Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks

YeIIow
02.09.2013 , 08:17 AM | #111
Good to see sombody that apreciates the job we tanks do, i actually enjoy playing as tank a lot myself, sure there are some frustrating moments when people have no freaking idea of what to do and decide to ignore all ur indications.

The worse part i would say, is that DPS love blaming the tanks for everything, being a DPS is the easiest thing on this game, at least tanks and Helaers require u to focus and know ur stuff, not just smash bottons randombly.... so for all those DPS out there that spend all their time complaining GO FREAKING ROLL A TANK URSELF AND CUT THE CRAP!
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

KariTalRathe
02.09.2013 , 12:46 PM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Josh_ View Post
And also a little off topic has anyone else had a healer deciding they fancy getting stuck into the fight and being a have a go hero rather than healing their tank? I have had this 2 or 3 times over the last few days and has to be one of the most annoying things I have had. Wouldn't listen and just stick to healing, wanted to pull my hair out.
Lusidious covered this a couple of posts up but to reiterate, if I am healing in a well-geared group that doesn't need a lot of healing attention, then darn right I will add to the dps or CC to make the fight a little faster. On my Operative, the Shiv attack (melee damage) also triggers my Tactical Advantage which is needed in order to burst heal, regen energy AND increase healing output. So yes, I may be stuck into the fight as long as it is safe to do so as it makes for more efficient healing.

This is not a game where the healers stand back (or sit down a la L2) and throw an odd heal up now and again. If a healer isn't constantly working in one way or another then they are slacking.

Lutese
02.09.2013 , 02:39 PM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by Esproc View Post
So many people do not understand the fundamental basics of threat in this game that it is a wonder tanks are given a hard time over holding aggro.

As for guarding the healer, if they are too far from the tank, it is useless to do so, and you are better off guarding the higher dps.

In short, learn the mechanics of the game, all classes and roles, to better handle the situations. If you don't, then it's a good deal that you are in error.
Take some of your own advice here as you are incorrect about how the Guard function works.

So far this thread has been full of some great info side by side with people that are just flat out wrong.

Unfort. for the new or casual player it will be difficult to tell which is which.

EcrirTwyLar
02.09.2013 , 04:29 PM | #114
I've encountered similar frustration playing a healing sage. I've had dps claim that we wiped because I wasn't healing them when I died because I was swamped with adds. People just often immediately cast blame at the healer or tank when it was actually their mistakes that caused the wipe.

Ghost_Spectre
02.09.2013 , 08:44 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by LordSkyKnight View Post
My hat off to people who play dedicated tanks...So to all you people who play tanks, thank you and I know exactly how you feel and why some of you give up to go play dps classes instead.
Thanks and to you too for doing so too. When I started my Jug, I designed him to be nothing but a pure tank. I filled out the Immortal tree with some points in the other trees after reach 50. I've not looked back. When I needed DPS I ran with Jaesa and do so now all the time. Put guard on her, I keep the mobs busy and she burns them down for me. When my guild mates Ops/FPs I tank all the time. Even when I PuG PvP, I put my guard on the healer and stay close them while spamming my taunts as often as necessary and become an aggro sponge. If I can keep 4 or 5 on me in PvP I'm doing my job as a Tank. It's not about damage as a tank as it is protecting the team. I accepted that fact long ago when I first started tanking in CoH/CoV. I love tanking regardless of how awful others think it is. It's the challenge tanking offers that I really enjoy.
Azumi Veng Juggernaut Magnaus Juggernaut Tank Demonicus Healing Sorceress
Tempest TK Sage Requiem Guardian Tank Sei-Cair Gunnery Commando
Starchild Legacy Jedi Convenant Guilds Light/Dark Holiday

Saitada
02.09.2013 , 09:01 PM | #116
Having usually played DPS roles (even on my 'healers) I decided myself to switch to a Tank class and build so I rolled a Vanguard. I was in an easy heroic and the sent kept leaping into the fight before I had grabbed full agro from all the mobs of the groups. I repeatedly told him to WAIT until all the mobs were on me and I had triggered my very visible explosive type AOE to let the group know they could attack now.

Never listened and then complained that I was a bad tank because he kept getting agro, when he would leap in before I HAD agro. Yeah. I ejected him. As a Vanguard I have lots of agro gaining tools. There is no excuse for a group member not to wait until I signal the attack when I have CLEARLY stated what that signal was. So OP, I feel your pain. Running a pure Tank class has made me a significantly better DPS player on my other characters because I know now what to look out for and when to throttle back my attacks so the Tank can maintain agro.

