Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

3rd Faction

Onymus
02.09.2013 , 12:39 PM | #1
With updates and expansions on the horizon ideas for what to do with endgame content will start to surface. We know that level 55 is coming but how about after that? Level 60 and beyond will need some major ideas to be fresh.

I have heard that when this game was being developed that a 3rd faction was considered. It was scrapped for various reasons but I imagine that some of the work that was done still remains. Which could be a benefit for new engame content.

Lets create access to a 3rd faction. It will be for max level players. Either side can choose to gain some special areas and rewards for staying their faction or they can switch to the new faction. It can be the Hutts or Trading Federation, Banking Guilds or even the Tion Hegemony. It will include a home planet to serve as the Imp/Rep fleet. You will have PvP against either the Imperials or the Republic or themselves for WZs. They will need a couple of new FP to replace the lower level Imp or Rep only FPs. Since the faction is only accesible at max level, levelling up will not be affected.

The new faction areas and especially the new home planet would be accesible to ALL factions. This would ensure that the social aspects of SWTOR are not diminished but expanded.

To make sure that the Imperial and Republic are still attractive both sides will need to have new exclusive reputation rewards and areas added.

This is just an idea building on the reputation system and with expanded endgame content in mind.
Andrunahl 55 Pyro Merc
Jung Ma

anonnn
02.09.2013 , 01:24 PM | #2
If this 3rd faction is for max-level characters, does this mean that a character is leveled to 50 under either the Republic or Imperial faction, then defects to the 3rd faction for the special end-game environment?

Seems like sort of a mercenary faction, like Black Sun or Hidden Daggers, if you remember those? Would the player retain their ship from their "starter faction", or should there be a new ship style for the mercenary faction?

You also didn't mention another possibility, a 3-faction warzone.

There are so many things that are faction-specific... Dailies, abilities, companions ...
Boring conversation anyway.
Think twice. . . Think again.
Nullius in verba. . .

Onymus
02.09.2013 , 02:09 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by anonnn View Post
If this 3rd faction is for max-level characters, does this mean that a character is leveled to 50 under either the Republic or Imperial faction, then defects to the 3rd faction for the special end-game environment?

Seems like sort of a mercenary faction, like Black Sun or Hidden Daggers, if you remember those? Would the player retain their ship from their "starter faction", or should there be a new ship style for the mercenary faction?

You also didn't mention another possibility, a 3-faction warzone.

There are so many things that are faction-specific... Dailies, abilities, companions ...
You are correct this opens up much, much more content.

The new faction would not be open until level 55 or beyond. Existing daily content is geared towards current level 50s so would not be greatly affected. I am assuming that by the time the new faction opens up there will be new dailies for level 55 or whatever the max level would be. There could be new daily areas that accomodate all 3 factions in the same place. This should not be a retrofit slapped on addition but a planned out new endgame branching path of content that both Empire and Republic players have access to.

Your idea for the new faction be mercenaries is great. The new super secret space project they have talked about could change what we know about our ships so I won't offer ideas on that aspect. Having a 3 faction warzone could be problematic and may require a seperate queue, my idea was simply another pool of players to add to WZs.

There are many, many options for more content with a 3rd faction that is why I am supporting it.
Andrunahl 55 Pyro Merc
Jung Ma

snoopdogbaby
02.09.2013 , 06:23 PM | #4
No. The whole point of the narrative is that the war is all-encompassing and it's become less and less possible to avoid choosing sides.

I like the idea, but it would be difficult since they'd have to build 4 new mirror characters, new environments, new starter planets, a new capital world, new stories, etc.

Not to mention a merc faction would defeat the purpose of having bounty hunter and smuggler on separate sides, since they are both technically neutral. Which means they'd need entire new stories, etc.

I like the idea but it'd be too difficult.

ChaoticDynamite
02.09.2013 , 06:50 PM | #5
I don't mean to be the one who shoots down this great idea but this most likely isn't going to happen at least not soon. Like someone else stated above thee things that they would have to construct to even make this viable destroys all hope for this.
If theres one thing SWTOR taught me about PvP is don't hope don't ever hope just start building up your tolerance level.