Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Help with guardian or sentinel - pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Help with guardian or sentinel - pvp

uanaka
02.10.2013 , 01:03 PM | #1
Hey guys!

I've recently finished with a level 50 gunslinger, and now I'm looking to make more of a melee force user, and I decided either a sentinel or guardian. (I have a sith assassin, and sorc on another server). Anyways, I do plan to pvp everday for my dailies so I'm looking for a strong pvp AC but one that can usually solo pve content.

When I pvp, I intend to pvp with my guild, so there will normally be a healer. But when I pve, it'll usually be solo, with the exception of heroics. In that case, I hope to be able to solo heroics 2, because looking for a partty can be very hard :/.

Furthermore I do intend to pve well enough also, so I want a versatile class. I know the sent has better defensive capabilities, and the guardian has better tanking and a more traditional SW feel, both of which I like. So if I have a healer, which AC should I choose, and which spec if preffered, one for pve and pvp. I understand that dps will be relatively similar from wgat a lot of people say, the 5% range so I'm not too worried. As long as I can usually be within the top tier of damage :P I don't necessarily care for being #1, just as long as I'm up there.

So now, I like the guardian taunts and feel. But I also like the defensive capabilities of a sentinel. So I'm truly at a standstill because I don't know which to choose. I'll have a healer most of the time, but I also want to be able to solo pvp if need be.

I know guardians have more jumps, but are they that useful? I'm more on the side of choosing a guardian, but the little things tthat sents have really irk me about making my decision :/ like how sents apparently have better survivability and usually a higher burst dps.

Hopefully, I provided enough info for you guys to help me. My knight has been like level 11 for a few days,

Ryat
02.10.2013 , 01:06 PM | #2
This sounds like it would be a very hard decision to you. Except that which ever you choose you will enjoy. TBH, flip a coin.

uanaka
02.10.2013 , 07:46 PM | #3
Anyone else?

Bump

I'm still looking for an ac I can pvp with. Right now, I'm thinking of guardian.. but not too sure. If anyone can sell the guardian over the sent would be great. I'm looking for an affirmation I guess... OR. Someone could super sell the sent to me.

Please and thanks!

Aelaias
02.14.2013 , 09:08 PM | #4
In pvp some people swear by their guardians. I mostly swear at them. There is little chance of force sweepers not getting adjusted; they are out of control. And that's the best dps that guardians can do apparently. For pvp tanking I wouldn't because your chances of getting healed outside of an organized situation are not so great. Sentinels can only dps but they are rather good at it, in 2 specs. Not as much pvp utility as guardians, though. For pve tanking guardians are adequate and tanks are often in short supply, unlike dps. If you however insist on being dps I think the consensus is still sentinels due to their higher pve utility and 3 viable pve dps trees.
Shadowlands
Letho - Vanguard
Óberyn-Guardian
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...7-5e5489ff3b47

dcgregorya
02.17.2013 , 05:15 PM | #5
Both are great at PVP and PVE. Guardians are great in PVP because of throws, guard, taunt - they can dominate huttball with CC immunity and intercede, in a DPS spec they put out fantastic single target or AOE damage. A sentinel is better for 1vs1 (but guardians are 'ok' too), they don't get taunts or throws but their single target DPS is incredibly high, plus transcendance and inspiration group boosts, faster interrupts, better defensive cooldowns and survivability.

I'd ask myself, do I care more about scoring in Huttball or winning 1vs1? If the former, go guardian, latter go sentinel.

Ravenwhyte
02.21.2013 , 03:12 AM | #6
I don't really do much pvp so you can take this for what it's worth. I will say I've never lost a duel with a Jedi Knight.

I've leveled a Smuggler (Slinger) and an IA (Sniper) and I've found the fighting ability of my Sentinel (lvl 48) to be weaker and a bit harder to play. Ranged combat, for me anyway, is easier (lazier?) because you can keep everything in front of you and you don't have to move as much. I certainly miss the area effect damage capability. I also don't like using healers but I've been using Doc most of the time through the 40's because I'm so bloody squishy.

The Jedi Knight storyline has been great so far and isn't as convoluted as the Smuggler story. The IA storyline is far superior to either. I am looking forward to an epic finish with my Sentinel and maybe my opinion will change.

Cavell
02.23.2013 , 03:47 AM | #7
I've been in basically the same boat as you for a while now, OP. I'm alternating leveling between a Juggernaut and a Sentinel. The Sentinel, in my opinion, is simply a better soloist class, both in PVE and PVP. Handling Heroic 2s by yourself shouldn't be an issue most of the time, and in PVP, obviously, a Sent should always clean a Guardian's clock.

I can't commit to the Sent over the Jug, though. The Jug's just more fun to play. Part of it may be the Warrior storyline being, in my opinion, miles ahead of the Knight storyline, but there's also just less to micromanage and I don't have to get creative with keybinds.

Muho
02.27.2013 , 12:05 PM | #8
My main is a smash guardian, and I mostly pvp. Sometimes with a healer and sometimes without. For pvp purposes a smash guardian with a healer is god mode in pvp. It's one of the few classes that can put enough pressure on *most* heals - solo - to turn the tide of close battles. Without a healer you've got 3 defensive cd's that will give you 12 seconds of survivability every 3 minutes. That gets a little rough.

Guardians are kick *** in huttball, and very valuable in voidstar (with freezing force and aoe blind).

I haven't played a sentinel, but I play with one in pvp, and the survivability is very good, even solo ,particularly in a tank build.

I have no clue about pve dps.

And before you all flame me for playing easy mode - I played in beta (sage not guardian), and chose my spec long before smashing became such a thing.

Draqsko
02.27.2013 , 09:16 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aelaias View Post
For pve tanking guardians are adequate and tanks are often in short supply, unlike dps. If you however insist on being dps I think the consensus is still sentinels due to their higher pve utility and 3 viable pve dps trees.
That would be incorrect, I can DPS as Vigilance in end game PVE (HM EC and TFB) as well as a sentinel with an inadequate hilt and belt armoring (both are rakata since getting campaign or better is turning out to be a pain, i suck with rolls), we both finish within 10k of each other. Please stop spreading the myth that guardians can't DPS, vigilance is one of the best single target burst DPS classes, especially for PVE. The only warning I'll give is.. dial back the DPS to start a boss fight, because a tank will have a very hard time holding aggro from you if you go all out. The VG tank has had the easiest time holding it, but I can pull it off anyone if I really try, there's just nothing that can compete with rolling out Throw > Leap > SS > MS > PB > (MS with proc) > BS > OHS > (MS if it didn't proc before), at the start of the fight. Only advice I'd give to maximize your DPS, never never never overwrite your PB DoT, it's a huge chunk of DPS, by my raid parses my DoTs total 20% of my damage, with the vast majority being PB.