The only time I ignore that advice is if a mob has pealed off and goes after the healer, and then I'll do everything I can to change it's agro focus.

Marb
02.09.2013 , 10:22 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Saitada View Post
Having usually played DPS roles (even on my 'healers) I decided myself to switch to a Tank class and build so I rolled a Vanguard. I was in an easy heroic and the sent kept leaping into the fight before I had grabbed full agro from all the mobs of the groups. I repeatedly told him to WAIT until all the mobs were on me and I had triggered my very visible explosive type AOE to let the group know they could attack now.

Never listened and then complained that I was a bad tank because he kept getting agro, when he would leap in before I HAD agro. Yeah. I ejected him. As a Vanguard I have lots of agro gaining tools. There is no excuse for a group member not to wait until I signal the attack when I have CLEARLY stated what that signal was. So OP, I feel your pain. Running a pure Tank class has made me a significantly better DPS player on my other characters because I know now what to look out for and when to throttle back my attacks so the Tank can maintain agro.

The only time I ignore that advice is if a mob has pealed off and goes after the healer, and then I'll do everything I can to change it's agro focus.
I prefer to think that common group etiquette is well known, but Its the context of the situation that is more important. An overgeared group has no need for a tank in a HM flashpoint, and it is often just easier to let the dps burn everything down, and the healer heal as needed.

Nobody should be having a go at a tank not holding agro in a hardmode flashpoint with everyone burning through in 61's. If a healer in 61's can't keep up dps in a boarding party, thats the healers problem, not the tanks or dps.

These conflicts seem to be focused around the group finder, where you have overgeared players blended with players in gear that the content is balanced for. In a situation where either the healer or the dps are in tionese, then the pace of the flashpoint should be set to accomodate them.
Zerkhan - Harbinger

Saitada
02.09.2013 , 10:36 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Marb View Post
I prefer to think that common group etiquette is well known, but Its the context of the situation that is more important. An overgeared group has no need for a tank in a HM flashpoint, and it is often just easier to let the dps burn everything down, and the healer heal as needed.

Nobody should be having a go at a tank not holding agro in a hardmode flashpoint with everyone burning through in 61's. If a healer in 61's can't keep up dps in a boarding party, thats the healers problem, not the tanks or dps.

These conflicts seem to be focused around the group finder, where you have overgeared players blended with players in gear that the content is balanced for. In a situation where either the healer or the dps are in tionese, then the pace of the flashpoint should be set to accomodate them.
The heroic in question was on Taris. Not high level over geared players. When I group on my 50 I rarely run into situations where we can't burn everything down before it becomes a problem though, but my Commando is dps spec BH geared. My Vanguard is Tank, lower level and geared in blue armorings and mods for her level.

Marb
02.09.2013 , 10:41 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Saitada View Post
The heroic in question was on Taris. Not high level over geared players.
Wow, not much you can do to rationalize stupid. You should have been honored to have been graced by that sentinels presence!
Zerkhan - Harbinger

Sinapus
02.10.2013 , 05:00 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by KariTalRathe View Post
Lusidious covered this a couple of posts up but to reiterate, if I am healing in a well-geared group that doesn't need a lot of healing attention, then darn right I will add to the dps or CC to make the fight a little faster. On my Operative, the Shiv attack (melee damage) also triggers my Tactical Advantage which is needed in order to burst heal, regen energy AND increase healing output. So yes, I may be stuck into the fight as long as it is safe to do so as it makes for more efficient healing.

This is not a game where the healers stand back (or sit down a la L2) and throw an odd heal up now and again. If a healer isn't constantly working in one way or another then they are slacking.
Yeah, if the tank has good aggro and has a lot of health, I throw in a sabotage charge every once in awhile with my scoundrel if I have some energy. Or if it's not going too bad, I've run behind a target and hit it with a back shot or sometimes a dirty kick. Then trigger that silly surrender thing if needed.

Though in one heroic PUG, we didn't have a tank, just my scoundrel, a commando and two sages. Heal-o-rama, plus using the force lift and tranq to keep some enemies occupied. I ended up doing more healing since they had that annoying gas grenade that drives you out of cover, though I was still throwing some attacks in.

"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary