Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need some hints for sentinel skill trees.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Need some hints for sentinel skill trees.

02.17.2013 , 01:39 PM | #1
I created this Jedi Knight Sentinel toon cause I'm a bit tired of my healer and tanking is not my thing in game.

By taking sentinel, is the first time I have a pure damage dealer class toon and I have huge doubts about what skill tree to pick for both pve and pvp, asked in game and some people say Watchman skill tree the best for pve and Focus skill tree best for pvp, but some others say I should pick combat due the fact it's a skill tree that can be both good for pve and pvp.

Could someone help me clarify this, please? What skill tree should I pick for pve and pvp?
"Mercy is not true, your sins are next to mine"

02.17.2013 , 02:06 PM | #2
Every tree is perfectly viable for both PvP and PvE.

Focus is a "late bloomer" (you'll need to be in the late thirties, maybe even 40+ to really begin being efficient), while Watchman begins to fulfill its purpose by level 21. Combat sort of falls in between as far as progression goes.

Combat has the best damage of all trees, but is also the squishiest. Watchman comes second in damage, and is on par with or better on the defensive side than Focus (Watchman has self-heals while Focus has more damage reduction). Watchman and Combat are single target specs, while Focus's heavy hitter is an AoE-skill.

My advice is just to play around with every spec and see which feels the best for you - optimal damage doesn't matter. (Still recommend Watchman for early leveling.)
Sakků | Faris | Maliris | Sopraano<Reilukerho>Bas'so | Všli | Rai'chu | Jauhe
Delarah | Stilva | Luccia | Ethawn<Lice-Ridden Banthas>Tenori | Baritoni | Weimar | Altto
   The Lihavuori LegacyTomb of Freedon Nadd

02.17.2013 , 03:11 PM | #3
Actually watchman is highest dps and best survivability...the only drawback for pvp is a large chunk of your damage can be cleansed because it is dot.

Combat is squishiest and second best dps. It has tremendous burst that is up quickly.

Focus requires lots of setup to do one 5k x5 targets sweep...and if (when is more apt) miss you're basically sunk...
Republic Paragons/Paragons of the Empire:
To contact in game find Hagimond or Zutharan Republic side for Imperial Side contact Gyrok or Peregrin-Noir

02.18.2013 , 03:46 AM | #4
Thank you for your hints Memo- and Planet_J, they were really helpfull. Now I can make my options with a solid base.
"Mercy is not true, your sins are next to mine"

02.19.2013 , 07:28 AM | #5
this is my personal achilles heel playing a Sentinel. It was my first char I started day one and is still only level 42. I've already leveled two other toon to 50 yet Sentinel kicks my butt. I'm Watchman speced and still feel under powered and squishy. I still cannot get the hang of Zen and Centering, I know I play this toon poorly.

02.19.2013 , 07:57 AM | #6
This guy knows what he is talking about.
Just a few helpful tips for you.