Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Never Played SWTOR - Why All The Hate?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Never Played SWTOR - Why All The Hate?

Vanchatron
02.14.2013 , 11:15 AM | #1
I'm a big fan of MMOs, having played WoW for several years, then on to games such as GW2, TERA, The Secret World etc. I'm now bored of the MMOs that I HAVE played, and am looking for a place to call my new "home" so to speak, in gaming terms.

I've never really been a fan of the Star Wars franchise whatsoever. Yes, I've seen all of the Star Wars movies including the new prequels etc, although that was around 10 years ago. I don't really remember them much at all, and they didn't particularly interest me enough for SWTOR to grab my attention when it was first released.

Obviously now it's over a year since it was released (or more?) and having been burnt out on other MMOs, I'm looking to try out SWTOR. Therefore, I purchased the Digital Deluxe edition on Origin. I know that the game has gone F2P now, although I figured if I'm gonna be playing an MMO, I may aswell get the most out of it therefore I'll probably be paying subscription anyway once my included 30 days has run out.

I'm just wondering though why there is so much negativity/hate for this game all over the Internet. I often post over at MMORPG.com and there's literally a thread there on the main page pretty much every day saying what a disaster SWTOR is and how the game is dead etc etc. The same thing happens to WoW, yet people still play it even with all the negativity surrounding it, so I'm just wondering why exactly SWTOR has such a bad rap.

I've not delved far into it as I've never really been interested in the game, so whenever I saw a thread about SWTOR I'd just ignore it more often than not. Now that I'm interested in playing though, I'm just wondering what all the hate is about. I mean is it REALLY that bad or did people just have too high expectations?

I've purposely put off reading much about SWTOR at all, so that once I log in and create my character later today I can hope to be pleasantly surprised instead of hyping myself up only to be disappointed, which seems to be the case with a lot of SWTOR players. Infact, I don't really know much about the game at all. The thing is, if I hadn't have noticed all the hate surrounding the game, I believe I'd have been drawn to it even sooner. It's just the fact that it was Star Wars in general (which I've never really been a "fan" of so to speak) and people were constantly bashing the game.

Now having purchased the Digital Deluxe Edition, I actually can't wait to start playing, but just figured I'd try to find out exactly why people have been talking about the game like it was such a disappointment. I'm a big fan of themepark MMOs, albeit if there WERE any decent sandboxes out at the moment I'd probably play that, although AFAIK there isn't. Therefore, SWTOR seems to be the best choice for me at the moment, having never tried it out.

Slightrider
02.14.2013 , 11:33 AM | #2
Entitled gamers that think everything should be exactly as they think it should be mostly. There are some bugs in the game (to be expected) But, a great game overall.
¡ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dılɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI

BeToo
02.14.2013 , 11:33 AM | #3
Just ignore the hate - just see if you personally like it.

I, for one, usually don't like flimsy stories within games, and would rather just "get on with it" rather than "watching cut scenes" ... but SWTOR has been different for me. It really can be a fun ride of stories, relationships (you to quest givers as well as companions, etc) and such.

So, does SWTOR have issues, of course. Any piece of software will have bugs and such, and they're never fixed as fast as you'd like. And at times the creative team might differ from you as direction/path the game goes. But overall, I find I really like taking on the different personas of my many alts as they become their own person. Past level 50, the personas you've crafted fade to the background, and it becomes more like the endgame grind I normally don't enjoy very much. But others will find that this is the best part of the game, and stories/leveling is blah.

So please, give it a try and see if it's for you. I think the very silent majority who play the game do enjoy it a lot, even though there are normal game-play annoyances/bugs/etc that you just live with. They're not nearly as bad as people cry about on the forums.

WaldoA
02.14.2013 , 12:03 PM | #4
Like all MMO's they have their good and bad points, but some people tend to only focus on the bad and that's why you hear so much nonsense. Sure I could name plenty of things wrong with the game, but there's also loads to be praised about. I've been playing for several months now and still very fond of the game.

RendValor
02.14.2013 , 12:11 PM | #5
Most people are stupid.

This rule also applies to every-day life
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Gidrea
02.14.2013 , 12:18 PM | #6
These are all good responses. I tell people they should just play it and not worry about what other people think.

That's actually a good rule in everyday life, too. Critics usually have issues

You really don't need any Star Wars knowledge to play, although you might miss a few inside jokes. But as long as you don't hate it, you'll be fine. (And as long as you don't hate on people who DO love it...)
Gidrea / Sallah / Amandageddon / Mädison / Sweetpeä / Randava / Lexä - The Harbinger

Shock and Jawa / Population Control - The family you chose, not the one your parents stuck you with! Join us and be a Jawa!

psandak
02.14.2013 , 02:09 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Slightrider View Post
Entitled gamers that think everything should be exactly as they think it should be mostly. There are some bugs in the game (to be expected) But, a great game overall.
^^^ This above all else.

I grant that they are all entitled to their opinion, but to hate on something and believe that EVERYONE should feel the way they do is just...wrong.

The best thing any new player can do is to play the game and judge for yourself.

Cleet_Xia
02.14.2013 , 03:33 PM | #8
You know that it's not fashionable to have a positive attitude about anything...right?
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~

psandak
02.14.2013 , 03:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
You know that it's not fashionable to have a positive attitude about anything...right?
Well that's gotta change

KBerling
02.14.2013 , 05:36 PM | #10
If you find that you love it, as we all do, you might want to try to find copies of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2. Both really great games, although not MMOs.