Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you need to seek permission?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you need to seek permission?

RikHar
02.09.2013 , 06:08 PM | #1
Lately, up at the Black Hole running the dailies, some players feel like you need to stop and ask their permission to take a crate or a node that they're near to.

For instance:

Myself and another player get to the same spot at the same time from different directions. He went for the npc's, I went for the crate. I left the area then get a message telling me I wasn't suppose to take the crate that it was his.

I see a group of 2 players and their companions go for a group of npc's which I was going for, so I went for the group directly opposite them on the other side. They finished first being it was 4 of them. Upon finishing I see there's a node of metals near them. As I ride towards to the node I see they were just standing there doing nothing, so I continued towards the node. I get there and I take it. Again, I get another whisper telling me I should of asked permission being the node was theirs.

I remember when I first got to these dalies how other players would come by as I was fighting and take the crates near me, but I never said anything about it. Soon after, I learned that you go for the crates before you begin to fight. Common sense.

I already know the way things are in this game having been here from jump strreet and having played MMO's for many years. I know there's little concern from others as far as decorum is concerned. Most players want and go for theirs and too bad for everyone else. But I usually try to be fair and helpful in most things although most times it's not appreciated by others.

I don't feel like I did anything wrong in either case. But I'd like to hear your take on these type of situations.

KariTalRathe
02.09.2013 , 06:19 PM | #2
My take is, if someone is fighting near a node then I go to the next one. I will check back and see if they have taken the cache/blown the box up as sometimes they may have completed these missions and only need the mobs. But no I generally wouldn't interfere as you did, but it is players like you that mean we have to go for the node first, rather than do the sensible thing and kill the mobs first.

I suspect you know you were being a little selfish, especially in the first instance, but I would never dream of whispering my disapproval at you if you did it around me. Though you might hear me mutter "Jerk" under my breath

Quething
02.09.2013 , 06:20 PM | #3
If someone is currently fighting mobs next to a quest node, and you could not have easily gotten that node without aggroing the mobs had that person not been there, and you take that node, you are a node-stealing jerk.

If someone is currently standing around next to a mat node, and no fighting is happening, and no harvesting is happening, and you take that node, you're probably fine. But I generally wait until people leave to grab nodes and corpses regardless, just to be sure.

xOxDarkyxOx
02.09.2013 , 06:21 PM | #4
If they are obviously running towards the node (and they are very close) or clearing mobs that surround it, I would leave it alone or ask for permission. Otherwise, no just take it.

ziphii
02.09.2013 , 06:28 PM | #5
If people are fighting next to a node or quest item, I assume they are going to harvest the item when they are done fighting... why else would they engage those specific mobs? Just move along. But if they are just standing there and not fighting or harvesting, then yeah, knock yourself out. It's not that complicated.

TheBBP
02.09.2013 , 06:30 PM | #6
You did not break any rules. But you could elect to exercise some common courtesy. If they are fighting mobs near a clickable item, they are likely fighting for that clicky.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

amnie
02.09.2013 , 06:43 PM | #7
it used to be the common unspoken agreement that when you see someone fighting on a node or specific quest mobs you'd wait or find your own spot

I am sticking to this, even if others don't.

sometimes I send them a friendly /w telling them about it, figuring they may not actually know about this 'agreement' because they are new to MMOs or all they ever played was WoW or GW(2 definitely isn't helping here since they have the 'everyone has their own node' setting)

watching out what other people do has always been a part of the MMO experience for me.

Tsillah
02.09.2013 , 06:48 PM | #8
No, you do not need anyone's permission. That's bull. Common courtesy is a flexible term and your own choice, but the idea that you need to ask permission is a load of nonesense. **** em.
Et In Gehenna Vixi...

Aelther
02.09.2013 , 06:54 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
You did not break any rules. But you could elect to exercise some common courtesy. If they are fighting mobs near a clickable item, they are likely fighting for that clicky.
That's why they should click first, fight later...

Midget_Yoda
02.09.2013 , 06:56 PM | #10
I'm sorry to say but... you're a jerk. If someone's fighting (or healing after obviously just fought) next to a node then the node is theirs.

Even in situations like BH when you can grab the node without agro-ing the mob, if someone's engaged with the mob, it's polite to wait to see if they want the node.

Honestly, I wonder how people are brought up today.