out items at a steady pace, with hardly any intervention. I can generate a boatload of items per hour that way, while I use my character to do the fun stuff. If I were to gather my own items (especially the more exotic ones) that means my companions are NOT generating items (= loss of income). And there's NO guarantee I'll actually get the exact amount AND type of mats I need for specific items (not very efficient). Or I have to go out to get mats myself, which I find about as interesting as watching paint dry. Better to scourge the GTN looking for bargains (large stacks usually can be acquired at a decent price per item).

Same way the other way around: you can make good money just gathering and selling the mats (mostly for people like me), and don't craft anything at all (better have extra gathering capacity). The efficiency argument I used earlier does not apply in this case, since you are not crafting yourself. Just put any crafted materials on the GTN and people like me will buy them. And again, let your companions do the heavy lifting, and use your character to do the fun stuff (unless you enjoy gathering of course, to each his own ).
Good post and really true.

I mostly deal in mats and kits, but often have crafted mods, armorings, enhancments, implants, etc. left over or from crits when I am gearing a leveling toon. They sell well and at a good price and every so often I am tempted to crank them out. But doing both (mat and aromoring sales) is not really feasible and one cuts the time and profit from the other.

To those that make 4M a day in a short time, you are not profiting from any application other than selling max level (27) armoring or mods. The credit flow is heavily tilted to the raider or pvper who can gather a ton of stabs. I can go a coulple a million a day (when motivated) through mats, kits, and non max level armoring and mods but it takes some time and efffort. So unless someone who can generate that amount of income in a short time can show me otherwise, I would say that your are not really a crafter but rather a raider or pvper who is cashing in on a crappy system that overcompensates non crafting persuits.

PS - To the OP, go scav and arch, and then bio or UT or Slicing for making credits. You may want to add somethng like Synth or Armormech to a second character to craft items that can be REed into components for kits.