Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
are Light Side and Dark Side equally as powerful?

Sadishist
02.15.2013 , 08:22 PM | #11
Well while you bring up an excellent thought, you are comparing Jedi with Dark Jedi, not Sith. Sith are not Dark Jedi. Dark Jedi become dark for selfish reasons. Sith actually believe in their cause. And becoming Sith only to have equal power as a Jedi doesn't make sense in Sith philosophy.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

DAWUSS
02.15.2013 , 10:31 PM | #12
The dark side is stronger, while the light side is smarter.

Sadishist
02.15.2013 , 10:35 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DAWUSS View Post
The dark side is stronger, while the light side is smarter.
Don't think intelligence is related to Force. Like Cunning isn't Willpower.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Kaedusz
02.16.2013 , 12:04 AM | #14
They are equally powerful from star wars esoteric pov.

However due to the nature of the dark side and also the training regimes of dark siders its easier to find a powerful dark sider,than a powerful lightsiders.
Also dark side powers are more focused on expressing that power visibly so a very powerful sith sorcerer can overcome and defeat equal jedi master,just because jedi powers are focused in different direction.

Weak sith and darksiders in general can't survive the training to become full-fledged sith and die.So you don't see mediocre sith.

The most contributing factor is the force affinity of the given individual and also his conviction in the part of the force he uses.Not the dark side or the light side per se.

Also would like to point out that an exemplary Sith Lord have somewhat better knowledge of the force because they are not afraid of the light side ,they just choose not to use it or something like that.While jedi are too dogmatic to delve into all force mysteries because of fear of dark side corruption.

Conclusion:
It can be said that Sith delve deeper into force mysteries in general and get corrupted by it,while jedi stay save with clear conscience but restrict themselves to what they can achieve with the force.A conclusion that can be drawn is that any force user can be jedi,while only the strongest can be sith.This of course doens't mean that there aren't awesome powerful jedi,it just means that a big number of the jedi order would be too weak to become sith or survive a sith training.Also if the best of the jedi order somewhat became sith and started using all the force including the dark side to its full potency,they would become more powerful than they were while being jedi.But in the usual case that won't happen cus as said above strong conviction is needed.

Khalhazar
02.16.2013 , 02:53 PM | #15
I believe that they are, yes. My main may be sith, but at heart she believes the potentium perspective.

That being said, I'm not sure one can trust Yoda. Is he going to say "yes!" to one of the last undetected force-sensitives in the empire, one of two "last hopes" remaining? Who is, above all else, the son of Anakin Skywalker? Yoda wasn't a fool. Surely Ben would have said that it depends on what Luke meant by "powerful". ;-)
Semah Valerian <Some Sith and a Spy> | Juggernaut | Begeren Colony

legolegion
02.16.2013 , 03:06 PM | #16
Problem is darkside has many lures, even in thought that your doing good can bring you down. Revan is a prime example, he fell thorugh trying to save people from the mandalorians.
Though i was stating earlyier is why you always find sith stronger than most jedi
not all jedi but most

Zardac_the_Great
02.16.2013 , 04:20 PM | #17
The way I see it from the way it's been described is that the Dark Side offers quick, easy power, while the Light offers more total power eventually. If you were going to illustrate this in a game, it would be something like a level 12 sith would be much more powerful than a level 12 jedi, but a level 45 jedi would be more powerful than a level 45 sith, with them reaching power equity around level 40ish.

The problem, as noted before, is that a large number jedi are essentially powerful librarians, leading most sith to be able to more or less mow them down.

Bird_of_Thunder
02.16.2013 , 05:39 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AureusVidere View Post
Because it feels good.

Seriously, think about it like this: You just found out you have superpowers. You realize you have two, *maybe* three, choices. You can A) Enter a monastery, distance yourself from your friends and family, avoid any romantic relationships for the rest of your life, and try to cultivate a nebulously defined "inner peace" to safely develop your powers. Or B) follow your instincts and embrace your emotions to fuel and direct your powers without having to sacrifice anything. The only problem being that you are told that this will eventually lead you to become a horrible evil person.

Now think about it, if someone told you this how much would you *really* believe that you could become an evil monster just because you got some cool powers and refused to become a monk. Surely you would never do any of the crazy, horrible, monstrous things you've heard about a few psychos doing, that's not who you are right? So how dangerous could it really be to keep living your life like you always have, your feelings are what make you human after all, right?

Besides, no one said you had to run off and join the Sith. You can always C) just find your own way. Maybe let the Jedi teach you how to use your powers, but once you've got what you need they can't make you live like a monk, they'll just kick you out of the order. No big deal there, you don't really want to live that life anyway. It's not like you're going to suddenly start murdering or torturing people, you just want to go back to living a fulfilling and enjoyable life of your own.

That's why people take the easy road. Either right away, or once the constant discipline and self-restraint begins to become intolerable. While some people manage to stay "Grey", a lot end up taking the very tempting road all the way down, because it starts with small things and snowballs into bigger things before you catch yourself. You can see a number of dark-side force users who weren't nice people, but weren't looking to blow up random planets for no reason either.

You don't have to go full-on evil to become a powerful dark-side force user, but after a while it can be hard to remember why you aren't committing atrocities for kicks if you let yourself get carried away or end up under the influence of someone who enables you and pushes you to bigger and badder exploits.

There's a lot more I could say on this, but it's largely an expansion of the above.

I can tell you this though. If I became a force user, within a year I'd be fully aligned to the dark-side. Not by choice, but by simple nature. I can't let go, I can't detach from my feelings and instincts, and I will give into my passions. Simple as that.
All hail the wise Force-councilor, for he knows all about the Force and its balances!!!
Lord Ravvok
Annihilation Marauder
<Ebon Hawk, U.S>

Kaedusz
02.17.2013 , 12:56 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Zardac_the_Great View Post
The way I see it from the way it's been described is that the Dark Side offers quick, easy power, while the Light offers more total power eventually. If you were going to illustrate this in a game, it would be something like a level 12 sith would be much more powerful than a level 12 jedi, but a level 45 jedi would be more powerful than a level 45 sith, with them reaching power equity around level 40ish.
This is nonsense man.Ofc Yoda is gonna say dark side is ''quicker ,more seductive'' ,he is a jedi,so it doesn't go more biased than that.

I have simple question for you. Name one jedi that eventually got more total power than a sith,simply because he was an adherent to the light side,and not because he was stronger in the force or something like that.

Why there isn't a single jedi that got ''eventualy'' more '' total power'' in all EU and movie history?Yoda was a thousand years old ,surely for that long he should have gathered more ''total power'' than the 60-70 or something year old Palpatine.

Unibek
02.17.2013 , 11:35 PM | #20
Isn't one of the greatest weaknesses of the Dark Side the fact that they react on emotion which clouds vision? A great example of this is when Darth Malgus murdered his Twi'lek slave/lover Eleena Daru (the one who accompanied him into the Jedi Temple as seen in the opening movies for SWTOR) after the Sacking of Coruscant. Proclaiming that she, because he had feelings for her, was his greatest weakness? Coincidentally after she was spared by a Jedi.

I would argue that being able to control emotion would make you far more powerful than those who thrive on it.