Do you need to seek permission?

RikHar

Lately, up at the Black Hole running the dailies, some players feel like you need to stop and ask their permission to take a crate or a node that they're near to.

For instance:

Myself and another player get to the same spot at the same time from different directions. He went for the npc's, I went for the crate. I left the area then get a message telling me I wasn't suppose to take the crate that it was his.

I see a group of 2 players and their companions go for a group of npc's which I was going for, so I went for the group directly opposite them on the other side. They finished first being it was 4 of them. Upon finishing I see there's a node of metals near them. As I ride towards to the node I see they were just standing there doing nothing, so I continued towards the node. I get there and I take it. Again, I get another whisper telling me I should of asked permission being the node was theirs.

I remember when I first got to these dalies how other players would come by as I was fighting and take the crates near me, but I never said anything about it. Soon after, I learned that you go for the crates before you begin to fight. Common sense.

I already know the way things are in this game having been here from jump strreet and having played MMO's for many years. I know there's little concern from others as far as decorum is concerned. Most players want and go for theirs and too bad for everyone else. But I usually try to be fair and helpful in most things although most times it's not appreciated by others.

I don't feel like I did anything wrong in either case. But I'd like to hear your take on these type of situations.

Edited by RikHar

My take is, if someone is fighting near a node then I go to the next one. I will check back and see if they have taken the cache/blown the box up as sometimes they may have completed these missions and only need the mobs. But no I generally wouldn't interfere as you did, but it is players like you that mean we have to go for the node first, rather than do the sensible thing and kill the mobs first.

I suspect you know you were being a little selfish, especially in the first instance, but I would never dream of whispering my disapproval at you if you did it around me. Though you might hear me mutter "Jerk" under my breath :p

If someone is currently fighting mobs next to a quest node, and you could not have easily gotten that node without aggroing the mobs had that person not been there, and you take that node, you are a node-stealing jerk.

If someone is currently standing around next to a mat node, and no fighting is happening, and no harvesting is happening, and you take that node, you're probably fine. But I generally wait until people leave to grab nodes and corpses regardless, just to be sure.

If people are fighting next to a node or quest item, I assume they are going to harvest the item when they are done fighting... why else would they engage those specific mobs? Just move along. But if they are just standing there and not fighting or harvesting, then yeah, knock yourself out. It's not that complicated.

it used to be the common unspoken agreement that when you see someone fighting on a node or specific quest mobs you'd wait or find your own spot

I am sticking to this, even if others don't.

sometimes I send them a friendly /w telling them about it, figuring they may not actually know about this 'agreement' because they are new to MMOs or all they ever played was WoW or GW(2 definitely isn't helping here since they have the 'everyone has their own node' setting)

watching out what other people do has always been a part of the MMO experience for me.

I'm sorry to say but... you're a jerk. If someone's fighting (or healing after obviously just fought) next to a node then the node is theirs.

Even in situations like BH when you can grab the node without agro-ing the mob, if someone's engaged with the mob, it's polite to wait to see if they want the node.

Honestly, I wonder how people are brought up today.

If someone is fighting the NPCs next to a crate or node, you're a douche if you go snag it, now, I personally have learned to get the node or crate 1st, but it shouldn't be that way if greedy, lazy people didn't make it so. Edited by Zataos

My take is, if someone is fighting near a node then I go to the next one. I will check back and see if they have taken the cache/blown the box up as sometimes they may have completed these missions and only need the mobs. But no I generally wouldn't interfere as you did, but it is players like you that mean we have to go for the node first, rather than do the sensible thing and kill the mobs first.

I suspect you know you were being a little selfish, especially in the first instance, but I would never dream of whispering my disapproval at you if you did it around me. Though you might hear me mutter "Jerk" under my breath :p

Pretty much this. The only reason anyone has to take the crate first is because people like you will steal it otherwise.

People tend to forget there is an actual person on the other side of that character. Yeah, its just a game, but that's never an excuse to be rude. Fortunately, I haven't seen this happen to much, but the fact that it happens at all is rather irritating. There are never so few nodes that you can't simply go on to the next one.

Take a moment, don't be a jerk.

^.^

It's stupid.The crate is right there at the mobs,it takes all of 3 seconds to grab the crate and then finish off the mobs.At that lvl you are not weak to those mobs at all,specially with your companion with you.If i see you fighting those mobs,the crate is there and you haven't bothered to click it yet,i'm grabbing it.

Blackhole when i do my dailys at prime is usually crowded,if i stand there fighting a mob and haven't grabbed the crate,it's snatched from me in a few seconds guaranteed.That's why i go for it first,and that's why everyone should.

Seriously,are you expecting someone that comes along and needs a crate,to stand there,ask you if you need it while you are fighting mobs,and then wait for your answer before moving on?Whilst at that time,it's nearly certain another random will come along and grab it while you're both wasting time.

Just click your crate first for gods sakes.

Lately, up at the Black Hole running the dailies, some players feel like you need to stop and ask their permission to take a crate or a node that they're near to.

For instance:

Myself and another player get to the same spot at the same time from different directions. He went for the npc's, I went for the crate. I left the area then get a message telling me I wasn't suppose to take the crate that it was his.

I see a group of 2 players and their companions go for a group of npc's which I was going for, so I went for the group directly opposite them on the other side. They finished first being it was 4 of them. Upon finishing I see there's a node of metals near them. As I ride towards to the node I see they were just standing there doing nothing, so I continued towards the node. I get there and I take it. Again, I get another whisper telling me I should of asked permission being the node was theirs.

I remember when I first got to these dalies how other players would come by as I was fighting and take the crates near me, but I never said anything about it. Soon after, I learned that you go for the crates before you begin to fight. Common sense.

I already know the way things are in this game having been here from jump strreet and having played MMO's for many years. I know there's little concern from others as far as decorum is concerned. Most players want and go for theirs and too bad for everyone else. But I usually try to be fair and helpful in most things although most times it's not appreciated by others.

I don't feel like I did anything wrong in either case. But I'd like to hear your take on these type of situations.

It is simple logic.

You let your companion tank the NPCs for a second while you get the create first. Then kill the NPCs after.

If someone can't figure that out on their own... Survival of the fittest.

No, you don't. You have the freedom to take things if other people aren't bothering. If you get it first, then they either chose to agro some NPCs, or just stood there and did nothing. The real jerks are the people who accuse you of beating them to something when they decided to slow themselves down.

This is something that seriously bothers me, and I let the offending players know it. Reported be damned, I don't care. If you are going to hijack a node from someone very obviously fighting mobs to get at it then you deserve to be called any number of choice names, curses, slurs and profanity I can think of at the time.

The fact is that there are some quest mobs, and nodes that can't "be got" before killing the trash nearby. Even Black Hole, before the server consolidations, was never like that. People assumed, and respected that if you were fighting near something, you intended to collect it. After the merges there were too many people and not enough nodes, so people started changing the rules.

I respect that if someone is fighting near a node, they probably want it. Wait for them to leave or move on to the next one, no need to rush in and grab the node out from under them. Its just bad form, and makes you look like jerk. The fact is, many of are clicking the boxes first out of necessity, its like you can't remember the time when people respected each other in this game. It sickens me to think that its come to this. Also if someone is running towards an objective and you fly in on your speeder and nab it compare it to cutting someone off on the highway, "hey man, not my problem he was taking too long to go". We all hate when people don't respect basic driving principles, why do it here too?

I suggest everyone take a step back and re-evaluate what you are doing out there, and realize that the respect of other players in the community goes a long way to helping you succeed in this game, and in life.

Pffft. It depends!

If you're lightside. You wait. That's what a Lightsider does.

If you're darkside. You take it! It's yours! They should have known better! You're darkside! You don't ask for permission! YOU TAKE WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT AND TO HELL WITH ANYONE ELSE!

And if they give you any flak in a whisper, just whisper back, "Feel the power of the dark side. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to a high body count! Let the hate flow through you! Become one with the dark side!"

Then wait a minute and send a second whisper "Or be emo about it like Anakin."

That's why they should click first, fight later...

I was unaware of the instance when common courtesy gets tossed out of the window because the player did not click the item first.

Pffft. It depends!

If you're lightside. You wait. That's what a Lightsider does.

If you're darkside. You take it! It's yours! They should have known better! You're darkside! You don't ask for permission! YOU TAKE WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT AND TO HELL WITH ANYONE ELSE!

And if they give you any flak in a whisper, just whisper back, "Feel the power of the dark side. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to a high body count! Let the hate flow through you! Become one with the dark side!"

Then wait a minute and send a second whisper "Or be emo about it like Anakin."

That is one of the lamest excuses for inconsiderate behavior that I have ever seen.

Edited by TheBBP

This ^^^^^. Pretty simple as a lot of people have said if someone is fighting that mob they are most likely going for that node otherwise they probably would not be there give it a minute or just move on. This is not that complicated just be respectful if you are in line to get something do you just run the to the front knock the guys teeth out and say well I am the strongest so I can go first? No because there are consequences to your action unfortunately in an MMO we can't really do anything to you so people feel free to do what they want.

It comes down to how you want to play. You can be courteous and move on to the next one or just go in and grab whatever you want and be a male appendage protruding from the pelvic region(hope I don't get banned for that).

It's like people who will at all costs try and get ahead of you in a merge while driving. I'm not able to change their behavior and the only thing I have control over is how I react to it. I can either let it piss me off or I can just let it go. Same thing in this game. Act like how you'd like to be treated and don't sweat the jerks.

Try as I might to follow my own advice there have been times where I have let people get under my skin. Like this one time when I was doing my dailies on Section X and there's this one place where a loot chest is guarded by a mob of beasts. It's only accessible from one direction, I'm sure you know the place. So I had just cleared the mob and I'm picking up the drops. I'm about 10-15m from the loot box and I see someone racing up the incline towards the box, and I say to myself that this guy is making a run for the box. I was like hell naw :D and jet boosted to the box and started accessing a split second before this guy does. Of course the loot was lousy but maybe a good 7-8k worth of creds/gear. So I speed off to my next objective and here comes the whispers. "Hey a**hole you totally stole that box from me!" Against better judgment I was compelled to ask back if he had not seen me standing there in the middle of a freshly slaughtered mob and start making my way to the loot box. Of course he proceeded to claim to not having seem me and that I somehow raced up behind him and beat him to the box, lol. I mean really, what are ya gonna do with these people" :rolleyes:

Edited by Voxx_Voltaare

I was unaware of the instance when common courtesy gets tossed out of the window because the player did not click the item first.

That is one of the lamest excuses for inconsiderate behavior that I have ever seen.

So, I take it you don't pick dark side options at all, as that is exactly what some of them are.

Or are you speaking strictly from a player to player perspective. In which, first off, it was a bit of RPish reason, second off, I thought it was obviously a comment made as a joke.

If I see someone fighting mobs nears what I want as well. I either wait and see if they grab it or move on. If the players are just going to stand there and stand there some more, I'll grab the item (and you can tell if they're healing up, because all classes have a healing emote). If I see them just going mob to mob without grabbing any of the items, I'll grab the items. If they're fighting mobs, grabbing the items and moving on, I go find my own mobs.

In fact, most of the time, if I see them fighting mobs near an item, I just bypass them and go to the next group, but if you look back and see them skipping them, yes, take the item. :p

There is no "courtesy" in a modern MMO. You either click asap yourself or watch someone else click it for you.